The Brotherhood of Iron 1.0

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

What surgery did you have before this?

Cool idea with the box jumps.[/quote]

I tore the lateral meniscus in my left knee last year. The tear occured during a front squat however my doctor and I believe the injury was more of a cumulative effect of years of sports and weight lifting.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
AC, I’ve thought of adding some box jumps/depth jumps before leg day after seeing Nate Green put them in programs, you want to put any thoughts out on how its been adding those in ? I’ve also tried explosive push ups before benching and seen some solid results personally.[/quote]

My lifts are going up so I got to believe they are helping.

Becoming more explosive is something I’ve known I needed to work on and became extremely apparent to me while Christian was coaching us in Colorado. With his guidance he showed us various techniques to use. The explosive movements help to active the nervous system and condition you for the quick turnaround while lifting.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Im in.

Military/Chins/Dips today, nothing too sexy, just getting done what I can at the parents house between finishing shopping, spending time with the nephew and niece.

Gonna go find a gym for some proper squats tomorrow.

Beans, good to see ya here.[/quote]

Dude I just found out our rec center is closed from the 25th-3rd, I’m scrambling to find a gym haha

And so it has begun. We are “blessed” to restart a BOI here. Glad to see Stu in the mix

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Little high on those squats sweetness.[/quote]

I think the first one was high, the rest were legit. Angle and my fatness is blinding to you

Guess I might as well make this my 5/3/1 deload week before I start back up after the new year

Military
135 x 12/8/8/8

BTN standing shoulder press
135 x 6/6/5

Wide grip pull ups
10/10/10/10/8/3

BW dips
15/15/15/15/10/5

Couple sets of BB curls with 115.

–JB

90 second rests

BB curl

45x5
55x5
65x5
75x5

85x14
75x12
55x13

palm up db curl

20x13

lying db tricep extensions to shoulder

20x10

30x15
25x12
20x11
15x18

Oly Squats (No belt)

45x10
135x6
185x6
225x4

285x14
225x13
185x16
dry heaved for 90 seconds
185x11

The 285 set was a 10 lb PR.

Got to wrap some presents now.

KeyStone Deadlift
Conventional Deadlift
Barbell Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Military Press
Back Squat

Complex

6 reps
5 reps
4 reps
3 reps
2 reps
1 rep

using 135 pounds in the form of oly bar 35’s and 10’s for better ROM vs 45’S…might use 25’S eventually

90 rest between the 5 and 6 ep sets…60 for 3 and 4 30 for 2 and 1

only steady state cardio + yoga in the morning (tommorow’s workout)

Happy Holidays FOAR EVERYWUN FRUM ROCKY WITH LUV <3 <3

Pulled 300 for 5 today. New PR after I only got one rep last week. Not a huge lift but I’ve only been strength training for 6-7 months now so anything 300 and above makes my day.

275 x 10 on the CGBP (close grip bench press) No pain in the elbows so I’m happy

Sounds like fun, missed out on the other BOI threads

DC training 12-23-09

EZ curls
55x10
85x8
90x12-7-3=22

Seated Calf Raise
3plates x12
4plates x12
5plates x9

Seated leg curls
110x10
150x8
165x15

Leg press
6plates x10
10plates x8
14plates x12-8-3=23 WM

Sunday morning rack pull from the knee
445x8 PR
500x1 PR (most I’ve tried)
600xfail

If this thread takes off I might grab the camera.

Deadlifts - 420x12 - Rep PR Touch n Go
All-time best - 455x5

Squats - 300x12 - Rep PR
All-time best - 365x3

370kg on the leg press for 10 (PB) last night, plenty more in tank but back was feeling tight so didn’t push it as 2009 has been the year on injuries for me…

[quote]Wapptor wrote:
Pulled 300 for 5 today. New PR after I only got one rep last week. Not a huge lift but I’ve only been strength training for 6-7 months now so anything 300 and above makes my day. [/quote]

I fully remember how fucking cool pulling 315 felt the first time.

Good work man, and congrats

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
All-time best - 455x5

Squats - 300x12 - Rep PR
All-time best - 365x3[/quote]

Aaahahha your going to be sore as fuck. Good work though man, I assume that was in the same workout? If so, I commend your balls.

I can still remember all of my benchmark accomplishments in the gym… from amounts of weight lifted, to measurements on a tape measure… good times, good times :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I never really got involved in the older versions of this thread,… not really for any important reason, but probably because it just seemed to have tons of replies and never really struck me as anything require input on my behalf. Still, reading over this,… the whole concept of encouraging each other, the idea of mentoring newer trainers,… well, that’s something I’ll admit to feeling very strongly about.

When I was in college, my older friend Scott took me under his wing and dragged me to the campus gym 7 days a week. Scott may not have been Thibaudeau, but he had a good handle on the basics, and to my 20 year old, 150 lb frame, he seemed huge (about 220 at 5’11). While I eventually learned a lot about nutrition, and what worked for me, I would not have gotten started without Scott. I should also note that because everyone on campus knew Scott (Worked as a bouncer at a very popular bar, was our frat’s social chair, top goalie in the local hockey league), people associated me with him, and apparently I was deemed “okay” when I started coming to the gym without Scott. Bigger guys on the football and wrestling team were always very cool and informative answering my questions, no matter how silly they may have sounded to experienced gym rats. Years later, I started finding myself in the situation where younger, and newer trainees would routinely approach me with questions. While not always at the most opportune moments, I do try to keep myself collected, and do my best to give them the best, most honest and straightforward answers that I can. Sure, sometimes some idiot kid will start asking me questions while I’ve got a few hundred lbs at arms’ length over my head. I ignore him until my set is done, and calmly (through gritted teeth usually) explain why what he just did was damn stupid.

Almost 2 years ago, I saw some tall, kinda soft dude attempting deads with some of the worst form I could have imagined. I went over and POLITELY explained that I had suffered a pretty back back injury myself, and that what he was doing looked like what I had done (not entirely true, but always a better way to say someone’s doing something totally wrong). Long story short, Corey is now my best training partner, and in the time since that day, we’ve bulked him to about 225lbs, then cut down to 190lbs (tightest his abs have ever been), slowly back up to about 215, and hoping to bring him down again for a show in the Spring. Despite the fact that he’s only been seriously training for a couple of years, he’s without a doubt one of the smartest, most committed trainers I have ever met. Giving him a bit of advice, and some encouragement has served us both quite well.

S
[/quote]

You’re a good man Stu. Though I rarely post anywhere but SAMA it is because of the few like you that I am constantly coming in here and in T-Cell. It’s surprising how much you can learn by just reading and applying.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
All-time best - 455x5

Squats - 300x12 - Rep PR
All-time best - 365x3[/quote]

Aaahahha your going to be sore as fuck. Good work though man, I assume that was in the same workout? If so, I commend your balls.[/quote]

Yeah, I bet you were feeling the DOMS by the time you walked to your car. Bet that 12th rep on deads felt like your traps were gonna come off.

Great job.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I can still remember all of my benchmark accomplishments in the gym… from amounts of weight lifted, to measurements on a tape measure… good times, good times :slight_smile:

S
[/quote]

Good times indeed Stu! I remember when I first cleared 225 on the flat bench. It was a monumental moment for someone that could barely bench 30lbers

For the guy who posted the initial squat video, countingbeans I think… Your squat is more like a good morning rather than a squat - well actually the first two reps were good, but on the other reps your hip thrust and leg drive disappears. Watch the video after the second rep, pay attention to the position of the weight and the effect your leg drive has on moving the weight upwards.

You will notice from the 3rd rep onwards your leg drive is not pushing the weight (look at how the weight moves when your legs move), instead you are using your leg drive to push your ass back and up in doing so shifing the load to the lower back which you then lock out with a good morning.

If you are a powerlifter just looking to get to parallel and back up then you can disregard my advice… But if you want max leg development it would be better if you could remain more upright during the squat by adopting a higher bar position, feet narrower and going deeper. The caveat of this method is that you have to use less weight but the legs get hit much better. I would say that after a squat session your lower back is what hurts the most?

Don’t mean to bust your chaps mate, just trying to save you the time I had to spend getting (still getting) my squat to work the areas I want, namely the legs.