The Brexit Effect

So my government is moving to embrace hell. God help us all.

Keep the updates coming. Very interesting to follow

1 Like

A perspective from a bitter Australian

1 Like

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/business/uk-to-remain-in-european-common-transit-convention-after-brexit-892655.html

This undermines a major plank of the apocalyptic contentions.

Whatever would we do without the EU to regulate tooth brush standards? The mind recoils at the thought.

1 Like

Interesting documentary from the Blair years about Britain’s relationship with the EU. It contains interesting aspects of why we entered and subsequently voted to depart.

Nor do the vast majority of the people who voted on either side, or the media organisations they get their knowledge from.

We find it adds a whole new layer of fun to politics if no-one knows what’s going on.

3 Likes

Ah we all know what’s going on. A good dose of British prevarication before enacting a law that amounts to a proper British compromise, namely one that everyone detests.

I want to leave with no deal,

Leave means leave

My great grandad didn’t serve as a sergeant in Africa against the Germans to beat them, come home, retire to then have our country ordered by Germans it is ridiculous, The EU want an army of their own?, will this be the third time something bad happens when germany gets power?

Also I want Globalist May out, Her deal is basically lose all the benefits of the EU but keep the negatives…

I hope she resigns and UKIP wins, Labour and Conservatives are not for the working class people…

Labour sent our lads to Iraq on a lie, and Conservatives are just as bad and undemocratic.

Also MP’s do not understand the bargaining power we have they act like we are a shitty little country they don’t need yet we used to be Great Britain…

Also if you agree with me watch this video, it gives me goosebumps to see what we once were

@Legalsteel

I must be dense.
May seems like a bad actor, wanting to get UK out of EU, but not really due to the economic ‘deals’.

Parliament continues to shoot that down, but remainers are the ones shooting it down. Since tyrants love to operate under cover of darkness, why aren’t the financial entanglements liked by the stayers.

What am l not seeing?

Nope. May’s deal failed spectacularly because hard line Brexiters - the ironically named European Research Group (ERG) voted against leaving the EU and killed the deal. The deal that was supposed to lead them - in their own words - out of “chattel slavery” and “vassalage”.

What baffles me the most is that the most ardent opponents of the allegedly tyrannical EU(SSR?), like Jacob “my nanny made me the man I am” Rees-Mogg are you know, the actual elite, while their supporters vote for them because they’re railing against…“the elites”.

There’s nothing that says “I’m in touch with the man on the street” more than deriding a colleague for attending a somewhat less expensive school.

Jonathan Pie provides a great summary as always:

4 Likes

Hate to disagree with you, but most of the ERG were on side for the last vote (albeit reluctantly).

Labour and the SNP killed her deal for entirely cynical party politics reasons. The DUP correctly point out that the backstop is a breach of the GFA, and so were a no. It was 26 ERG Tories and 6 Remain Tories who voted against it, compared with 250 Labour MP’s.

In fairness, he is posh, but he’s also openly so. Anthony Blair is also posh, but denies it (along with the Labour front bench.)

May is genuinely doing her best, she just a dreadful tactician, and doesn’t understand who she is dealing with. The commission don’t ‘negotiate.’

I’m also sanguine about he current mess, it took Ted Heath a decade to get us into the EU (using unscrupulous means) it’ll probably take that to get out.

If Corbyn gets elected, however, the EU will be the not be the greatest of our worries.

2 Likes

Didn’t the ERG kill the deal in the first two votes? From what I’m seeing, the only side that’s consistent when it comes to voting according to their principles are the dinosaur deniers (DUP)

Historically, decades of free trade are usually undone by cataclysmic events - world wars and financial crises when the subsequent massive economic downturns are unsuccessfully mitigated by protectionist tariffs.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in peacetime.

“Hey, you know what we missed out on? 70 years of communism that set the industrial heartlands of Central Europe almost a century back. We should try some of that stuff here to even out the playing field”

1 Like

Damn, @loppar

I thought only Americans were guilty of this kind of crap…

Another “damn” @loppar and @Legalsteel

Now I am ALL confused…

For all of us Brain Dead Americans (like me)…is Great Britain OUT of the EU or IN?

What just “falied” and is costing May her job?

(This is damn confusing…)

1 Like

Still in, at least for another couple of weeks, May 22nd being the final deadline set by the EU, rejecting May’s appeal for postponement till the end of July. But the general feeling in EU capitals is that they want the UK to leave as soon as possible deal or no-deal because everybody in Europe is tired of the psychotic girlfriend shtick the UK government has been doing for the last, oh, three years during negotiations.

The problem is that the Brexit referendum was never about the EU - about which the UK political class knows staggeringly little, despite UK being a member for close to 40 years - but about domestic politics and more devastatingly internal politics of both Conservative and Labour.

This means that all negotiations between the UK and the EU was driven by UK internal politics, the unworkable “red lines”. It’s mind numbing that after 3 years of negotiations in which the EU and the UK agreed a detailed 500 page withdrawal agreement the UK parliament is today holding “indicative votes” on what would they like to see in the said agreement, should no-deal be averted.

Also, the UK failed to drive a wedge between the 27 countries of the EU and failed to politically isolate the Republic of Ireland. If anything, the deranged antics of the UK politicians united all EU with the “oh for fucks sake” exasperated gasp.

Click through the link for a 14 second clip summing up the insanity.

@Legalsteel will probably disagree with me on all of these points

1 Like

@loppar you (and the Paddy Sisyphus video) have summed it all up pretty well. The fact that (as far as I’m aware) none of the people ‘leading’ us out of the EU actually wanted us out in the first place is both hilarious and galling in equal measure. Little wonder we find ourselves in the middle of this mess.

2 Likes

Even with all the ERG on side, it wouldn’t have been enough. The last hold outs did cost it victory the 3rd time.