Silver and Steel

@ChickenLittle haha yep! The bike is only feasible for another 6-8 weeks this year.

@zeptrey thank you! I’ll have to look into this; I really appreciate you sending it. Probably no such thing as overkill with getting my health right.

1 Like

Mate I think you need to drop your cardio guard and just commit for a month.

Cardio is like starting a new job

First day you’re terrified.

Second you’re like ‘what the f*^+’ have I got into’

Third you’re telling the missus that you’re thinking of packing it in and going back to the comfort zone.

She convinces you to stick it.

2 weeks later you’re a cardio zen master, fists of fury on the elliptical trainer. Last scene of the Matrix.

Just get an audible account and a heart rate monitor. Go with the flow and experience those warm, smooshy feelings as you watch your resting heart rate decrease over time

3 Likes

Depending on the level of commitment you’re looking for, I’m definitely up for this.

At the minute, my schedule and goals don’t support 5 days a week but 1-1.5 hours of steady state a week is definitely something I’m up for, with the aim of increasing next year.

2 Likes

@ChongLordUno you couldn’t be more right. I love the analogy. Thanks man.

It’s weird I’m like this. It’s now hard to believe, but I used to knock out sub-5-minute miles whenever I felt like it and did 20+ mile ruck marches pretty regularly.

@dagill2 maybe just call your goal and hit it? Tag me so I actually remember to check, please. We can all call each other terrible things for failing

3 Likes

Anything for you matey :kissing_heart::joy:

Just think of it like this

Weight training is for your benefit (your wife as well :wink:)

Cardio is for the wholes families benefit

2 Likes

You’re exactly right - I like it.

Back to what I liked today!
Legs

1. Assault bike x 5 minutes

2. HS Seated Leg Curl
    25/10
    1p/10
    1.25/6
    2p/12 + 8 + 10 partials + 10-second hold

3. SSB Squat
    65/6
    155/4
    205/4
    245/10
    275/10
    Stayed in a comfortable groove on these

4. Horizontal Leg Press
    1pps/10
    3pps/5
    5pps/10 + 6 + 4
    This wasn’t the machine I wanted to use, but it felt great

5. RDL
    3-second eccentric, 1-second pause at bottom
    135/5
    185/5
    So I should have stuck with 135

6. BSS
    Drop set of death: 8 reps + 8-second hold for each weight
    40 + 20 + BW
    This was rough! I don’t know why these are “for me,” but I do like it

All the calf stuff was in use, so I skipped that like a boss. I’ll do my 30 minutes of cardio this afternoon.

4 Likes

Today I did my morning cardio… and that is all

2 Likes

Bu you did it! Cardio FTW.

If you need inspiration and have around 10 minutes to spend, fire up the YouTube and watch a Team Richey video. He’s British, very into CrossFit, surprisingly strong, and makes me want to superset between a rower, bike, and treadmill every time I watch his conditioning vids.

1 Like

Get the flags out!!!

1 Like

I shall take my inspiration from watching the Icelandic CrossFit women named after gods lift more than me!
Honestly, I’m always motivated to do the CrossFit stuff, but who knows what that even is? I guess we can be sure it’s not biceps curls.

I think I’m going to do some of the Jeff Nippard stuff for the next bit. I used to be good about completely switching my style every few months and I think that was good for me.

1. Assault bike 30:30 intervals x 6 minutes

2. Squat
    45/5 x 2
    135/5
    185/4
    225/4
    295/4 x 4

3. DB Incline
    40/10
    60/8
    75/8 x 3

4. MAG Pulldown
    50/8
    100/10 x 3

5. Lying Leg Curl
    60/8
    100/10 x 3

6. Superset:

• EZ Curl
    50/15 + 30/10
    50/10 + 30/10
    50/8 + 30/8

• Hanging Leg Raise
    BW/8 x 3

5 Likes

Like strongman: it’s anything. That’s what makes it awesome. I genuinely was leaning more toward crossfit than strongman when I transitioned away from powerlifting, and the only thing that shifted me toward the latter was the gymnastics movements. My shoulder will rip out of the socket. Otherwise, I think Crossfit gets a lot more right than it gets wrong (admin of course being the exception)

1 Like

Knocked out a 30-minute walk while on a call. Just putting it here to remind myself it’s not real hard.

In whiny news, I was not able to manage my blood pressure well enough to avoid the meds. The goal now becomes getting off of them, or, at least, not having to increase them for the next decade or so.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this. Maybe the lesson here and with strongman is just “do more crazy shit”?

2 Likes

What’s your resting blood pressure?

1 Like

The fluctuations have been pretty wide. When I was sitting in his office, it was 166/118 - obviously pretty alarming. I’m able to get it down to ~130/85 when I haven’t eaten or drank anything and I’m totally at rest, but it’s been there for long enough and I’m young enough that we aren’t comfortable with that. It’s probably most often between 135-140/ ~85. This is not the first time, by far, the conversation has come up.

Ah yes that’s pretty high for being young and fit(ish) should have carried on dark horse :wink: (I’ve found you shoe horn DH principles into other programs I recommend Building the Monolith, giant sets and cardio beforehand).

Nah seriously though sounds like you are focused on fixing it which is good, you making all the usual dietary changes as well as upping cardio?

1 Like

For sure. I was trying to do it with just diet and cardio, but I wasn’t getting there fast enough. I know I was eating like an asshole, so this was a good wake-up call.

I’m likely to revisit an Alsruhe program maybe next year when the pandemic pandemonium dies down and it’s less stressful to do multiple things at once. I’m a fan of:

• Conditioning first
  • Focus on/ work the main lift
  • Just get some work done on the assistance
2 Likes

Maybe “do stuff that rewards more complete athletes”, or simply “balance your training”.

I was going to write “stuff that rewards well rounded athletes” but I had mental images of too many powerlifters who’ve achieved almost perfect “roundness”.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind those but you can keep the running and the swimming

Kind of funny because you were a runner