The Boxing Thread III

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

point being, if you dont go down from kicks and knees to your head, i guess you probably can take a punch from a gloved fist pretty good.

The reason most of the guys in the Heavyweight class get knocked out is because of the force hitting their face. Gloves jsut reduce the cuts and tears to both the knuckles and the opponent. Gloves do not soften the force being applied from the punch. So, a gloved punch could still be just as deadly as an ungloved one.
[/quote]

Your confusing force (mass x acceleration) with impact (a function of the deceleration at impact). The padding in the heavier gloves reduces the impact by lengthening the time it takes for the impact velocity to reach zero, not significantly in the grand scheme of getting hit in the face, but more than enough that it reduces the knockout power of a landed punch.

Think of punching a steel wall, and then think of punching a steel wall with two inches of foam padding on it. In once case your fist comes to an immediate stop, you break your hand from the high impact. The foam padding “cushions” the impact and you get a gradual deceleration of your fist. The absolute force of the punch may be the same, but one is much more devastating because of the higher impact.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
donut, i disagree that losses to sanders and brewster were “meltdowns”

both of those guys are very dangerous fighters, and would be a risk to any top heavyweight, especially early in a fight.

corrie is a big athletic southpaw, who has a devastating left hand.

lamon was a champion, and had i think three successful title defenses against quality opponents.

true about vitali’s chin and toughness. did he(vitali) have like 200 pro-kickboxing matches, many in the very rough and tumble eastern european circuits, and never been knocked out?

point being, if you dont go down from kicks and knees to your head, i guess you probably can take a punch from a gloved fist pretty good. [/quote]

I think you are right to a point, that those losses were not horrifying, but I trul think that any respectable heavyweight champion should have dominated Corrie or Lamon. Corrie just died instantly from a punch by Osborne Machimana who is like 13-5, and Lamon is a more respectable loss but still someone who he should have destroyed without question, just like he did in the rematch and like mediocre talent Sergei Lyakhovich did.

I’m not sure what happened in either of those fights, Corrie he just got stupid and drilled, and he claims he went into diabetic shock or something stupid in the Brewster fight. Whatever it was, he seems to have put them behind him.

And Vitali did get knocked out cold as ice once by Pele Reid with a spinning hook kick right to the jaw.

Nice thread.

Just watched the Pavlik fight last night, took ages for me to download it. Was avoiding the friggin news, internet etc for the last two days! Will have to watch it again to see how much Pavlik won it by…god only knows how some people saw it as getting too close to call…

Recently, just saw the Darchinyan vs Gorres fight. Only seems to reinforce the feeling that Vic aint as bad as he wants to be. Nonito will spark him out again imo…

Quintana vs Williams was excellent, love the way Quintana boxes. Have got to re-watch the Cotto fight again to remind myself how badly it went down for him…

Gentlemen, any thoughts on Manny vs Marquez??
Am having fuckin fits over this one, it don’t get any better imo (well it does - two years ago would have been better, but you know what I mean…)

cheers.

red

That Quintana-Williams fight was excellent. Quintana showed a whole mess of heart going toe to toe and hammering Williams with that overhand left… I really enjoyed that fight.

It didn’t look like Williams was going to really go down at any point, but Quintana was the clear winner.

Klitchko-Ibragimov tonight. Wlad weighed in a jacked 238, Sultan a trim 218.

I hope this is a good fight.

It will probably be good in that Wlad is going to explode his face. Dr. Klitchko on Conan:

Very pleasant guy as always. I almost died about his “tent” comment.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Klitchko-Ibragimov tonight. Wlad weighed in a jacked 238, Sultan a trim 218.

[/quote]

I’m still waiting for him to sport a blond flat top.

I apologize if anyone watched that on my word…lol.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I apologize if anyone watched that on my word…lol.[/quote]

Haha, I know what you mean, but Wlad did what it took to get the comfortable win. Why take unnecessary risks just for the crowd or some random people behind the TV? He doesn’t have the best of chins and if he had lost again the way he did three times already (whereas the Purtiy fight is quite a while back), he’d most likely have been out of it.

I’d liked to have seen a KO as much as anyone and it would have confirmed his status as the best heavyweight in an even more impressive fashion, but I also can appreciate the way he dominated the fight the way he did. The boos after almost every round were uncalled for in my opinion…

I agree. It was obvious Wlad outclassed him in every regard. Although, Sultan did shoot a pretty double leg he turned into a body lock to get the takedown. If not for the early stand up he would have gotten half gaurd.

Terrible. Another reason why heavyweights suck.

Wlad could have knocked him out an any time, but instead sat behind the jab. Technically smart… if you’re a cunt who’s not going to push himself.

Sultan showed a lot of heart standing in there and taking a beating, and threw some decent punches, but they’re completely different caliber fighters.

This is why no one will really ever care about Klitcho… fans don’t like fighters like that.

I’m very dissapointed.

The undercard fight with the Irish guy was far more entertaining.

To Wlad’s defense, Sultan is an incredibly awkward fighter, and has a fantastic chin and many of those crosses he ate would have KO’ed about everyone in the division. I can’t blame him for pitching a shut out, but he’s not exactly making a compelling case for the HW division. Then again, he has a string of about 6 incredible knockouts in a row so I can excuse him for one lackluster performance. They just need someone to push him hard, like the way Brock or Sam Peter came right at him.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
To Wlad’s defense, Sultan is an incredibly awkward fighter, and has a fantastic chin and many of those crosses he ate would have KO’ed about everyone in the division. I can’t blame him for pitching a shut out, but he’s not exactly making a compelling case for the HW division. Then again, he has a string of about 6 incredible knockouts in a row so I can excuse him for one lackluster performance. They just need someone to push him hard, like the way Brock or Sam Peter came right at him.[/quote]

I agree.

It will be Klitscho’s biggest downfall… people will always say that he only fought bums. Not his fault, of course, but he wasn’t lucky enough to have opponents who made him elevate his game the way they used to.

Until some decent fighters get in there, the entertaining fights will stay at the MW division.

Well, it’s not long to go before Marquez vs Vasquez III…

What do you reckon - has Rafa learned his lesson? Will he go back to boxing this time, or still fight toe to toe?

IF he elects to box, I can see him winning on points no problem. But the guy has got some pride man…he just don’t like to get hit!

I think Marquez-Pacquiao will be a very good fight. I think Pacquiao won the first time and I think he will win this time and complete the Mexican trifecta.

I don’t see anything on the horizon for the heavyweights. Who is Klitchko going to fight?

Finnally we need Mayweather-Cotto.

Just watched the Mayweather video. Was that real? Couldn’t have been right, it was wrestling. The punch looked real though and Big Shows nose was really broken. I hope Big Bhow doesn’t get pissed, leave the script and injure Floyd. Weird stuff.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
Just watched the Mayweather video. Was that real? Couldn’t have been right, it was wrestling. The punch looked real though and Big Shows nose was really broken. I hope Big Bhow doesn’t get pissed, leave the script and injure Floyd. Weird stuff.[/quote]

I like Floyd as a boxer, but he’s a bit of an egomaniac. I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually punched the Big Show and from what I hear from my buddy who’s into wrestling, his nose was broken.

I don’t see anything on the horizon for the heavyweights. Who is Klitchko going to fight?

[/quote]

He might fight the winner of Maskaev vs Peter if Vitali gets injured in training againg. If Peter wins, that will be the great rematch if Wlad fights, especially since then Klitschko would hold 3 out of 4 heavyweight title belts.

If not, then he won’t really have any more worthwhile opponents. Sad, huh?

I think Marquez-Pacquiao will be a very good fight. I think Pacquiao won the first time and I think he will win this time and complete the Mexican trifecta.

Finnally we need Mayweather-Cotto.

Just watched the Mayweather video. Was that real? Couldn’t have been right, it was wrestling. The punch looked real though and Big Shows nose was really broken. I hope Big Bhow doesn’t get pissed, leave the script and injure Floyd. Weird stuff.[/quote]

At the end of the clip they show it in slow motion, and yo can clearly see one jab and two uppercuts land clean. They were real punches.

Extraordinarily stupid for Mr. “My hands are so fuckin fragile”.

Figured I’d post this up… it sucks that the fight is a month away, but I’m excited.

BHop all the way… this is when he knocked out Trinidad. Badass.