The Complete Power Look Program Question

https://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2257 slight decline on bench for reduced shoulder pain.

[quote]domcib wrote:
If possible I could use some ideas.
My left shoulder really just hasnā€™t healed. So, benching is a problem. I really canā€™t do much weight at all. Last year I was able to do some neutral grip. This year, neutral grip hurts more than anything. Muscle development in my chest has suffered substantially.

So, I would like some ideas on building chest muscle while doing this program. Everything else is coming along just fine.
Exercises, sets, reps, frequency??

Also, I must be doing the Zercher carries incorrectly, because I really do not feel it in my chest much. I feel it more in my upper back, and some arms. Any ideas?
thanks[/quote]

https://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2257 slight decline on bench for reduced shoulder pain.

If you have bands hook a pairā€“start with miniā€™sā€“onto a barbell about chest high in the power rack, walk out to put some tension on the bands and do some flies with the bands; you can also do these one arm at a time by grabbing the band with one hand with your body aligned in the same plane as the band attachment and pull the band across your chest for 10 to 12 reps, then switch sides and do the same with the other hand.

If this doesnā€™t bother your shoulder, work your way up in bandsā€“from mini to monster-mini for example. If these donā€™t bother your chest, I would also suggest focusing on the negative aspect of each rep. Hope this works and helps you out.

Hi Coach,

Can we change front squat to normal squat, and push press to high pulls?

[quote]kubackjeee wrote:
Hi Coach,

Can we change front squat to normal squat, and push press to high pulls?[/quote]

You can use any exercises you want with this scheme (except for the traditional Olympic lifts) but understand that the assistance exercises need to fit your exercises of choice.

Ok for squat i can take assistance exercises from 915 program. High pulls Iƃ?ƂĀ“ve just started learning so I have to work on the full move. But from Iƃ?ƂĀ“ve observed yet is that i have problem in the last phase of move when it comes to pull elbow high. What assist moves to You reccomend for high pulls.

Can i maybe add some GF shoulders to the program? want to work on my shoulders more.

Thanks for all Your support. And sorry for so many questions, but I just started following Your methods. There is a lot of reading, but the knowlege I get from Your log is amazing! Keep up the GOOD job!

hello Christian

I started your program
But I have a problem
my back and especially the left side is weak,
an injury that I had in the past
This makes me i am not so stable on the bench , my back and specially the shoulders its a weak point for me
monday in the front squats my left shoulder falling after a couple of reps on the pause squats (i used clean grip and on the last 4 weeks with jim wendler programm with no problem)

yesterady was bench day

i started with 2 sets 12.5 15kg each hand normal dumbell press and it was ok
on the third set i used 17.5 kg dumbells with palm face its other with 2 hands at the same time on my assistance work
my right side it was ok but with my left it was harder to finished it

on the last set i choose to go with 1-1 hand

on the right side 7 reps complete with neutral grip
on the left side 5 reps complete

the problem its on the teres major minor , somewhere there

I can add in all the days an exercise rowing or pulling or face pull at the end of the program ?
also deal only with the left side and later to deal with the two?

i am thinking to used that programm with light weights at the start as a ā€˜ā€˜warm upā€™ā€™ and to strenght the left side

dumbbell-reverse-flies

side-lying-external-shoulder-rotation

side-lying-shoulder-flexion

y-t-i

row-external-rotation-press

4 sets each . left side / right side reps :

1st set 15/8
2nd set 12/6
3rd set 8/4
4th set 8/2

what you believe ?

@CT with the front squat my training partnerā€™s glutes are weak in the lockout. Would you ever use front box squats to add more posterior chain in the movement pattern?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
@CT with the front squat my training partnerā€™s glutes are weak in the lockout. Would you ever use front box squats to add more posterior chain in the movement pattern?[/quote]

Never, Iā€™ve never been a fan of box squatting much less box front squatting. The front squat is supposed to be ā€œanterior chainā€ dominant, you do not want to modify it to become more posterior chainā€¦ might as well use a real posterior chain exercise: it will do a better job and will not screw up the mechanics of the front squat. The assistance exercises do not have to be variations of the main movement.

Hey coach

My gym has not rack with pins for Top-half press from pins

I have the following Alternatives

the same movement but on smith machine seated

seated on the rack and press seated from the hooks
but should I have my mind to not knock the higher hook when i press the bar or when i lowering

press from a small rack (used for declince bench) seated but without support my back

its complicated but its only what i can do for that movement , any other suggestion ?

[quote]g.k. wrote:
Hey coach

My gym has not rack with pins for Top-half press from pins

I have the following Alternatives

the same movement but on smith machine seated

seated on the rack and press seated from the hooks
but should I have my mind to not knock the higher hook when i press the bar or when i lowering

press from a small rack (used for declince bench) seated but without support my back

its complicated but its only what i can do for that movement , any other suggestion ?
[/quote]

Last option

Might as well chime in.

Did the program. 10 weeks.

Loved the front squat. Thought rest-pause was hard until I did the 1 1/4ā€¦ Plazma was my friend. VERY good friend. added 10 lbs. Of what? Muscle and fat!!!

Not really caring about that. But my wife mentioned my body had changed a lot. I once weighted 245 with lowish BF,so muscle memory?!?!

I learned that I love the front squat. I mean, I really do not have a reason to do back squat anymore. I only did dead squats, no conventional DLā€™s. Love it. My shoulder was strong enough to actually press and got way stronger. Using 45ā€™s plates for the first time in years (very bad shoulder accident that left me not able to push a stick without pain).

I also learned to breath better on the front squat. And the rest of my lift, for that matter. I actually really wanted to improve on that one.

Overall, I really enjoyed this program. Will probably give it another go in 6-8 months.

Thanks coach for the answer

one last thing

on the 3 basics

bench , push press , squats it was toughed on 5x4 and 5x5 , and especially the bench

But my deadlift was relatively easy and on 5x4 and 5x5

because Iā€™m tall so long I did sumo deadlift

but decided on this program to do convetional

I have reached a point that convetional and deficit has only 10kg different

increase the weight or remain on the same weight ?

and on the bench because it is the only exercise i suffer because of large limbs,
if continue to be hard decrease the weight ?

Hi CT, first of all thanks for the program, really enjoying it, now, my question is, what do you think about adding a 5th day of lats/biceps like you have in HP mass program? I feel like low back and traps are improving a lot but the lats not that much, would it be a good idea? of course I would do it far away from the DL session to avoid hurting performance, im young and my work capacity is great! Your thoughts? Thanks a lot!

[quote]aartu9 wrote:
Hi CT, first of all thanks for the program, really enjoying it, now, my question is, what do you think about adding a 5th day of lats/biceps like you have in HP mass program? I feel like low back and traps are improving a lot but the lats not that much, would it be a good idea? of course I would do it far away from the DL session to avoid hurting performance, im young and my work capacity is great! Your thoughts? Thanks a lot![/quote]

Sure, I just finished writing a new program with a similar periodization scheme on the big lifts and added a back/biceps day to it

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]aartu9 wrote:
Hi CT, first of all thanks for the program, really enjoying it, now, my question is, what do you think about adding a 5th day of lats/biceps like you have in HP mass program? I feel like low back and traps are improving a lot but the lats not that much, would it be a good idea? of course I would do it far away from the DL session to avoid hurting performance, im young and my work capacity is great! Your thoughts? Thanks a lot![/quote]

Sure, I just finished writing a new program with a similar periodization scheme on the big lifts and added a back/biceps day to it[/quote]

thanks coach, last question, how would you structure that back/biceps day to be effective and no so hard on the nervous system? (I suppose thats necessary) Thank you very much.

Hello! Will the new program you mentioned be published here on T-Nation, or is it exclusive to you and/or your clients?

Thank you!

[quote]Sven-Andreas wrote:
Hello! Will the new program you mentioned be published here on T-Nation, or is it exclusive to you and/or your clients?

Thank you![/quote]

On Tnation

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Sven-Andreas wrote:

Thank you![/quote]

On Tnation[/quote]

canā€™t wait.

Hi Christian, what do you think about doing neural charge workouts as circuits on off days like you have us doing in your HP Mass program? Do you think it would help? I hate completely off days! Thanks!