The Complete Power Look Program Question

Hi Coach
Great Routine.
In week 5, 6, 7 day 1. It should be 1 and 1/4 first and then 1/2? It says 1/2 twice?
Thanks
Julien

New routine looks great. Would this be an appropriate routine following Dan John’s 40 day plan that he recently wrote about? Would you recommend moving into something less strenuous for a couple weeks? Thanks.

great program coach, thanks. what would you think of replacing push press with clean & jerk. I respect that you designed this program to do what it says on the tin but just wondering if you think its a reasonable alternative?

thanks

[quote]lotsi81 wrote:
New routine looks great. Would this be an appropriate routine following Dan John’s 40 day plan that he recently wrote about? Would you recommend moving into something less strenuous for a couple weeks? Thanks.[/quote]

I’m not familiar with that program. But Dan is normally on the low end of the volume spectrum so you should be fine moving on to the power look program after that.

[quote]prohan wrote:
great program coach, thanks. what would you think of replacing push press with clean & jerk. I respect that you designed this program to do what it says on the tin but just wondering if you think its a reasonable alternative?

thanks[/quote]

Sure sure. I l love the Olympic lifts myself but I design programs that most people can do. Not everybody has the technical efficiency in the Olympic lifts to follow a peaking program for them. The only caveat that I have is the high number of reps. 5 reps on the clean & jerk is basically metabolic conditioning work and wont work with the percentages given.

I would prefer that you have the clean & jerk in place of one of the assistance exercises, for sets of 2-3 reps, but done at the beginning of the workout.

Damn. Looks like a serious ball buster. Thanks

[quote]Jayo82 wrote:

Hi Coach
Great Routine.
In week 5, 6, 7 day 1. It should be 1 and 1/4 first and then 1/2? It says 1/2 twice?
Thanks
Julien[/quote]

Must have been fixed, it seems fine now

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]prohan wrote:

thanks[/quote]

Sure sure. I l love the Olympic lifts myself but I design programs that most people can do. Not everybody has the technical efficiency in the Olympic lifts to follow a peaking program for them. The only caveat that I have is the high number of reps. 5 reps on the clean & jerk is basically metabolic conditioning work and wont work with the percentages given.

I would prefer that you have the clean & jerk in place of one of the assistance exercises, for sets of 2-3 reps, but done at the beginning of the workout.[/quote]

thanks again!

Great program. I can’t wait to use it, as soon as I finish my current training block. One question for you, sir:

I read and used your original Power Look plan and recall it being biased toward clean and snatch variants. I’m just wondering why the change in tools (main lifts) to accomplish the same objectives? Please don’t take this as criticism. I’m genuinely eager to understand.

[quote]a_munoz wrote:
Great program. I can’t wait to use it, as soon as I finish my current training block. One question for you, sir:

I read and used your original Power Look plan and recall it being biased toward clean and snatch variants. I’m just wondering why the change in tools (main lifts) to accomplish the same objectives? Please don’t take this as criticism. I’m genuinely eager to understand.[/quote]

I have answered your question on the T-nation facebook page. But I’ll give you the same answer as the guy who posted a question just before you about high pulls: when I write online programs I can’t coach every reader one-on-one. In the past I still included the more complex lifts and I’m sure that many people didn’t get optimal gains from the program because they were limited by their technical mastery of the lifts. So now I design the programs using lifts that are easier to learn, master and perform on. This will lead to better overall gains.

Hi Thib!

You are my favorite coach and i have one question.
I want 10-12 week challange and transform my body.I want to look better.
Regular training+cardio+cardio.:slight_smile:
I do not know what would make it the best?
This program or I, Bodybuilder / i think not the best because the program+cardio is too much/ or your old program “10 kilo hollywood muscle”?
This program + once/ week extra shoulder complex?

Thx

Hello CT is this basically the same look from the “Layers” system? Bit hypothetical but would you mind comparing the two in terms of strength/aesthetics, difficulty, intensity (like coming in from an easier vs. harder program).

I see the peaking element here is emphasized so it makes me think it’s more for “athletes” while the layers more general bodybuilding? Thank you again for a sweet piece

What does the “80%” signify on the first week first day for the deadlifts, bench press etc etc?

[quote]Xicano73 wrote:
What does the “80%” signify on the first week first day for the deadlifts, bench press etc etc? [/quote]

80% of your maximum, tested prior to starting the program

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
Hello CT is this basically the same look from the “Layers” system? Bit hypothetical but would you mind comparing the two in terms of strength/aesthetics, difficulty, intensity (like coming in from an easier vs. harder program).

I see the peaking element here is emphasized so it makes me think it’s more for “athletes” while the layers more general bodybuilding? Thank you again for a sweet piece[/quote]

It’s more that the cyclical nature of the loads make it sustainable for longer and it also gives you an objective measure of progress.

Awesome program coach Thib. I was wondering if I could use this program with some sprint/conditioning work two to three times a week. I am currently training for football and I plan on playing rugby next year and need to get into better shape. Also could front squats be substituted with back squats? I notice its almost the exact format (with a few tweaks to it) as the 915 program you developed which I had great gains on! Cant wait to try this one.

Coach Thibs,

This program really looks good to me, but at my age (50) and with a host of old injuries (pec tear, 2 bulging discs, two herniated, partially torn biceps tendon plus others), could you recommend a rep scheme/percentage a little higher than triples?? I did the chest/tri workout today and even with a good warmup, the 5x3s kinda scared me. Aging sucks.

Edit: I realize though that the point of this program is to get my 1rm up to three in the big lifts and changing the set/rep scheme will defeat the purpose. Maybe you have a suggestion, though?

[quote]jvella wrote:
Awesome program coach Thib. I was wondering if I could use this program with some sprint/conditioning work two to three times a week. I am currently training for football and I plan on playing rugby next year and need to get into better shape. Also could front squats be substituted with back squats? I notice its almost the exact format (with a few tweaks to it) as the 915 program you developed which I had great gains on! Cant wait to try this one. [/quote]

Yes. I would do the sprints on the days you do the lower body exercises as a second session. That would be ideal otherwise the legs will be taxed too often.

thank you.

I was wondering what the training/rest split you would recommend for this program? I was thinking 2 on 2 off then two one 1 off? Thanks!