T Nation

The Blitz Approach

Hello,

I've followed your 'High Pull Blitz' twice through since the beginning of the year and have made really good progress. A friend has challenged me to getting 140kg overhead any way any how before Christmas. Can the Blitz approach be re-appropriated for overhead work? Currently my everyday maxes for overhead are as such;

Press 65
Push press 85
snatch grip behind the neck push press 90
Snatch grip behind the neck push jerk 100
Regular jerk 90

While I'm under no illusions it's going to be easy, but I believe I can at least put more overhead before Christmas than my fellow contender.

Any advice or feed back from anyone would be appreciated,

KVB.

I am pretty sure that there is a thread in CTs section that deals with him helping someone with Push Press specialization. I remember seeing it within the past few months or so.

Copied from CTs thread:

Here’s a good specialization program to boost your strict pressing performance.

MONDAY - STRICT STRENGTH 
Strict press 5 x 3-5 using the double progression model (the goal is to do all 5 work sets with the same weight, if you can do all 5 sets for 5 reps, you can go up in weight at the next session. If you get something like 5,5,5,4,3 you stick with the same weight).

First half press (from bottom position to eyes level) 5 x 3 (try to use 10% more than what you used in the strict press, work doing the lifting action explosively but without leg drive, and lower back down slowly)

Negative press (lift as a push press, lower back down to the shoulders as slowly as possible, especially from forehead to shoulders) 5 x 1 ideally using the same weight as on your first half press

TUESDAY 
Front squat 5 x 3-5 using the double progression model

Deadlift 5 x 3-5 using the double progression model

Bent over row 5 x 6-8 using the double progression model

WEDNESDAY - OVERLOAD 
Push press with diminishing leg drive* 5 x 1 with your target strict press weight at the end of the cycle (be realistic… you wont add 60lbs in 4 weeks! a 10% increase is very realistic over a 4-6 weeks period for a spec routine)

Push press (normal leg drive) 5 x 3 with the same load as above, but this time you can use a strong leg drive

High incline bench press (60 deg. or 3rd pin setting on most adjustable benches) 5 x 3-5 using the double progression model

*Diminishing leg drive means that you use the smallest leg drive possible and you strive to use less and less leg drive each week, until you can do it without any leg drive (which would mean a PR in the strict press)

THURSDAY 
Floor press 3 x 3-5 using the double progression model

Preacher curl 5 x 6-8

DB hammer curl 5 x 6-8

Decline DB triceps extension 3 x 8-10

SATURDAY - STABILITY/GROOVE 
Zavickas press (strict press performed sitting down on the floor with extended legs) 5 x 3-5 using the double progression model

Bradford press (press just above forehead, bring behind neck, press just above forehead, bring to the front, this is ONE rep) 3 x 6-8 reps

Seated DB press constant tension (from neck level to just above forehead) 3 x 10-12

Cheers gents, I appreciate it.

Here is also his recommendation on how to adjust the 915 program to boost your push press as well if you want his input on how he structures building the push press…

"This is for those wanting to do the 915 program but with the push press instead of the bench press.

If your push press’ sticking point is at eyes level or below correct your weakness with:

• Explosive 1/4 front squat going up on toes (jerk drive)
  • Jump squat (from a 1/2 to 1/4 squat) with push press weight
  • Incline bench press with pause on chest

If your push press’ sticking point is between eyes and halfway to lockout correct your weakness with:

• Strict press from pins from just above forehead
  • DB shoulder press
  • Military press with slow eccentric (5 seconds)

If your push press’ sticking point is near the lockout correct your weakness with:

• Close-grip incline bench press
  • Strict overhead press lockout from pins
  • Incline Tate press"

What kind of overload movements would one use for the push-press during weeks 4-8 of the 915 program?

[quote]Pabro wrote:
What kind of overload movements would one use for the push-press during weeks 4-8 of the 915 program?[/quote]

Overhead support (placing a bar in the power rack, about 2-3" before the lockout height pressing it up to lockout and holding)

or

1/2 push press (also called jerk drive) basically doing a push press with “too much weight” and only lifting it above your forehead.