The Contender 2

Anybody catch the last two fights on the contender?

This is one helluva show, and proally the only reality crap I can watch…

if you missed you can view clips from ESPN Contender

and I think ESPN360 still has clips up.

jay, was one of the fights the two hispanic fighters and the guy who lost was going to Harvard I think? If so, that was a kick ass fight. I just happened to be flipping through the channels when I caught that and had to leave it there and watch it.

D

I think I like The Contendor better than TUF. I wish they didn’t edit the fights, but it does make it more exciting to the casual fan. Anything that promotes fighting sports is OK in my book.

i love the contender, i am really into reality sports shows like this that show the players train/eat/ live together, real stuff like this.

I liked the original series, but it was pretty clear that the fights were edited for non-boxing fans – they were basically five minutes of straight punching. Hell, they even added in sound effects.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
jay, was one of the fights the two hispanic fighters and the guy who lost was going to Harvard I think? If so, that was a kick ass fight. I just happened to be flipping through the channels when I caught that and had to leave it there and watch it.

D[/quote]

What’s up D?

Yeah, the 2nd fight was Bravo -v- Cisneros. Bravo won, and I know Cisneros is in college, but not sure where he is attending.

And last night was another great fight
Torres -v- Balletto. Torres is a loud mouth that kept on smiling at the crowd, so it was nice to see him lose.

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
Dedicated wrote:

D

What’s up D?

Yeah, the 2nd fight was Bravo -v- Cisneros. Bravo won, and I know Cisneros is in college, but not sure where he is attending.

And last night was another great fight
Torres -v- Balletto. Torres is a loud mouth that kept on smiling at the crowd, so it was nice to see him lose.

[/quote]

Yeah jay, that was the fight. My pops and nephew are big boxing fans and they both told me this season is really good. I missed last nights fight, but I am going to make a point to watch the next episode.

D

Great show, miss Sly.

So far this season looks great. The first fight was funny when K-9 punked that trash talker. I could not find the episode last night for some reason so I will have to wait and have my tivo catch it.

There are still some guys I can’t wait to see fight.

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
I liked the original series, but it was pretty clear that the fights were edited for non-boxing fans – they were basically five minutes of straight punching. Hell, they even added in sound effects.[/quote]

That drives me crazy.

I think editing the fights sucks because you can’t get a feel for how the fight is going.

imho, this is really sad how far boxing has dropped. I could put up with the reality stuff if they actually showed full boxing rounds.
3 minutes of boxing cut down to 1 minute with cuts to Sugar Ray Leonard? I began to wonder if they fought in front of a blue screen and then brought in the audience afterword.

The first two episodes i thought the camera work and directing was awsome. it really got you emocionally involved in the fight with the shots of the fighter’s family members and what not.

then by the third one i realized every episode was the same.

I am not a big fan of the editing as well, but you are right. Boxing has dropped; hence, the reason for a show like this to bring boxing back. And the final episode/fights are live.

[quote]spacepirate wrote:
imho, this is really sad how far boxing has dropped. I could put up with the reality stuff if they actually showed full boxing rounds.
3 minutes of boxing cut down to 1 minute with cuts to Sugar Ray Leonard? I began to wonder if they fought in front of a blue screen and then brought in the audience afterword. [/quote]

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Yeah jay, that was the fight. My pops and nephew are big boxing fans and they both told me this season is really good. I missed last nights fight, but I am going to make a point to watch the next episode.

D[/quote]

I know ESPN plays the heck out of their shows, so I am sure you can catch it sometime before the next epsiode.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
So far this season looks great. The first fight was funny when K-9 punked that trash talker. I could not find the episode last night for some reason so I will have to wait and have my tivo catch it.

There are still some guys I can’t wait to see fight. [/quote]

Yeap, the two biggest trash talkers are out…Now Vinroy is calling out that other dude…And since the yellow team chooses the next fight, wonder if he will fight?

I like the contender series, but I think the ultimate fighter series still owns it as far as the excitement factor goes. If they took out the editing of the boxing and stopped with all the stupid drama buildup, it be a much better show!!!

Last night’s show was alright. I think Walter Wright has some skills, but is another loud mouth.

He made Easton look actually quite silly in the ring, and I wonder how he made it as one of the final 16? He had heart to get up after he was knocked on his ass in the first round, but the guy’s punches weren’t all that great.

I dig this show also and watch it when I can…including the reruns. But what I can’t stand is the sound effects with the punching…Plus what I really can’t stand is the Toyota sponsorship. That crap is all over the damn show. They were going to dinner and you hear his voice saying, “Let’s all hop into my Toyota Sequoia”. I hate sponsorship bullshit.