The Confidence of Ignorance

http://www.myosynthesis.com/confidence-of-ignorance

An interesting article from a guy called Matt Perryman. Seems especially relevant given the current state of the bodybuilding forums.

The bottom line (figuratively and literally): You can be wrong no matter how rational you think you are.

Great article. Really hits home with a lot of its points.

S

Good read. This article, while focused on the iron game, can be applied to any area of life.

My favorite quote:

“There comes a point where questioning is less about discovering truth and much more about preserving your ego by defending the views in which you are invested.”

It certainly is tough to question one’s own values and beliefs, but it is a necessary action if one wishes to better themselves and their life.

[quote]James Brown wrote:

An interesting article from a guy called Matt Perryman. Seems especially relevant given the current state of the bodybuilding forums.

The bottom line (figuratively and literally): You can be wrong no matter how rational you think you are.[/quote]

Bro, you weigh 176 lbs?

You can’t post interesting articles like that until you’re at least 180.

[quote]gregron wrote:

The bottom line (figuratively and literally): You can be wrong no matter how rational you think you are.[/quote]

Bro, you weigh 176 lbs?

You can’t post interesting articles like that until you’re at least 180.[/quote]

Physically, I’m 176; Mentally, I’m like, at least 210.

[quote]gregron wrote:

Bro, you weigh 176 lbs?

You can’t post interesting articles like that until you’re at least 180.[/quote]

[/quote]

In that case, my sincerest apologies.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Bro, you weigh 176 lbs?

[/quote]

In that case, my sincerest apologies. [/quote]

Although I’ll probably hit 180 by the time I’ve finished reading all his articles.

I really like that explanation of things. This is why someone who has practical experience, also deeply studies science, and applies it to thousands of clients is the person to listen to for your first couple years of your bodybuilding journey. He may be outdated a little bit but if you are a committed natural, following Vince Gironda’s advice for awhile is the best thing you could ever do. The guy more than likely trained more tv and movie stars into great shape then anyone on this board has regular clients. Nobody on the internet could touch the number of enthusiasts trained let alone the fact his advice has been sucessfully used by larry scott, don howorth, reg lewis, chirs dickerson, sergio olivia, steve davis, jim morris, ray routledge, mohammed makkawy and countless other pro BBers.

“That’s all bro-science bro…” And you wonder why you haven’t reached the top of the mountain, so to speak.

I agree some ideas are out there and dogmatic but if you only have every used a couple of his exercises or possibly a workout and never actually tried followed his entire method you really missing out. Beginners could cut straight through all the crap and get to a respectable level in much less time instead of years spinning their wheels