T Nation

The Cut Begins - Advise?

So I’m in the process of trying to shift the excess lbs that have accumulated over the last 10 months. Last cut I did a carb cycling type diet. But it was a bit extreme for a non contest diet and I have no real interest in going down that road again. I was thinking of a simple in vs out diet with a cheat meal a week.

Diet would be 250g protein, 200g carbs and 90-100g fat (2600-2800 cals) on, on days. Lower carbs on off days (2300-2400 cals)

A typical on day would be:

Brekkie: rice flour, eggs and berries, pineapple or kiwi
Snack: oats, peanut butter and protein blend shake
Lunch: chicken thighs and mixed veg.
Pre-workout: chicken, rice and beans
Post workout and during: waxy maize, bcaas and whey after.
Dinner: either fish, red meat or chicken, small amount of carbs and plenty of olive oil.
Pre-bed protein blend shake

Off day:

Brekkie same
Snack same
Lunch, salmon, butter, spinach, and veg
Snack, steak,veg and some rice
Dinner same
Pre bed same

Would drink EAAs during the days. Cardio will start as two 20 min sessions of sprints a week on off days with 20 mins walking each day (good paced).

Any seasoned guys know if this would be sufficient for losing fat? As I said I’ve only ever done “contest” style diets but think it’s a bit OTT for getting to just 10% BF.

Not to the end of my first serious cut yet, but I can say I’ve become a huge fan of doing more and eating more. Lots of volume in the gym, plenty of conditioning and cardio, and keeping my calories as high as I can. As opposed to dropping calories and trying to avoid doing work that might burn muscle.

I’m down a total of 45 pounds from my heaviest as of this morning. Mine has been more of a long term diet though.

where are you now and how much do you have to lose?

Looks good man, what’s your height/weight/bf%? It shouldn’t be too hard getting down to 10%

Currently 187lbs at probably a honest 15-18% (tops 18%, probably 15%)! Last cut I came in at a lean 167lb. So if I can get to that again and be a bit leaner or be a bit bigger then great.

Do it slowly and try to keep the weights you use at the gym and the intensity up. Seeing as you’ve already gotten lean before this should be pretty easy for you to do and end up 3-5 lbs heavier than last time at the same bf bro

I’d hold out on the cardio and just focus on diet first. Add cardio in when stalling. Good luck to you! I’m about the same stats and will begin cutting soon.

[quote]shffl wrote:
I’d hold out on the cardio and just focus on diet first. Add cardio in when stalling. [/quote]

I’d start cardio now. Get lean, I do an hour day, we have similar goals. Might as well do all you can do now so you’re not wasting time. That’s my opinion at least.

I understand where you’re coming from austin, but I disagree. Shelby explained cardio and dieting like this, you wanna hold off on adding in cardio for as long as possible because as the cut progresses, you can only drop calories so much. You start to slowly add cardio in as your calorie deficit gets closer to the absolute minimum. That way you don’t play all your cards at once.

[quote]gato10 wrote:
I understand where you’re coming from austin, but I disagree. Shelby explained cardio and dieting like this, you wanna hold off on adding in cardio for as long as possible because as the cut progresses, you can only drop calories so much. You start to slowly add cardio in as your calorie deficit gets closer to the absolute minimum. That way you don’t play all your cards at once. [/quote]

I guess I can agree. I also hold the philosophy that I’d rather eat more on a diet and do more cardio then eat really minimal cals. Just seems better to me. Obviously to get shredded you will be eating very low calories at one point or another.

My cardio is the same as i was doing while trying to gain mass. One or two sessions a week. I’d like to keep the cardio low and only increase it when needed. Last cut i started on 40 minutes (low intensity) a day and increased from there. I really felt this cost me muscle. I also kept my training the same but really this time i want to think more about higher weight, lower sets to save mass.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]gato10 wrote:
I understand where you’re coming from austin, but I disagree. Shelby explained cardio and dieting like this, you wanna hold off on adding in cardio for as long as possible because as the cut progresses, you can only drop calories so much. You start to slowly add cardio in as your calorie deficit gets closer to the absolute minimum. That way you don’t play all your cards at once. [/quote]

I guess I can agree. I also hold the philosophy that I’d rather eat more on a diet and do more cardio then eat really minimal cals. Just seems better to me. Obviously to get shredded you will be eating very low calories at one point or another.[/quote]

x2

I like to increase work until I can’t, then start dropping calories as I half too. Still isn’t playing all the cards at once, just a different order.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]gato10 wrote:
I understand where you’re coming from austin, but I disagree. Shelby explained cardio and dieting like this, you wanna hold off on adding in cardio for as long as possible because as the cut progresses, you can only drop calories so much. You start to slowly add cardio in as your calorie deficit gets closer to the absolute minimum. That way you don’t play all your cards at once. [/quote]

I guess I can agree. I also hold the philosophy that I’d rather eat more on a diet and do more cardio then eat really minimal cals. Just seems better to me. Obviously to get shredded you will be eating very low calories at one point or another.[/quote]

x2

I like to increase work until I can’t, then start dropping calories as I half too. Still isn’t playing all the cards at once, just a different order.[/quote]

It’s something Evan Centopani said in a video that I won’t forget. I feel this is even more important training naturally because there is more chance of losing muscle once the cals get really low. The whole idea is I’d rather be fueling my body with as much quality nutrition as I can whilst still losing weight even if that means burning more with cardio. I guess it’s easy for me too because I don’t mind cardio.