The Catholic Thread

…uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We can’t be friends…

1 Like

I refuse to accept that. I WILL make a friend out of you yet, pfury. Challenge accepted.

1 Like

I always hated communion. I don’t get how that was ever sold to the public. It’s some Soylent Green level crap.

I don’t know, zecarlo. I can’t put it into words. But, I’m a pretty big fan.

1 Like

You mean appropriated from the pagans? Abstraction of ritual sacrifice.

The Catholic Church was a big sleight of hand to swindle the Franks, Goths and Vandals.

1 Like

You just got yourself crossed off of my celebration of the winter solstice card list bud.

3 Likes

I’m more of a summer solstice guy myself … longest day of sunlight of the year > least amount of sunlight of the year by far

2 Likes

Come to Presbyterian church. It’s sweet corn bread a.k.a. “Johnny cake”

I’d lay even money that any profession with access to children would have their molestation rates skyrocket if you told them that to be employed there they could never have sex… ever. The rate of public school teachers hooking up with students seems to be on the rise. Let’s not forget sedation dentists.

@KneeDragger_79
I was raised protestant, so a few things that confuse me are below. Is there any scripture to back up:

1. Are saints deified when popes award them sainthood? Why is praying to saints and Mary (and their statues) not defacto idolatry?

2. Are popes deified when elected? Does God have a closer relationship to popes? Why do they get to change the dogma of the whole church?

3. Why is it not sinful for a layman to take a wife and have children, but forbidden for clergy? How the hell can clergy give marriage advice?

That’s all for now.

Cardinal: “Well you see your Popiness… the pagans have this fertility festival in spring with eggs, bunnies, sacrifices and orgies in the hope they’ll have a bountiful harvest.”

Pope: “why don’t we just move Easter to the same day? Throw a cross up there instead of the fertility symbols, nix the sacrifices and shame them for the orgies. Easy peasy. Get it done. If you need me I’ll be in my room, not having sex ever.”

2 Likes

Also by coincidence, my sisters birthday.

So yes, you believe that a wafer and some wine are changed because a priest said some words over it. How do you determine they have changed into the actual body and blood of a person who has been dead for thousands of years. I’ve never actually heard someone defend this belief, so this is fascinating to me.

You also ignored the follow up. Does this power to change matter only work for priests? And can the priests use this power to change other things?

And lets not pretend Teachers or gymnastics coaches are getting away with child molestation like Catholic priests are.

Lol, they do say aging meat makes it more tender. Does that apply to wafers that are turned into a 2000 year dead man?

Almost my son’s birthday as well … he is about 3 days removed

Side tangent. I LOVE red meat (thanks Costco). A bit back me and Mrs Pfury went on vacation to Vegas without the kids. Vegas has super nice steakhouses and a good dry aged steak has always been a bucket list item of mine.

I order a 16 oz ribeye, 45 days dry aged. Eat the cap. Easily the best steak of my life (and I already cook a bomb steak at home. Sous vide for life). Proceed to start on the eye. 2 bites in it was almost like the flavor was too much. I really can’t explain it very well. Like almost a sour taste after I ate too much of it

Hella weird, and slightly disappointing experience

Yes, I do. I also believe in an afterlife too. Where somehow a person’s will/being continues to exist long after their flesh and bones turn to dust, .How does a conscious will continue to exist without the organic structure (the brain) behind it? Duinno. . Good and evil. inherent rights and moral obligations. All kinds of supernatural things. Muahaha.

No, it’s a specific defined sacrament.

There are some great Catholic answers resources if you want to know more about our beliefs. I personally don’t defend the faith specifically. I’m a ‘you either get it or you don’t kind of guy.’

Have a good day…

http://ccc.usccb.org/flipbooks/catechism/files/assets/basic-html/page-I.html#

Never understood question 1 either.

1. The pope is just the bishop of Rome. Everything after bishop is only a n honorary title. The pope is elected by the other cardinals as they see him as closest to God or so its supposed to be

2. Clergy were actually allowed marry up until the late middle ages, just before the black death. The reason they actually got rid of it was of course money. It actually caused a big split in the church. Now you have Roman Catholics and Orthodox catholic (think Greek orthodox, Russian orthodox etc…).

The reason for getting rid of priest marriages was if the priest was supplied with a house for his family, the church could not kick the family out after he died, so instead of buying new houses every so often they only needed one per area. Also they can share houses this way and be sent on missions at a moments notice.

1 Like

This is about to devolve into a meat lovers thread (yea I know what I said):

What would you say the price/lb savings is on:

Chicken Breast

NY Strip

Any kind of beef roast cut

Pork Loin

Pork Chops

I’ve been thinking of getting a costco card to stock up on meat and am curious if the prices (I know they’re varied by area) but what would you say your average savings per pound is and what are the cuts of meat you buy most? Include ground beef if you can.

How’s the quality from Costco?

Quality is great. We get better deals on chicken and pork all day. We go to a butcher in WV for steak or Costco would win there as well. The biggest savings at Costco on food for us are on bulk veggies, frozen fruits, nuts… prices are near half.

If your commute is near Costco then the gas is always $.25 cheaper per gallon than everywhere else. So the membership buys itself right there.

1 Like

Kind of what I figured. Thanks for answering. From my perspective most of Luther’s 95 theses are still problems with the catholic church today.

1. Saint Worship? | Catholic Answers Tract This gives a good explanation as to 1.

2. No, however they are given the primacy among bishops, theoretically he is closer to God, by merit of being inheritee to the position of St. Peter.

The actual doctrinal changes are narrowly controlled, and MEANT to be exercised with extreme caution, which current Prope does not.
It also can be answered by other Bishops when they believe the Pope is spreading potential heresy. Francis has answered none of such queries levelled at him.

1. Land inheritance. Colm has covered it.

I’m not a practising Catholic anymore, for the record.

Edited to give the appropriate credit to who actually answered the 3rd question.

There’s a reason it caught on.

No Problem. History has a habit of repeating itself. The church cleaned up its act for a while and grows complacent again. Even before the reformation there were breakaways from it. Orthodox as mentioned and previously in the dark ages the monks in Ireland threatened to break away as well but this was resolved.