The Combat Sports Gear Thread

Thanks Boss!

I though I saw a comment on rash guards

As far as rash guards go I like steelstretch. $12, moves well, and so far has proven more durable then previous shirts. Good for anything.

http://steelstretch.com/sports_performance/shortsleeve_shirts/

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
but you need to use a pre tape spray.

kmc

[/quote]

I’ve become a huge fan of underwrap and a lot of my guys didn’t even know it existed.

[quote]jd_dd wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Gi that is quality and not too expensive:

matrat.us

Gi that is super light weight and comfy, like wearing a t-shirt = atama’s new ultralight. It is ridiculous how well that gi breathes, the pants are the best part. IF you can get enough people together to order and start a wholesale account with atama, you can get the gis pretty cheap (under 100 bucks.) the academy I train gi in is pretty much a sweat box during the day so atama ultra lights is alls I be wearing.

Awesome. I’m in the market for a new Gi to replace my 3-year old Atama double weave. Those ultralights sound like they’d be great down here (ridiculous humidity) and they’re only $126.[/quote]

the only thing I’d caution is that the ultra lights do not shrink as much as the atama singles. An A-3 single (atama) is a bit snug on me, but the ultra light version is just about right.

[quote]pch2 wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
but you need to use a pre tape spray.

kmc

I’ve become a huge fan of underwrap and a lot of my guys didn’t even know it existed. [/quote]

I’m still ignorant!.. kmc or pch2 please enlighten me!

Pch2 Pre tape is the SHIT.

I like the sprays, but the pretape is too cool.
comes in some crazy colors.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=athletic+pre-wrap&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3785576297&ref=pd_sl_50xc2xxknc_b

http://www.pre-wrap.com/Order-form.html

its a thin foam a few mm’s thick sometimes it has a very low tack you put it on just like tape,
and then tape over it. this way the tape does not stick you your skin.
Nor does it collect lint, junk, or pull your hair out.

what do boxers use? gauze??

kmc

I guess taking care of your gear is part of it, so… How do you clean the inside of boxing gloves? They can’t be turned inside out (unless there’s a trick I don’t know).

Inside the gloves I sprayed a bit of cheap vodka. Sounds odd, but it’s a pretty common green disinfectant and it doesn’t have that horrible lysol smell (nor does it smell like alcohol after it’s evaporated).

For fight shorts, I just bought a pair of men’s swim trunks on clearance. I cut out the mesh and magic - fight shorts.

I guess when you have different junk you dont need the mesh.

I dont think I can bring myself to wear the board shorts- I just use regular mesh gym shorts.

kmc

Just got some Top Contender Panther punch mitts for my birthday, and I have to say… F’n excellent. Nice and light, have a ball on the inside of the glove, and a tight fit.

I will give my 2 cents for Gi’s. For the dollar you can’t beat fuji, it’s a good gi and is $69 budovideo.com or nhbgear.com. Also padilla and sons has good gi’s for low prices, gold weave is only $90 and a great gi.

on the subject of mats; instead of spending a whole load for my home mats, I’m thinking of building one out of 24oz vinyl and multiple layers of carpet padding with a wood frame. I priced everything out right at 250 for a 2.5" thick mat thats 209sq ft. I’d kill to get some legit swain or zebra, but for my facility, it would cost over 1800 for 2" thick mats. But I’m open to suggestion if anyone has an alternative that wont cost a mint.

My Preference

-Cups
I have like 4 pairs of shoc doc & a bunch of cheap Sports Authority brand. Shoc Doc beats them all

-Mouth piece
Gladiator hands down. Once you try a custom fit you’ll never buy another boil & bite. These guys have the patience of a saint. I’ve must of mess up the mold 3x & called for new ones. They sent out extras free of charge & the shipping was fast. You can also customize with pictures,colors & words. plus discount on your 2nd purchase. http://www.customguards.com/

-Shorts
Sprawls. For the price & quality. I haven’t tried any other types of shorts, so it’s kind of hard to compare. I did purchase a pair of Jaco fight shorts which I should be receiving soon. I read some good reviews on them.

-Gloves
I have 16oz elastic Title Classic training gloves. Very roomy & soft padding, kind of tough to make a tight fist. Great for sparring & bag work. A little to bulky for my taste. It’s a double edge sword for defense. I feel it helps for covering up but cause of it’s bulkiness kind of gives me a fake sense of security while covering up.

I also have 12oz twins sparring gloves. The reason I bought 12oz is so I can focus on speed. When sparring I don’t blast my punches I usually try to pepper them & work counters. Maybe cause of the size or they’re not fully broken in they fit pretty tight. This is my first Thai glove & I immediately notice how open the bottom of the glove is & makes it allot easier to clinch compared to my boxing glove. Overall padding feels good & it’s easy to make a tight fist.

I have so much other gear that I can review. It’ll just take to long. We should make some threads were people can give pros-cons & reviews of their gear.

[quote]pch2 wrote:
I guess taking care of your gear is part of it, so… How do you clean the inside of boxing gloves? They can’t be turned inside out (unless there’s a trick I don’t know). [/quote]

I have wondered how to do this, too. How did the vodka work out? Did it dry well?

Right now I just have ‘glove dogs’ stuffed in there. They’re filled with cedar chips & smell wonderful, but don’t actually clean anything.