The Boxing Thread

[quote]SKman wrote:
juice20jd:

seeing as how you’re from Canada, this question is mainly for you. Do you give Billy “the Kid” Irwin any shot at all against Juan Diaz on friday?[/quote]

i like irwin a lot… a ring vet with a much better resume and KO percentage then diaz, you can’t dismiss the possibility of an upset. however, i think this matchup will end up the same as the spadafora fight. diaz on points. although i’ll be cheering for irwin.

I’m thinking of going to Gatti-Leija on the 29th, down in Atlantic City.
My stepdad’s a HUGE boxing fan, and his b-day is the 31st, so it’d be a great present.

I just have to figure out whether its worth the cost to stay down there for the night, or what. We’ll probably drive straight back after the fight rather than spend 200-250 bucks on a room.

I’ll be rooting for Irwin too. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen him fight, but I remember him having a real sweet left hook to the liver.

[quote]SKman wrote:
I’ll be rooting for Irwin too. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen him fight, but I remember him having a real sweet left hook to the liver.[/quote]

yeah, it would be nice to see irwin win. he’s sort of on a comeback. he has won his last 8 fights, with the last six being by KO. i thought he was done after the back to back losses to spadafora and spivey. i’ll be rooting for him, but i still think that diaz will win on points. he’s similar to spadafora (no power, good boxer), and spads won an easy UD over irwin. this will be diaz’s biggest test to date, maybe irwin will expose him.

ok, irwin was beaten easily last night. one sided the whole fight. diaz by stoppage in the 9th. irwin looked ancient, and diaz has absolutely no power.

Yeah, Irwin looked almost sickly in the pre-fight interview. He’s had a long career and he’s lost in his two attempts at a title. Retiring was the right decision.

I watched the Mayweather fight last night and had a couple of comments. First, Mayweather looked terrific and if his hands stay healthy I’d pick him over anyone in the division.

Second I finally got to see Sam Peter on the Mayweather undercard. Peter has frightening power, but other than that he didn’t look like anything special.

I don’t know if it’s true yet, but I read on a boxing site that Lewis has announced he will come out of retirment to face Klitscho. This is not yet confirmed.

[quote]SKman wrote:
I watched the Mayweather fight last night and had a couple of comments. First, Mayweather looked terrific and if his hands stay healthy I’d pick him over anyone in the division.

Second I finally got to see Sam Peter on the Mayweather undercard. Peter has frightening power, but other than that he didn’t look like anything special.

I don’t know if it’s true yet, but I read on a boxing site that Lewis has announced he will come out of retirment to face Klitscho. This is not yet confirmed.[/quote]

Yeah I watched it too. I don’t get to see much now that I’m back at university and haven’t got access to SKY TV here. Mayweather looked a bit sharp didn’t he lol!

Apparently Lewis is being offered 21 million pounds or dollars - I can’t remember which. Either way it’s still a decent sum :wink: I really hope that this isn’t true and the fight never happens. Lewis could ruin his reputation if he can’t get back to his best.

It’s 21 mil. pounds - $39.3 mil. dollars

I read that also on the ESPN site. What do you guys think, if Lewis came back? I would predict Klitschko by knockout.

What about Mayweather vs. Tszyu? Mayweather looked good against Bruseles, but I’d still have to pick Tszyu.

I refuse to pick a winner for Lewis vs. Klitschko until I see how Lewis looks in a comeback fight. He’s almost 40 now and from what I’ve seen, he’s probably quite a bit above his best fighting weight. If he has no tune up first I will definitely take Klitschko.

I love Tszyu, but I think Mayweather wins by decision. The fight will never happen, Mayweather has a contract with HBO and Tszyu is with Showtime. Even listening to the HBO commentators, Larry Merchant wasn’t even willing to acknowledge Tszyu as the man to beat in the division (which he is). HBO would much rather put Mayweather in with guys they have deals with like Gatti and Cotto.

[quote]kligor wrote:
It’s 21 mil. pounds - $39.3 mil. dollars
[/quote]

Even though fans are starving for a decent heavyweight fight, this does not make sense (unless Klitschko is fighting for free). Lewis and Klitschko are simply not interesting enough to produce the Pay-Per-View numbers to meet such a high purse. The only times Lewis had really good numbers was against Holyfield and Tyson. If Lewis is making close to $40 million, Klitschko is going to want at least $20 million. There’s no way promoters can come up with $60 million to pay these guys when it could potentially bomb on PPV. The only way it might work is if it’s held in a large venue in Lewis’ home country of England. This way they can make back some of the money through ticket sales.

if lewis comes out of retirement for a second fight with vitaly (which i personally feel will never happen). i think lewis would win handily. this prediction is based solely on history…history has shown us that a motivated lewis is a devastating lewis. look at any point in his career when he looked bad or had something to prove or was looking for redemption…the result was an easy win for lennox. a motivated, prepared lewis is in a different class than viatly. but what the hell do i know anyway?

[quote]juice20jd wrote:
but what the hell do i know anyway?[/quote]

You must know how to please the ladies if that’s a picture of you in the aviator.

I predict a Lewis win by KO but why take the chance? I don’t think that he has anything to prove as nobody disputes that a fit Lewis would beat Klitschko.

Lewis stays retired for sure, this fight will not happen, he’s too concerned with his legacy and going out on top.

although i didn’t see the mayweather fight, i still believe he hasn’t shown enough at 140 to get excited about him. he may look great against a bum like he fought last week, but i will not be sold on him until he steps up to the plate and actually fights someone with a pulse…instead of second rate bums. he fought some class guys at the lower weights (castillo and corrales). but at 140 he’s only pulled a decision against a fading corley, and a “b” class fighter in bruseles. i think he could handle gatti; but harris, cotto and definately kostya …i’m not sure.

may 14: winky wright vs. tito trinidad

who you got winning this one? i can’t pick a winner. 50/50 as i see it, could go either way.

Wright is such a great boxer, and you know he is going to come in prepared and hungry. This is his chance to finally make some real money. I agree with you, it’s hard to pick a winner. On one hand, wright has the kind of style to frustrate Trinidad. My gut tells me that Trinidad pulls it out with his power punching. Seems like a risky fight for Tito when he could have picked someone much easier and still made good money. Props to Tito for giving Winky a shot!

ok, so by now we all know that gatti beat down leija as most of us predicted.

this saturday it’s zab judah vs. cory spinks…who you got?

i’m still sticking with spinks. nothing has changed since their first meeting. spinks by UD.

I’m sticking with my original prediction also, Judah by KO. I agree he’s come across as a punk in the past. Here’s hoping that having two losses under his belt brings some much needed maturity.

saw a replay of samuel peter vs. diaz last night. peter has impressive power in both hands! he looks a little raw and awkward at times, but from what i saw i’d put him in the lower half of the top 10 heavyweights currently out there.

also on the card was mayweather vs. bruseles. floyd did look very sharp! it doesn’t look like he has brought the same power he displayed at 130 and 135 up to 140 with him. i doubt he’d be able to hurt bigger welters like gatti or harris. interested to see how he matches up in this talent rich division.

[quote]SKman wrote:
I’m sticking with my original prediction also, Judah by KO. I agree he’s come across as a punk in the past. Here’s hoping that having two losses under his belt brings some much needed maturity.[/quote]

watched the fight and it was a pretty good one. judah finally looked like he was able to focus for an entire fight…a true surprise.

next big fight coming up is eastman vs. hopkins in 2 weeks. the more i think about this fight, the more i like eastman’s chances. hopkins has dominated a weak divison, beat all his mandatories…which doesn’t say too much considering the competition…and beat up on blown up fighters from lower weight classes. his only impressive win was against tito ( a blown up welter). de la hoya was a joke at 160, so he doesn’t count. eastman is a true middle with good power and an excellent beard. i like his chances.