Silver and Steel

Ok, so here’s my thoughts on the committed ADD challenge; I’m throwing this out there in case anyone has thoughts or wants to do something similar. I’ve been jumping on programs at the same time as other members the last couple times I’ve actually done a program, and I like it!

I’m finishing up Dark Horse right now. I likely won’t do the deload/ testing weeks, because I don’t care and didn’t have a real baseline anyway. That takes me to mid-September; I don’t know exactly when, because I’m not a mathematician! I think the second week-ish?

Anyway, I am going to teach ROTC as a reservist (that’s right - when we wonder why the next generation and the world is going wrong, you now have a single point of failure to examine). So my goals are:

• Look jacked
  • Force them to keep up with me
    My understanding of what they’re doing these days means it’s not long crazy ruck marches or anything like we used to do. Their run is still the two-mile, but they have more combine-type tests as their focus now.

So, I’m thinking my measurables are:

1. Big upper body
  2. Decent body fat
  3. Good lungs inside the 15-minute timeframe
  4. Acceptable running (no worse than a 7.5 minute mile, which is extremely slow but fine for my age)

So my plan:

1. Finish up Dark Horse and never speak of it again
  2. Do a hypertrophy program - anyone want to jump on a Meadows plan?? I also think Thibs’ conjugate bodybuilding is cool. I might just rotate 6-week programs here to be consistent with my attention span.
  3. Hard cardio after heavy days (so like Crossfit baseline workouts, sled, etc.); Running on off/ light days. So legs would get 10 minutes of sled pushes and arm day would get a 1.5 mile run, as an example. I don’t get to do abs/ calves/ etc. unless I’ve done the cardio.
  4. I’m baselining my calories now, but I’m currently about 205. As I finish Dark Horse, I’m going to get myself to the low 190s and hold that for a couple weeks. I’m then going to try to actually structure a reverse diet and see how high I can go, calorically, and maintain visible abs without squinting.

Thoughts??

2 Likes