The Cold Squat (Bottom Position)

[quote]dankid wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
dankid wrote:
You could also just do box squats and go down to like a 6" box

i find that it’s really easy to cheat with a box. most people that i see using a box lose tightness and do a rocking thing to get off of it.

Ya, fair enough. But you dont have to do box squats the westside way. You could just use it for height, and then it would guarantee ATG on every rep.[/quote]

i agree and i use a box at times. i just see a lot of people losing form when using a box.

I have in the past tied a weighted string to the front of my powerbelt so that when in the hole it touches the ground. This will allow you to free squat and keeps you honest about depth every rep. I know this sounds stupid and ghey but try it out sometime it’s cheap fits in your pocket and if you think it sucks you’ve spent no money on “special stuff”.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
Due to having poor flexibility no matter what I do, I can’t reach bottom position until having at least 135 on the bar (why would I have less? Warmups): and there have been times that even with the 135, I have to pull myself down the last couple of inches, as the weight itself still isn’t quite sufficient.

There is no way I could work my way under the bar at bottom position. I can’t get that low without the weight helping to overcome the inflexibility.

I understand your issue with flexibility, but this is for the mobile who just get the “fear of depth”

Ah, okay.

Then I wouldn’t know, not having tried that (being unable to do it) and never having had anyone try it, nor happening to have learned of results from anyone who had. So I am useless on any point on this other than it being impossible for some, although I agree, not others :slight_smile:

Bill Roberts, you are the farthest from useless!
[/quote]

Well, thanks, CR!

On Marauder’s point regarding boxes and cheating: Interesting matter. I agree completely on rocking being a form of cheating. At least where there is overlap between the rock and the start of the lift, instead of coming to a full stop on the lean-forward before beginning the lift.

My expectation is that the way that this works is that it effectively changes balance.

If there’s no rocking, then the center of gravity of the lifter+barbell MUST remain over the feet. If the lifter positions himself where the CG is behind the feet – which would make for an easier lift – he’s going to fall backwards.

But if the barbell and his upper body have forward momentum as the lift starts, then the CG can be behind the feet for the first part of the lift without falling backwards. The forward momentum will prevent the falling backwards.

By the time the forward motion ends, the effect will end and the CG has to be over the feet again, but he’s been aided in launching out of the hole.

But on the point of losing tightness being cheating, a main point of PL’ing box squats – which admittedly is a different exercise than typical for a bb’er squatting his usual way but having a box that he touches or lets weight onto – is that releasing the tension gets rid of the stored energy and makes it actually a harder exercise.

On the original concern that some overestimate their depth and would benefit from a method that genuinely gets them to parallel or whatever position they would like: Absolutely, a box, or box with plates sitting on top of it to get the exact height, can accomplish this.

A great method if there is a mirror is to test height by squatting sideways – barbell not needed – down onto the box, just barely touching it (if that is the method planned for the squatting) and checking the mirror. Very easy this way to see exactly what the situation is, and to adjust the box as needed to get exactly what is desired.