The Complete Power Look Program Question

CT,

Great program; can I ask on the assistance what %'s you should be using?

For the 4 x 8 for example.

I did the front squat day yesterday and did:

(1RM) = 140kg

4 x 8 @ 80kg for the paused front squat.

Do you think this is about correct?

Thanks.

[quote]rsmitty1988 wrote:
I was wondering what the training/rest split you would recommend for this program? I was thinking 2 on 2 off then two one 1 off? Thanks![/quote]

On
On
Off
On
OFF
On
OFF

I try to never have 2 days off in a row, it seems to negatively affect nervous system readiness.

Coach,

I had a question about the selection of the exercises for your power program:
I noticed in your program you have the bench press as one of the major 4. While I understand that the bench press is a staple exercise (if you’re a powerlifter) and develops beach muscles, but I was wondering why you put such emphasis on it? I’ve done quit a few sports (everything from triathlons to judo, etc) and I find that except for very particular situations or sports, the chest doesn’t really need to be that developed. What I don’t understand is why you don’t put more of an emphasis on the barbell row or another pulling exercise such as the chinup/pullup?

Too long didn’t read: Why is your program bench, deadlift, press and front squat, instead of row/pull up, deadlift, press and front squat?

I understand that the questions are out of the scope of the purpose of this training plan, and I am following your plan to the T, but I am just curious about the reasoning behind it.

Thanks

Coach,

Just finished week 1 today and all good so far. My question is, what can I substitute for decline bench later in the program? I lift in a garage gym at home that is pretty well equipped so I can do everything else in the program but I would prefer to not buy a $500+ adjustable bench for a few weeks of decline benches. Is there something I can put in its place? Some kind of partial rep or something?

Thanks!

[quote]sawyerfamilyaz wrote:
Coach,

Just finished week 1 today and all good so far. My question is, what can I substitute for decline bench later in the program? I lift in a garage gym at home that is pretty well equipped so I can do everything else in the program but I would prefer to not buy a $500+ adjustable bench for a few weeks of decline benches. Is there something I can put in its place? Some kind of partial rep or something?

Thanks![/quote]

1/2 (top half) bench press

Any movement where you can use more than your regular bench really.

Coach,
Would it be acceptable to do the split squats in the smith machine?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Coach,
Would it be acceptable to do the split squats in the smith machine? [/quote]

No. Not a fan.

As far as building the legs go it probably wont make much of a difference but you will build less stability and core strength which is a big part of the exercise.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Coach,

I noticed in your program you have the bench press as one of the major 4. While I understand that the bench press is a staple exercise (if you’re a powerlifter) and develops beach muscles, but I was wondering why you put such emphasis on it? I’ve done quit a few sports (everything from triathlons to judo, etc) and I find that except for very particular situations or sports, the chest doesn’t really need to be that developed. What I don’t understand is why you don’t put more of an emphasis on the barbell row or another pulling exercise such as the chinup/pullup?

Too long didn’t read: Why is your program bench, deadlift, press and front squat, instead of row/pull up, deadlift, press and front squat?

I understand that the questions are out of the scope of the purpose of this training plan, and I am following your plan to the T, but I am just curious about the reasoning behind it.

Thanks[/quote]

No answer for this?

Coach,

Thanks[/quote]

No answer for this?[/quote]

There is a hint hidden in the title of the program. The purpose of the POWER LOOK program is to build a LOOK of POWER. A big, meaty chest and bulging anterior delts help to make a person LOOK POWERful.

If you want a program to help with Judo and triathlon performance, or sports performance in general, do a different program.

Given the title of the program I’m not sure where you got this was an optimal program for things like triathlons and judo, or anything other than developing the attributes as named in the title of the program.

Coach,

I am currently in week 3 of the program and I have been working around some knee pain. I have found that adding some direct hamstring work (light/moderate volume) after a session seems to help. Is this a good idea or should I try alternate versions or substitutes of any movements that exacerbate the issue?

Thank you

Also, how do you suggest incorporating ab and calf work into this program?

Thank you

Thank you

[quote]drutastic wrote:

Thank you[/quote]

Not CT but I know that he usually recommends “blitz cycles” for abs where he works them hard and almost every day for 3-4 weeks and then doesn’t do any direct ab work at all for 3-4 weeks. He recommends no more than 10-15 mins of ab work after your main workout.
You can reference this post here: Redirecting...

As for calves, i’ve been following something Chad Waterbury laid out in this article:
https://www.T-Nation.com/training/no-weights-calf-training

I’ve seen some results in my calves over the past two weeks and it doesn’t detract from my main workouts.

[quote]drutastic wrote:

Thank you[/quote]

Yeah, as it was mentioned I work abs in blitz cycles. For 2-4 weeks I ill work them every day at the end of my workouts, 3-4 sets of a superset of 1 loaded and 1 unloaded movement normally.

I have never done as single set of any calves exercise in my life and never plan it in my client’s programs.

Going into Week 4 with Front Squat session tonight.

Coach, if you had access to bands, would you modify the assistance exercises at all? Just curious. I know you designed the program for use with standard equipment that everyone has but just wondering if you were working your own client and had rack with pegs, bands, etc, would you take advantage somehow?

Thanks for the program, loving it!

[quote]sawyerfamilyaz wrote:
Going into Week 4 with Front Squat session tonight.

Coach, if you had access to bands, would you modify the assistance exercises at all? Just curious. I know you designed the program for use with standard equipment that everyone has but just wondering if you were working your own client and had rack with pegs, bands, etc, would you take advantage somehow?

Thanks for the program, loving it![/quote]

Yes. You are right, when I design programs for the site now I design them so that everybody with basic equipment can do it.

Bands are a great tool BUT they place a tremendous stress on the body and you shouldn’t use them for too long. 3 weeks tops.

I would use bottom bands bands for 3 weeks as an overload movement during phase 2 and reverse bands as the overload movement for the last phase.

Hi CT

I have been following your program exactly as outlined here. Until now I am feeling great and stronger.

Last time with the front squats I started to feel the same sensation I had the two times I injured my meniscus. It is been several days of that workout and I still have that vague sensation. The thing is than both times I injured my meniscus it was with paused squats. Guess that maybe my meniscus does not stand the hold on the bottom position

Is there another exercise that I could use instead of paused squats?

Thanks in advance for the program and for your answer

CT,
Just wanted to thank you for introducing me to the suck that is 5x6 at 80%. First with your 915 program and now with this one. Wow.

I have found with both programs that I have to use rest pause to get through all 6 reps. Is this acceptable or am I estimating my 1rm too high?

Thanks

[quote]Sinistro wrote:
CT,
Just wanted to thank you for introducing me to the suck that is 5x6 at 80%. First with your 915 program and now with this one. Wow.

I have found with both programs that I have to use rest pause to get through all 6 reps. Is this acceptable or am I estimating my 1rm too high?

Thanks[/quote]

Both :slight_smile:

5 x 6 @ 80% is extreme. Not everybody will get through it and rest-pausing it is certainly acceptable.

BUT most people do tend to overestimate their 1RM, or take a record that they hit once an never matched after that. To me a 1RM n which you plan your training cyucle around is a max weight you can hit pretty much any time you attempt and that doesn’t cause any psychological stress. Better to be s bit safer.