T Nation

The Calorie Police

A friend just showed me this article, http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/07/07/the-calorie-police/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Cato-at-liberty+(Cato+at+Liberty)

Thought you all might find it as amusing as I did.

Excerpt

Sorry, but…is that Meagan Fox in your avatar?

still, the author makes a point when he compares the starbucks products (not banned) to stuff from vending machines. he isnt attacking milk

That article just pissed me off. I wish we could make the uneducated understand that is just not about Calories. It’s about the macros OF those Calories that we put into ourselves and also the detremental effects of the ingredients in certain things, like soda, with high fructose corn syrup, etc.

I’ll gladly take the protein in the milk.

Pop is pure HFCS. Which hasnt been around long enough to even know the mass effects of it yet (though diabetes and obesity is at an all time high…thats a bigger subject though, not just pop). I support it being banned, your not going to go into starbucks 12 times a day and get a coffee or whatever else they have there.

People go through cans upon cans of pop daily, this argument seems like an argument for arguments sake. Yes there are exceptions but these are the general ideas.

I was with the article to a degree until it started on about DURP DURP THE GOVVVURNMENT TAKIN UR OPSHINS AWAY.

Nutrition is grossly misrepresented, its always a spotlight on ONE thing.

The 90s? FAT FREE EVERYTHING IS FAT FREE SWEDISH FISH ARE FAT FREE (but largely comprised of carby sugars) BUT THEY’RE FAT FREE

The 00’s? I LOVE ATKINS OMG CARBS ARE EBILLLLLLL

You know what I’m afraid of?

This decade’s fad diet. We’ve done fat, we’ve done carbs… one thing left guys:
OH GOD PROTEIN THAT GIVES YOU LIVER FAILURE

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
I was with the article to a degree until it started on about DURP DURP THE GOVVVURNMENT TAKIN UR OPSHINS AWAY.

The 90s? FAT FREE EVERYTHING IS FAT FREE SWEDISH FISH ARE FAT FREE (but largely comprised of carby sugars) BUT THEY’RE FAT FREE

OH GOD PROTEIN THAT GIVES YOU LIVER FAILURE[/quote]

Haven’t the major beverage manufacturers started to roll out protein drinks? I think we’re entering the “protein for weight loss” phase. Overweight housewives everywhere will be buying recovery beverages with added protein (though I guess it’s no different than the ones who already buy Gatorade).

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
I support it being banned, your not going to go into starbucks 12 times a day and get a coffee or whatever else they have there.
[/quote]
Why should it be banned? Why should the government hold your fucking hand and tell you what you can and can’t eat? It is the same shit with transfat–if you really have a problem with it, don’t buy products containing it. You know a surefire way to avoid HCFS or transfat? Don’t buy stuff in a can. Don’t buy stuff in box. Don’t buy stuff you get through a window.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Sorry, but…is that Meagan Fox in your avatar?[/quote]

No it is not.

[quote]elih8er wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
I support it being banned, your not going to go into starbucks 12 times a day and get a coffee or whatever else they have there.
[/quote]
Why should it be banned? Why should the government hold your fucking hand and tell you what you can and can’t eat? It is the same shit with transfat–if you really have a problem with it, don’t buy products containing it. You know a surefire way to avoid HCFS or transfat? Don’t buy stuff in a can. Don’t buy stuff in box. Don’t buy stuff you get through a window.

[/quote]
This is true, if i were a pop drinker i wouldn’t like it either. Kind of went off on a rant because of the thought of overweight people arguing for their pop…now that i have a problem with. Eh their lives though, whatever.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]elih8er wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
This is true, if i were a pop drinker i wouldn’t like it either. Kind of went off on a rant because of the thought of overweight people arguing for their pop…now that i have a problem with. Eh their lives though, whatever.
[/quote]
I don’t drink soda, and if I do it is sugar free. The issue is the government telling you what you can and can’t put in your body. There are people who would love to regulate out of existence everything Biotest sells because it does not have an FDA stamp of approval… something to think about.

[quote]elih8er wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]elih8er wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
I don’t drink soda, and if I do it is sugar free. The issue is the government telling you what you can and can’t put in your body. There are people who would love to regulate out of existence everything Biotest sells because it does not have an FDA stamp of approval… something to think about.
[/quote]

Exactly. For the government to have BASIC standards for the production of food is one thing. For it to tell us what kinds of foods we can and can’t buy, quite another.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

The 90s? FAT FREE EVERYTHING IS FAT FREE SWEDISH FISH ARE FAT FREE (but largely comprised of mercury, mustard gas, hydrogen sulfide and phosphorus) BUT THEY’RE FAT FREE

OH GOD PROTEIN THAT GIVES YOU LIVER FAILURE[/quote]

Fixed that for you;)