T Nation

The Bulletproof Athlete - Impenetrable - Unyielding - Invincible

Welcome to my world of Grappling, Badassness, Strength, Speed & Power.

In this place nothing is normal - Body building & traditionel strength training doesn't exit

I HAVE A SINGULAR MINDSET AND ONLY JIU JITSU MATTERS!

Quick reference:
Focus: No-GI
Greatest archivement: Won over a european 100kg brown belt champion at 82 kg
Weekly training schedule: 12+ hours of matt time, 2-3 strength & conditioning sessions.
Never lost a tournament, yet..

Current strength levels: 3RM, in KG's
Zercher squat: 115 kg
Pull ups: 35 kg
Dips: 50 kg
Power rows: 92 kg
Deadlift: 200 kg (2010) 180 kg (2014)
Pallof press: 45 kg
C2 rowing machine: 1050 watt generated in one pull
Benchpress: 105 kg

Strength goals: 3RM
Zercher squat: 150 kg
Pull ups: 50 kg
Dips: 75 kg
Power rows: 120 kg
Deadlift: 200 kg
Pallof press: More
C2: a lot mere!
Benchpress: Don't give a shit.

This will be my first log entry but before I begin, lets take a quick look at my program structure and the reasons behind it.

The program consists of four different categories. [1]Bulletproofing [2]Strength, Speed & power [3]Bodyweight & athletics [4]Competition readyness

I define Grappling as a short burst power sport which means short movement bursts of near maximal velocity and this is what it’s all about - Getting as strong and especially explosive as possible, within the confines of my weigth-class.

[1]All the heavy lifting[2], plyometrics[2] and hours upon hours of matt time takes a toll on the body and prehab is an absolute must. My approach on this is pretty simple, work on muscle imbalances and maintain good mobility in all joints.
Within the prehab category there is also Bulletproofing[1].
Bulletproofing is based on working across movement patterns, strengthening joints, ligaments and muscles by intergrating balance, mobility and strength in various ranges of motion through different positions or movement patterns.
Lowering the chances of injury is paramount!

[2]In the pursuit of Strength, Speed & power my weapon of choice is Contrast training. We use a lot of different techniques like verbal cues and hands on cuing for activation here. I use a Push, Pull, Posterior chain, Quad dominant, Core stabilizing, Core rotation, Anti rotation & Anti flexsion set up.

[3]With Bodyweight training we use our own weight as well as eachothers in a multitude of different exercises like regular push ups and air squats to partner planks and deadlifts. Bodyweight training translates very well to the matts because power output is switching towards stability and balance due to the unstable nature of the exercises. Being a movement athlete, quality of motion is key and the key to Quality motion comes from control.

[4]Competition readyness consists of time intervals between five & ten minutes. Each interval consists of at least two contrast exercises where the goal is to get as many quality explosive repetitions as possible. If in any given exercise the velocity of movement drastically diminishes, the set is terminated immediately and either the contrast exercise begins or taking a break maybe banging out a few more reps before switching.

There are also some general guideline like, never going to failure, never comprimise technique etc.

Wednesday 010715

Today’s matt work:
Armdrag & side pull to quater back mount Vs Butterfly > Armdrag & step over back take Vs side pull defence.
60 min of sparring. 5 min rounds, 60s of potential rest. exercises to be completed within the 60s comprised of:
1: 10 roman chair sit ups each on partner
2: 10 north south push ups each with partner
3: 10 inverted finger rows with partner
4: 10 inverted hand shake rows with partner
5: 10 inverted wrist rows with partner

• Starting over from the beginning.
  • The faster the inbetween work is completed, the more rest.

Todays Strength training:

Explosive work:
Cleans from blocks 10x3, 60s rest
7 x 50kg
3 x 52.5kg

Strength work:
Band resisted towel pull ups 5x3, 60s rest
1 x one time around the bell
1 x one time around the bell + 2.5kg
1 x + 5kg
1 x 2 times around the bell
1 x 2 times around the bell + 2.5kg

• I’m using a big green rubber band, a 32kg kb on the ground that it’s attached to and a belt that attaches it to me.

Bulletproofing:
Zercher BB deadlift 3x until it feels like it’s time to stop, 60s rest
1 x 40kg x 10
1 x 50kg x 10
1 x 50kg x 8

Gladiator push ups 3xfailure, 60s pause
1 x 10kg db’s x 4 (8 in total)
1 x 10kg db’s x 3 (6 in total)
1 x 10kg db’s x 3 (6 in total)

Cable plank rows 3xfailure, 60-90s rest
1 x 11kg x 10
1 x 20kg x 10
1 x 30kg x 10

Grip work:
Plate pinch 3xtime, 60s pause
1 x 10kg plate x 65s
1 x 15kg plate x 40s
1 x 10kg plate x 35s

• approximately 2 cm wide

Alligator smash 1xtime
1 x 10kg plate & 5kg plate x 35s

• Going to failure isn’t failure. Still keeping 2,3 reps in the tank as stated above.
  • Broke my little finger the other day. Fucked up my cleans. I love cleans, love it - hate it… What ?

Saturday 040715

Today’s matt work: Pummel pass Vs half guard > Knee slide Vs half guard
We’re experiencing a heat wave at the moment which isn’t very common around here, so only 3 students showed up and my self. I reckon everybody else was at the beach.
We changed the structure of the class a bit today due to the small amount of attendees, and the heat, doesn’t bother me at all but they seemed to be affected by it, so instead of sparring we used the better part of an hour drilling disconnecting / hip escaping away from various situations where our opponent would be standing and entering.

Today’s Strength training:

Explosive work:
Cleans from blocks 10x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: squat
6 x 50kg
4 x 52.5kg

Strength work:
Towel deadlift 5x3, 60s pause, pause stretch: frog stretch
1 x 90kg
1 x 95kg
1 x 100kg
1 x 110kg
1 x 115kg

Bulletproofing:
Cable plank rows, 3xfailure, 60s rest, pause stretch: forearms & fingers
1 x 15kg x 10
1 x 25kg x 10
1 x 30kg x 10

Renegade db rows 3xfailure, 60s pause, pause stretch: spiderman stretch
1 x 10kg x 6 (12 in total)
1 x 10kg x 4 (8)
1 x 10kg x 4 (8)

Band side steps, 3xfailure, 60s pause, pause stretch: Backward roll over the neck, knees to the ground
1 x 8 (16 in total)
1 x 8
1 x 8

• Used a thick green band wrapped twice around my ankles. Really got my glutes fired up.

Grip work:
Band resisted alligator smash, 2xtime, 60s rest
2 x 5kg plates x 40s left, right 38s
1 x 10kg plate & 5kg plate x 30s

Plate pinch 2xtime, 60s rest
1 x 10kg plate x 60s
1 x 15kg plate x 46s

Towel kb holds 2xtime, 60s pause
1 x 20kg kb x 75s
1 x 20kg kb x 60s

Pronated deadlift holds 2xtime, 60s pause
1 x 70kg x 40s
1 x 80kg x 30s

Towel deadlift hold 1xtime
1 x 80kg x 40s

• Positives:
    The clean is coming along quite nicely and even though I’m new to the exercise, I already have a good feel about the mechanics. I’m not thinking too much about the amount of weight at the moment, actually never have payed attention the amount of weight. I’m much more interested in how fast it’s moving or fast I’m moving.

The towel deadlift’s were pretty easy and I think I could easily have added at least 15kg’s to the last set but I like to start out low and work my way up, greasing the groove along the way. My little finger, which I broke last week, still isn’t 100% yet. Good news is that It’s getting better though and I’m able to make a fist without looking British and I hardly felt any discomfort during the deadlift.

My grip is coming along nicely as well and even though it is far above average as it is, it can never be too strong. Grip strength is in my honest opinion one of the most important factors in any fight but at the same time also one of the most neglected areas for most combat athletes. Grip strength is king.

• Negatives:
    My little finger is still broken and even though it is getting better, fast, it hurts like a mother… If I hit from a certain angle. Hasn’t slowed me down though and it wont unless it suddenly gets a lot worse.

Monday 060715

Today’s strength training:

Explosive work:
Clean from blocks 10x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: squat
5 x 50kg
5 x 52.5kg

Strength work:
band resisted stick pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: standing calf stretch
1 x 2 times around the bell + 2.5kg
1 x 1 time around the bell

Bulletproofing:
Robertson squat 3x10-12, 60s rest, pause stretch: thigh stretch
1 x 10kg (40 total)
1 x 15 (50 total)
1 x 20 (60 total)

Elevated round back KB deadlift 3xuntil it feels like it’s time to stop, 60s rest, pause stretch: Frog stretch
1 x 16kg kb x 10
1 x 20kg kb x 10
1 x 20kg kb x 10

• Positives:
    Made the stick pull up handles this morning and they worked perfectly. I think I’ll make another pair with a bigger diameter and maybe another made up of tennis balls.

• Negatives:
    Somehow I completely missed the no parking zone sign and got a parking ticket while training. 100 usd down the drain.

Wednesday 080715

Today’s matt work: 2 mount escapes. Bump and turn > Outside leg catch to half guard.
It was my second in command who was leading the class today and even though it wasn’t as hard as my own classes, it felt as it was. There is just something about being on the receiving end that makes it that much harder than when you’re the one calling the shots, even though you’re doing the same stuff that everybody else is. Maybe even more, harder or both to set the example. Had a midway conditioning circuit that ended the technical part of the class and signaled the start of the sparring part. We did 10 minutes of burpees and mountain climbers for 30s each with no breaks. ended with approximately 35 min of sparring.

Waited about an hour when I got home before heading to the gym and did the following

Everything in kg’s not pounds!

Explosive work:
4 x 50
6 x 52.5

Strength work:
Stick grip pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: standing calf stretch
1 x 15
1 x 17.5
1 x 20
1 x 22.5
1 x 25

Elevated stick grip deadlift 3x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: frog stretch
1 x 120
1 x 120
1 x 120

Bulletproofing:
KB roll over squat 3xuntil it feels good, 60s rest, pause stretch: forearm stretch
1 x 16kg kb x 20
1 x 16kg kb x 20
1 x 16kg kb x 20

Positives:
Had no idea how I’d fair with the stick pull ups or stick deadlifts but I’m happy with the result. The last set of pull ups was really hard and I don’t think I’ll be able to go any heavier than that for now.

The deadlifts where also very heavy or hard to hold onto to be precise. The weight it self wasn’t much of an issue, but with the sticks it was pretty hard. I think I could go up to 125 or maybe even 130 if my grip muscles where completely fresh.

Besides the obvious benefits of strengthening the grip, the sticks also enable the shoulder girdle to move freely while pulling up to the bar as well as doing deadlifts which feels really nice.

Friday 100715

Everything in kg’s not pounds!

Explosive work:
3 x 50
6 x 52.5
1 x 55

Strength work:
Thick rope pull ups 10x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: Standing hamstring stretch
2 x yellow & blue band
1 x yellow & blue band + 2.5
1 x blue band + 5
1 x blue band + 10
2 x yellow & blue band
1 x yellow band + 15
1 x yellow & blue band
1 x 20

Bulletproofing:
BB zercher deadlift 3xuntil it feels like it’s time to stop, 60s rest, Pause stretch: quad stretch
1 x 40 x 12
1 x 40 x 12
1 x 50 x 8

Cable plank rows 3xfail, 60s rest, pause stretch: Forearm stretch
1 x 20 x 10
1 x 25 x 10
1 x 30 x 10

• Positives:
    Prior to this log my training had been at a all time low for about 7-8 months and before that it wasn’t all that much better either. Lost my kickass training buddy some 10 months ago and everything just went down hill from there. Never knew how much energy & focus the right training buddy could give. Kept going for a few months but eventually my gym membership card began collecting dust real fast.
    I tried to get back into it a few times but I was lacking will, focus and goals. Luckily things change and the spark has once again been ignited and in contrast to the previous program that was written in stone with every detail in place, I really like this setup I’m doing now.

• Negatives:
    I have no skin left on my right thumb. Rope pull ups rock!

Sunday 120715

Everything in Kg’s not pounds!

Warm up: 30 minutes of treadmill work, dynamic stretching, mobility work & clean grooving.

Explosive work:
Clean from blocks 10x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: Squat
2 x 50
7 x 52.5
1 x 55

Strength work:
Band resisted stick pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Hamstrings
4 x 2 times around the bell
1 x 1 time around the bell

• The gym’s bands constantly break so for the last month or so there has only been 3 in total which are now reduced to one, so I went out and bought my own which is the one I used today. Seems to be a bit stronger than the medium sized one a usually use. That or my pulling muscles are getting fatigued, which would make a lot of sense due to the amount of work they have been doing lately, on and off the mats.

Weighted thick rope pull ups 5x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Hamstrings
1 x 15
1 x 17.5
1 x 20
1 x 25 - Failed on the third rep.
1 x bw

Bulletproofing:
Robertson squat 3xuntilitfeelsgood, 60s rest, pause stretch: Neck & lower back
1 x 15 (50 in total) x 10
1 x 20 (60) x 10
1 x 25 (70) x 10

Unilateral leg curls 3xfail, 60s rest, pause stretch: Glute
1 x 25 x 10
1 x 25 x 10
1 x 25 x 10

• Two more sessions and I’ll switch the cleans out for another explosive exercise, probably band deadlift. By then I’ll have had ten sessions and added 2.5kg’s to all sets.
  • As of now though, I think I’ve had enough pull ups so I’ll exclude those for the time being and added more variation again. Switching between Dead’s, glute bridges, leg presses, floor presses etc.

Tuesday 140715

Everything in Kg’s not Pounds!

Warm up: 30 min treadmill work, mobility work and clean grooving.

Explosive work:
Clean from blocks 10x, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Squat
1 x 50
8 x 52.5
1 x 55

Strength work:
Elevated stick grip deadlift’s 5x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: Calf
4 x 100
1 x 110

Bulletproofing:
Cable plank rows 3xmore than last time, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Spiderman stretch
1 x 21.25 x 10
1 x 26.25 x 10
1 x 30 x 10

Gladiator push ups 3xmore than last time, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Forearms & fingers
1 x 10 x 5 (10 total)
1 x 10 x 3 (6)
1 x 10 x 3 (6)

Band side steps 3xuntil I’m unable to move with control, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Glute stretch
3 x yellow band x 9

• My former training partner came back from the dead and decided to join me in today’s training, I can only hope he’s back for good!
    Got a few more looks than usual today but that’s how it is around here. Do something unorthodox and everybody’s looking at you like your an idiot, shaking their empty heads trying to figure out why you’re not doing bench presses, curls or bench presses… or curls. Tried to explain a guy who approached me in a seemly agitated state that most athletes don’t need to go beyond parallel in the squat or even to parallel for that matter, which only seemed to fuel is agitation towards me. Did a lot of floor presses some time back, which I’ll implement again very soon, but that turned a lot of heads as well. It seems to me that doing unorthodox stuff somehow gets interpreted as an open invitation to the most random trainees whom just can’t help themselves to come and “help” you. I don’t mind the occasional starring and wondering and even when I get approached every now and then it doesn’t bother me all that much. Most people seems more interested in what’s going on than trying to correct or come off as being the know all be all guru of the place, those guys a freaking hate and just to my luck, those are of course the ones that always seem to want to “help”.

I’ll probably upload a few vids from today’s training later on. Feedback would be nice, so don’t be afraid to give some.

Thursday 160715

Everything in Kg’s not Pounds!

Warm up: 30 min treadmill work, mobility work and clean grooving.

Explosive work:
Clean from blocks 10x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Squat
10 x 52.5

Strength Work:
Leg press 5x5, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Glute
1 x 120
1 x 130
1 x 140
1 x 130
1 x 140

Then I implemented the next Explosive exercise which I’ll be doing the next ten workouts before switching different again.

Explosive Work 2:
Hang clean front box squat with calf extension 10x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: calf
2 x 40
2 x 42.5
1 x 50
4 x 45

• One rep constitutes one clean & then three box squat’s

• Well I broke my little finger again yesterday so that sucked. Wrapped it good and continued the sparring without paying much attention before we were finished. Woke up this morning and it didn’t really hurt at all, so even though I had planned on taking a few days off from the gym I went anyways. Besides a few times where my finger got smashed underneath the bar after the clean, which hurts btw, A LOT, it was just fine. I wanted to begin doing speed deadlift’s for the explosive exercise though but with the finger that’s not going to happen atm.

Hey HP,

Nice log.

Just wondering if the program you are doing was written by yourself?

Uncle Bird.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hey HP,

Nice log.

Just wondering if the program you are doing was written by yourself?

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]

Thank you brother and yes, it is. More of a template than a program though.

Friday 170715

The Dojo was closed today due to renovations so rolling was out, which left me with two options besides crying. Go lift, even though I did that yesterday or do nothing productive at all. I went lifting.

Today’s training:

Explosive work:
Block clean front box squat with calf extension 10x3, 90s rest, Pause stretch: neck
10 x 50

• Decided to change yesterday’s rep set up, so it looks like this: One rep constitutes 1 clean & 3 squats. 3 cleans & 9 squats = 1 set
  • Liked this setup a lot better than yesterday’s but my wrist took a beating due to all the bending of catching and holding the bar in the front squat. Luckily I made a small change in the way I held the bar after the 6th set which helped out a lot.

Strength work:
Band resisted thick rope pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Hamstrings
4 x 2 times around the bell
1 x 3 times around the bell

• Used a medium thick green band which is attached around a 32kg bell and a belt around my waist. Had to get my girl friend to place a foot on the bell in the last set, as the bell took off at the top of the pull up.

Bulletproofing:
TGU, alternating reps until shoulder stability begins to deteriorate
6 x 16kg kb, each side. 3 sec hold in the T plank in both the ascend and descent.

• Short session today though the explosive segment took quite a long time, mostly due to it being a new exercise and my wrist hurting a lot. the last three sets went by quickly after I changed my grip though.

• I had to cut the TGU’s short of just about 40 reps due to both my wrist hurting from the cleans and my broken finger just hurting in general. kind of bummed about that actually. I hate when I don’t get what I’ve planned done but on the other hand I fixed and issue with my clean grip which will benefit me in the future. In the end I think that’s a pretty good trade off.

• Any and all ideas, compliments, thoughts, questions, critique or whatever is as always most welcome.

Sunday 190715

Today’s training:

Explosive work:
Block clean to front box squat.

• I changed the setup, again. The weight I’m using for the clean is a bit to low for the squat, so I moved the clean station to the side and set up the rack for the squat. Going from the clean over to the rack.

A1 Block clean 10x3, No rest
9 x 52.5
1 x 55

A2 Front box squat with calf extension 10x3, 90s rest, Pause stretch: back of the forearm stretch. the meaty part.
1 x 60
5 x 70
1 x 80
3 x 70

• One rep constitues 1 clean & 3 box squats. 1 set = 3 cleans & 9 squats. Total of 30 cleans & 90 squats.

Strength work:
Block press, 5x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: Calf
2 x 70
3 x 75

Ended up being a short workout, but I think I was at the gym for about 2 hours, working out how to best get the clean front box squat working.

Tuesday 210715

Today’s training:

Explosive work: 10x1x3, No rest
A1 Block clean
8 x 52.5
2 x 55

A2 Front box squat with calf extension 10x3x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: back of the forearm, the meaty part.
10 x 80

• One rep constitutes 1 clean & 3 front box squats. 1 full set constitutes a total of 3 cleans and 9 front box squats.

Strength work:
Block press 5x5, 60s rest, pause stretch: Frog stretch
5 x 75

Bulletproofing:
Turkish get up and one arm overhead walk, Ascent only.
5 x 16kg kb
3 x 20kg kb
2 x 24kg kb
1 x 28kg kb

• 2s plank hold.

• Positives: This clean & FBS setup is great. Works much better in terms of getting some heavier weight going on the squats.

• Negatives: My knees are pretty banged out in general, so going below parallel in the squats, lunges or the descending part on the TGU where the knee gets closed really isn’t a good idea for me. I was doing some pretty heavy ass to the grass zercher squats not long ago without any issues. Took a break from training and when I came back, my knees was toast. I have no issues when rolling what so ever and doing leg presses in which ever leg press machine there is doesn’t bother me either. Free squats or whatever exercise one can think of that bends the knees and goes to parallel or beyond is completely out the question.
    I haven’t felt any discomfort for a long long time though, so I was beginning to think it might have gotten better. Well turns out it haven’t. I did one full TGU, ascent and descent and while descending, with a 16kg kb btw, I felt the pain rushing into the knee. Took me a few minutes lying on the floor before I could flex the leg again. Have to see a doc at some point.

• So there’s this guy at the gym. I think he might be retarded or just looking for a fight. I’ve noticed him twice now, just looking at me, well starring is more like it, eyes completely open, head tiltet forward, fists clinched and doing everything he can to make noise while training. Screaming, throwing equipment around, adding weight to stuff he already can’t lift while looking at me at the same time. In his breaks he’s in dangerously close proximity to me and my area. Last time that happened my former training buddy and I had a full blown riot going after he asked the guy why he was starring at us. Think I’m just going to ignore this guy.

Thursday 230715

Today’s training:

A1 Block clean
7 x 52.5
3 x 55

A2 Front box squat with calf extension 10x3x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Frog stretch
9 x 80
1 x 82.5

• One rep constitutes 1 clean & 3 front box squats. 1 full set constitutes a total of 3 cleans and 9 front box squats.

Strength work:
Band resisted stick grip pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: calves
1 x 4 times around the bell
1 x 4 times around the bell + 5kg
1 x 4 times around the bell + 10kg

• The bell lifts off at the peak of the pull up when the band is 4 times around. it’s a 32kg bell.

Bulletproofing:
Turkish get up and one arm overhead walk, Ascent only. Approximately 20-25 steps
1 x 4 x 20kg kb (8 total)
1 x 2 x 20kg kb (4)
1 x 3 x 20kg kb (6)

• 2s plank.

• The pull ups tend to irritate my right shoulder when I begin to internally rotate the hands in towards the chest. Good news is that it’s only when I have to give it all I’ve got for that last 10 cm. Bad news is that I don’t know how not to push my self to that point. The TGU’s seem to alleviate a lot of the irritation though, so the pull up and the tgu go well together.

• I really love pull ups and they are, if not the best, then one of the top 3 best exercises for grapplers, imo. Problem is that I tend to overdo it.

• My broken finger doesn’t really bother me anymore so as of next workout I’ll exclude the cleans and implement the speed deadlift’s… I probably just jinxed the fuck out of everything with that sentence…

Saturday 250715

Today’s training:

Explosive work: 10x3, No rest
A1 Explosive bw glute bridges
10 x bw

A2 Speed/band Deadlift, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Squat - Medium thick green band on all sets.
2 x 50
4 x 60
3 x 70
1 x 60

B1 Block clean
7 x 52.5
3 x 55

B2 Front box squat w/ full calf extension 10x3x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Glute stretch
8 x 80
2 x 82.5

Bulletproofing:
Turkish get up and one arm overhead walk, Ascent only. Approximately 20-25 steps
1 x 5 x 20kg kb (10 total)
1 x 5 x 20kg kb (10)

• 2s plank.

• I hadn’t planed on doing any cleans today but after the dead’s I wanted to see if the acceleration had improved, which it had. Lasted 3 or 4 sets before it “normalized” again. I’ll be doing the speed dead’s for the next 10 or so workouts after which I’ll probably begin with the cleans again. I won’t be doing the same setup though. I’m thinking I’ll probably do the clean and front squat but without changing the bar. This might allow me to perform an overhead press after the ascend. All depends on my shoulder health and strength at the time though.

Sunday 260715

Today’s training:

Neural charge for explosive work:
Explosive bw glute bridges, 3 reps before every explosive work set.

Explosive work:
Speed/band Deadlift, 10x3, 60s rest, pause stretch: Frog stretch - Medium thick green band on all sets.
2 x 50
4 x 60
3 x 70
1 x 50

Strength work:
BB glute bridge 5x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Spiderman stretch
5 x 200

Rising bb shrugs 3x10, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Hamstring
2 x 60
1 x 70

Bulletproofing:
Lumbar wall bridge 3xuntil it feels like stopping, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Triangle glute stretch
2 x 8
1 x 4

Turkish get up and one arm overhead walk, Ascent only. Approximately 32 steps
1 x 4 x 20kg kb
1 x 3 x 20kg kb
4 x 2 x 20kg kb

• 2s plank.

Grip work:
Plate hold 3xmax time, rest same as time holding
1 x 10kg plate x 1:30
1 x 10kg plate x Left 1:07 / right 1:20
1 x 10kg plate x 48s

Tuesday 280715

Today’s training:

Explosive work:
Giant set: A1 > A2 > A3, 10x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Frog stretch

A1 Speed deadlift: 10 x 70 - Medium thick green band on all sets.
A2 Block cleans: 5 x 52.5 - 5 x 55
A3 Front box squat w/ full calf extension: 8 x 80, 2 x 82.5

Strength work:
Leg press, 5x5, 60s rest, pause stretch: glute
1 x 130
3 x 140
1 x 150

Rising bb shrugs 3xuntil it feels like stopping, 60s rest, pause stretch: hamstrings
2 x 60 x 10
1 x 70 x 10

Bulletproofing:
1 x 5 x 20kg kb - forward walking
1 x 5 x 20kg kb - sideways walking

• 2s plank

Thursday 300715

Today’s training:

Explosive work:
Giant set: A1 > A2 > A3, 10x1x3, 10x1x3, 10x3x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Squat

A1 Speed deadlift 10 x 70 - Medium thick green band on all sets.
A2 Block cleans 4 x 52.5 - 6 x 55
A3 Front box squat w/ full calf extension 6 x 80 - 4 x 82.5

• One rep constitutes 1 deadlift, 1 clean & 3 front box squats. 1 full set constitutes a total of 3 deadlift’s, 3 cleans and 9 front box squats.

Strength work:
Weighted thick rope pull ups 3x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Iron cross
2 x 17.5
1 x 20

Bulletproofing:
1 x 5 x 20kg kb - sideways walking

• Exhaustion is beginning to set in, specifically due the added complexity of the explosive work and it’s becoming apparent that I’ll soon need to address the issue. I’ll either have to train less often, maybe every third day, which will allow me to keep up with the current volume and complexity of the program or go back to a more basic and simplistic training setup, only doing singular explosive work.
    I wont know until I get there but I’ll keep pushing the boundaries and limitations of both my work capacity and general well being of my body before I’ll have to take action. I don’t know any other way.

Friday 310715

Today’s training:

Explosive work:
Giant set: A1 > A2 > A3, 10x3, 90s rest, pause stretch: Squat

A1 Speed deadlift 2 x 70 - 3 x 75 - 5 x 80 - Medium thick green band on all sets.

A2 Block clean 4 x 55 - 3 x 57.5 - 3 x 55

A3 Front box squat 3 x 85 - 5 x 90 - 2 x 82.5

Strength work:
Band resisted stick grip pull ups 5x3, 60s rest, Pause stretch: Frog stretch
1 x 3 times around the bell + 5kg
1 x 3 times around the bell + 10kg
2 x 4 times around the bell

Bulletproofing:
Alternating between forward, sideways & backwards.
3 x complete alternating circuit x 20kg kb
1 x complete square x 16kg kb
3 forward x 24kg kb

• One complete alternating circuit constitutes 1 tgu & 32 forward steps with right arm followed by left arm. 1 tgu & 32 lateral steps with right arm followed by left arm. 1 tgu & 32 backward steps followed by left arm.
  • A square is approximately 10x10x10x10 steps. Forwards, sideways, backwards, sideways, ending up at the starting position.
    A complete square constitutes 1 tgu & forward, lateral, backward and lateral steps with right arm followed by left arm which is then repeated in the other direction with first the right arm starting with a tgu & then lateral walk, forward, lateral and backwards. ending up with the left arm doing the same.

Grip work:
Plate hold 2xmax time, rest same as time holding
1 x 15kg plate x 50s (left) 55s (right)
1 x 15kg plate x 35s