The Climb To 180

Just wondering if anyone with some real experience wouldn’t mind helping me out with a new program. I’m trying to add a little weight and gain a little more vascularity. If you’d like to see my latest workout schedule let me know. Any help would be awesome, just have a lot of respect for this site and its members. Right now i am 19 yr 5’5 172 lbs I’ve been training for 5 years.

physique currently:

Really all about eating. You’ll see tons of posts saying “Squats and Milk”, “Eat eat eat eat sleep and eat” and so on.

Not so much your program that keeps you from gaining weight it’s what you eat and how much of it you eat.

Word yea thats very true, luckily i have access to good food and a lot of it, if i can get to 180 and stay there ill be real stoked.
I have a fairly good meal routine i was more looking for a real solid workout plan becuase im bored of the four i alternate with over the last 4 years or so

Okay what does your program currently looking like?

3 Day Split done twice a week (so six days rest one)

Day One Chest Bi’s
DB Flat Press 5 sets 6-8 reps (usually word up to 100lb dbs)
Incline Barbell Press 4 sets 8-10 reps
DB Incline flyes 3 sets 10-12 reps
Machine Flyes 3 sets 12-15 reps

Barbell Curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
Reverse Barbell Curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
Incline db curl 3 sets 8-10 reps

Day Two Back Tri’s
3 Sets wide grip pull ups until failure
Bent over barbell rows 5 sets 6-8 reps
Machine cable rows 4 sets 8 reps
Reverse Flyes 3 sets until failure

Close grip bench 5 sets 6-8 reps
Db pullovers 4 sets 8-10 reps
Rope pushdowns SS with rope overhead extension 4 sets of 10-12 for each
Tricep dips 2 sets until failure

Day Three Legs Shoulders
Front Squats 5 sets (+ one warm up) set 5 reps
Hack Squats 5 sets 6-8 reps
Reverse Barbell Lunge 4 sets 6-8 reps
One legged squats 3 sets until failure

Push Press 4 sets (+one warm up) 4-6 reps
Seated DB press 4 sets 6-8 reps
Lateral Raises SS with front raises 4 sets 12-15 each

I do abs and calves every day and traps every other

thanks in advance for ur time and advice

So you haven’t been gaining from this type of regime? Are you stalling/stalled on increasing lift numbers?

IF you can post your diet? As good as you can recall it. A lot of questions need to be asked in order to get information to properly assess things lol.

EDIT: If you read this already, do you keep a log book?
LOL I keep adding stuff but where are the rack pulls and or deadlifts for the back/hamstring work?

I have been gaining but hit a slight plateau in the past month or two, since ive been training with this workout for a few months i would say that my strength has been steadily gaining, i’d be curious to see what i can do on the bench after such a long time off of it. This past winter i put up 320 and repped 225 for 14. Squat 395
My diet is pretty simple, i avoid anything with a lot of sugar ie sodas candy of any kind, sweets of any kind. for breakfast i usually have 5 eggs with 4 slices of cheese and two bagels. but now that im back at college i have a plate of eggs id say approx 4 and some fresh fruit.
my lunch at college for the past week and a half has been 4 hamburger patties with cheese, a plate of spinach with carrots two large serving spoons of tuna and some cheddar cheese.
Dinner is pretty similar, same salad, two pieces of chicken or beef.
Drink plenty of water.
between meals i have a lot of carrots and yogurt with rolled oats.

In terms of supplements in the past ive taken cell mass no xplode (early years maybe 3 years ago) Alpha Male, Rez-V and my personal favorite dark matter by mhp.
Right now I have been taking Surge workout fuel and post workout, and also have a fresh jug of dark matter and a 10lber of smart gainer.
anything else u need just let me kno

for three months in the winter i did lunges, trap bar, and sldls for hamstrings, im an ex hockey player so ive always had strong legs
i havent ever really used a log book i dont like to carry that shit around the weight room but if ud like to me to begin so u can get a good idea i’ll do it

[quote]cronbeast90 wrote:
I have been gaining but hit a slight plateau in the past month or two, since ive been training with this workout for a few months i would say that my strength has been steadily gaining, i’d be curious to see what i can do on the bench after such a long time off of it. This past winter i put up 320 and repped 225 for 14. Squat 395
My diet is pretty simple, i avoid anything with a lot of sugar ie sodas candy of any kind, sweets of any kind. for breakfast i usually have 5 eggs with 4 slices of cheese and two bagels. but now that im back at college i have a plate of eggs id say approx 4 and some fresh fruit.
my lunch at college for the past week and a half has been 4 hamburger patties with cheese, a plate of spinach with carrots two large serving spoons of tuna and some cheddar cheese.
Dinner is pretty similar, same salad, two pieces of chicken or beef.
Drink plenty of water.
between meals i have a lot of carrots and yogurt with rolled oats.

In terms of supplements in the past ive taken cell mass no xplode (early years maybe 3 years ago) Alpha Male, rez v and my personal favorite dark matter by mhp.
Right now I have been taking surge workout fuel and post workout, and also have a fresh jug of dark matter and a 10lber of smart gainer.
anything else u need just let me kno[/quote]

i dunno maybe am reading your post wrong but after your breakfast you don’t have a meal with alot of protein in it. add more protein :slight_smile:

am i reading it right Lol

If you feel like your hitting a slight plateau try to eliminate 1-2 (2 if really necessary) exercises from muscle groups that have 4 different exercises for that day. I have a feeling it’s to much volume, that is keeping you from gaining. Especially if you have a moderate frequency that you hit each muscle group twice a week. However, if you feel that you are recovering fast enough and or eating well enough then there is no need. But since you feel like your hitting a plateau ease off some exercises and reassess.

Do you suffer from any delayed onset muscle soreness for long periods of time or at all?

i havent ever really used a log book i dont like to carry that shit around the weight room but if ud like to me to begin so u can get a good idea i’ll do it[/quote]

I don’t care what anyone says but a log book is a must. It will help track your progress with your weights. If your not adding weight to exercises your not going to gain at all. Even 1-2lbs on a exercise is great. A log book will help you see where you need to add weight(s). I know it can be hard with dumbbells but even hitting two or more reps is progression.

Once you get into tracking your progress in the gym you’ll like having a log book. I didn’t use one until I read a book by Nate Greens Built For Show stating a log book is a must for anyone looking for gains and that are serious lifters.

There’s no harm in trying the 5/3/1. Or the HSS-100. When you finish any of those programs and go back to your normal rotation, i’m sure you’ll like the gains.

I will definitely start bringing a log book to the gym and recording my progress and shit.
Also, i dont get sore anymore honestly, my legs are the only part that get some soreness thats one of the reasons i wanted to switch it up.
My bodys too used too these exercises. fucking homeostasis

I will definitely start bringing a log book to the gym and recording my progress and shit.
Also, i dont get sore anymore honestly, my legs are the only part that get some soreness thats one of the reasons i wanted to switch it up.
[/quote]

It may seem tedious to use and bring a log book to the gym but it helps a lot with progression. A simple shift in reps, sets, and intensity will help to progress your body even more. It’s not so much of getting used to exercises it how your preform them with regards to what I suggested prior.

[/quote]

Well soreness isn’t “the indicator” that you’re working hard. Once I remember me and a training partner had a grueling chest session, he worked harder than me and the next day we were like “what the fuck?”; he didn’t have ANY soreness at all. BUT, if day after day you don’t feel sore anymore then that’s a signal that you may need to work or push harder to keep having progress. BTW, what’s your long term goal? you can get to 180 in 12~ weeks, so what are you gonna do next?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
cronbeast90 wrote:

It may seem tedious to use and bring a log book to the gym but it helps a lot with progression. A simple shift in reps, sets, and intensity will help to progress your body even more. It’s not so much of getting used to exercises it how your preform them with regards to what I suggested prior. [/quote]

sounds good. ive used a log book the past two days

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:

Well soreness isn’t “the indicator” that you’re working hard. Once I remember me and a training partner had a grueling chest session, he worked harder than me and the next day we were like “what the fuck?”; he didn’t have ANY soreness at all. BUT, if day after day you don’t feel sore anymore then that’s a signal that you may need to work or push harder to keep having progress. BTW, what’s your long term goal? you can get to 180 in 12~ weeks, so what are you gonna do next?[/quote]

Yea i definitely agree, i dont ever really get sore unless i dont hit a body part for a week or two but i do gain strength and mass. You can always push harder so im working hard to up my intensity. My long term goal is pretty simple, i just want to keep pushing my muscles to see how big i can get with my frame without having a high percent body fat. i think if i could get to 190-195 by the time im out of college i think i’ll be happy. just keep moving up my max’s and working hard

Madcow’s 5x5 while eating caloric surplus!

cronbeast, you say you are doing trap work every other day, what are you doing for them? How long have you been training traps this frequently? How well have you found it to be working for you?