The Colbert Full-Body Workout Plan!

Yes, I think if the goal is to build mass and a symmetrical physique and build as much muscle as possible, it takes a certain amount of muscle damage, time under tension and frequency to do so. A full body routine can certainly have benefits, I spent the first half of my first contest prep on the Colbert full body plan because it worked for my schedule. Ultimately, I switched to a 5 day split, because I wasn’t getting the results I needed on the full body plan.

If you do a 3x weekly full body plan, you need to limit volume per muscle group, and of course whatever you do first will get the most “bang for your buck” and whatever you do last will still provide some gains, but not as much as what you worked in the beginning, especially with how long it takes to get through the Colbert plan (I remember workouts always took at least 90 minutes). On a 5 or 6 day split, you can structure your plan directly to each specific muscle grouping, hit the variety of rep ranges and angles necessary to maximize growth and strength, and get enough TUT and damage so recover over the week so you can grow.

As a suggestion, I always, always, highly recommend this type of program as the foundation for training:

You’ll want to start with the preceding articles first:

Structure your plan, stick to it for 6-8 weeks, and from there you can start switching out exercises and learning how to continue making adjustments within this blueprint to continue improvement and not stall your progress.

I wouldn’t recommend deconstructing the Colbert plan into a 5 or 6 day plan, the articles I posted above are just a different type of plan, a standard, “Tried and True” bodybuilding program.

As @BrickHead mentioned, and in my opinion, you’ll have a better physique and put on more muscle with a typical bodybuilding plan.

Now, I have no doubt there are a lot of folks out there who will say something like “naturals should do full body workouts and bro splits are dead.” I would counter by saying go to ANY natural bodybuilding competition, and 95% of the competitors there will say they use standard bodybuilding splits, and have incredible physiques. If you want to look like a bodybuilder, train and eat like a bodybuilder.

A 3x per week plan can absolutely be beneficial if:
-It fits your schedule and you literally can’t get to the gym more frequently
-As a brief change up from a normal split routine (but again, I would not recommend a 3x per week full body plan as a foundation for training for someone who wants to look like a bodybuilder)

@coreman73 - What are you goals for your physique?

2 Likes