The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Sunday, 9th December 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (5 x 60kg), superseded with 4 x push-ups with the TRX pulley system.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: sprinter step -ups (10 steps each leg holding 12.5 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x orange band).
•finished off with 4 rounds of prowler pushes (60kg, up and back), superseded with 4 pul-ups, while wearing the weight vest (10-15 kgs?), 60 second rest b/w each set.

notes:
I went easy on the squats and did sprinter step ups instead of walking lunges. Right quad is sill recovering. At least I know the cause (tight hip). I will continue with my stretching and trigger pointing.

Got a nice pump from the step-ups and it felt really good on the hips. Prowler is always fun, and I always feel it the next morning. No BJJ this weekend which is probably a good thing. I have been feeling a little run down and needed to back off a little. I also missed Thursdays gym session for some extra sleep.

tweet

Hey bird watchers!

So… I woke up Monday morning with what looked like a spider bite on my butt, and by Tuesday morning it had blown up into a good old staph infected boil!! FMD

I managed to get myself to ER by Tuesday night and got some antibiotics. On Thursday morning the boil had popped and I got some discharge, although today it is still a little hard and a sore. Im not sure if it had completely drained. I have an appointment to see the GP later today to reassess the situation.

For those that don’t know, I had to go under general anaesthesia about 3 months ago to have a boil lanced and drained. I really don’t want to go through all of that again as the process takes up 3 days, and then 4-5 weeks for the wound to heal. Im also not keen on the idea of general anaesthesia again. Maybe @furo can weigh in on this topic, but I just don’t think regular bouts of general can be a good thing.

Best case scenario is that its not that bad and just to continue with the antibiotics. Worst case scenario is that I will require surgery. I will let you all know in a few hours time…

tweet

Update:

Just seen the quack and he had a look at my boil. He says its pretty much fixed itself up, to finish my current course of antibiotics and Im good to go again!

tweet

2 Likes

Great news! Sorry to hear about it though.

1 Like

Saturday, 15th December 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 5 working sets of (5 x 100kg), supersetted with 5 pull-ups.
•Supersetted 4 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10x 35kg), with 15 x bodyweight push-ups.
•No single arm dB press, shoulder was feeling a litte sore

notes:
First day back at training after my 5 day break for my staph infection. Felt like I had not trained for months. I took it easy and just repeated the same weight as last week, even though I had planned to increase the weights.

Was a relief to be back in the gym. I was convinced that my boil would require lance and drainage, which would of meant a 3-4 week layoff.

tweet

Sunday, 16th December 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 6 sets of (6 x 60kg), superseded with 5 x push-ups with the TRX pulley system.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: sprinter step -ups (10 steps each leg holding 12.5 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x orange band).
•finished off with 5 rounds of prowler pushes (70kg, up and back), superseded with 5 pull-ups. And then 3 rounds of shoulder shocker.

notes:
Went light again. Still recovering from this staph infection. Everything went well. No weighted vest with my prowler/pull-up superset as I am trying to minimise my risk of further skin infections , and the weighted vest is the shared gym vest.

tweet

Tuesday, 18th December 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Front squat: 3 sets of (3 x 60kg), and 3 x (3 x 70kg). (5 reps of pull-ups on the rings b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 30kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 10 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 35kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•Finished off with some face pulls and band rotator cuff work.

notes:
Feeling somewhat normal again. Happy with this mornings session and I should be able to work up in weights for most movements.

Now that I am fully recovered from my staph, I will be returning back to BJJ tonight. Im a little nervous and hesitant regarding the recent staph episode. I just need to keep doing all the preventative stuff and hope it doesn’t happen again.

tweet

@theBird you should check out arm bar soap company man, stuff is legit. Anti-bacterial and smells great, not sure how much they’d charge to ship to Oz though. If anything maybe a local fight store near you would carry it

1 Like

@vikingirish: Thanks for the tip man. I’ve heard of it before and seen it sold at some MA stores. I’ve done my research, and science just says normal old soap with a loafer is just as effective, but Im desperate not to have staph like this again, so I will get some armbar soap the next time I’m down in the city.

tweet

Thursday, 20th December 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Trap bar deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 120kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Superset 4 sets: GHR: 8 x bird, with bodyweight walking lunges 10 steps each leg (bodyweight only
•Pallof press: 3 sets of 8 x orange band
•Finished off with some speed ladder and some leg mobility drills

notes:
Good session. Its been awhile since I have done traps, so I decreased the weight a bit. Right quad is slowly recovering, so I didn’t do any weighted lunges. Everything is feeling good. BJJ later tonight.

Im going down to the city for Christmas this weekend for 2 weeks. Im not sure if I will continue with my training. Might do a bit of a deload or maybe a mix up to a different program while Im away for 2 weeks.

tweet

Thursday, 27th December 2018.

So after a week of pure slothness I am back in my home town for a few days for work before I head back down to the city for another 5 days vacation. I think I am done with the “slothness” and will say that today I am officially back into training and some proper nutrition.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Trap bar deadlifts : 5 sets of (5 x 100kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Superset 4 sets: GHR: sprinter step-ups (20 steps holding 15kg dBs), with some “jumping pull-ups”
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press: 3 sets of 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird
• Finished off with a walk home and a dip in the ocean.

notes: Modified a few things as I was feeling rusty. Its amazing what 4-5 days of slothness can do to you. I instantly felt better in the gym,. physically and mentally.

As long as I am not kept back at work for too long tonight, I will head off to BJJ tonight.

tweet

And Im back. Had 2 weeks off down in the big smoke. I did manage to get to the gym a handful of times but treated the 2 weeks somewhat as a deload. Hope you all had a merry Christmas and a good happy new year!

Sunday, 6th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 60kg), supersetted with 12 x feet elevated push-ups/
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 12.5 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x orange band).
•finished off with 4 rounds of farmer walks, holding 40kg dBs (up, down & up).

notes: Went easy and light in my 1st day back in my normal gym. Everything felt good. No niggling injuries.

Im thinking of adding some minor changes into my current program, particularly rotating front squats with zercher squats, and bench press with floor press, and trap bar deadlift with sumo deadlift, maybe every 3-4 weeks. Also considering adding some more cardio in on my days off and trying to cut out some of the fluff with my time in the gym.

tweet

Tuesday, 8th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 70kg). (4 reps of pull-ups on the rings b/w sets)
•dB bench on an incline: 3 sets of 10 x 27.5kg
•dB row: 3 sets of 10 x 32.5kg.
•incline hammer curls: 3 sets of 10 x 15kg
-finished off with some walking single leg deadlifts and some “no money” band work

notes:
Good session. Should be able to work up on from here. I have a slight niggle in my left shoulder, but Im sure that will sort itself out in a matter of days.

BJJ tonight if its on.

tweet

Thursday, 10th January 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Trap bar deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 120kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Superset 3 sets: GHR: sprinter step-ups (20 steps holding 15kg dBs), with 4 x ring pull-ups
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press: 3 sets of 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird

notes:
I’m using my quads a little more than I should with the trap bar deadlifts… I need to somehow get more posterior chain into the action, although not too sure how? Maybe trying to emphasize more of a prouder chest? Maybe @furo can help here?

BJJ no-gi later on tonight. I have not done no-gi fpr about 6 months and Im assuming tonight we will run through some basics as we get used to no-gi again.

tweet

Saturday, 12th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 6 working sets of (3 x 105kg), supersetted with 4 pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10x 35kg), with 15 x bodyweight push-ups.

notes:
Woke up late so I had no time to fluff around in the gym. Having a time limit sometimes helps. Bench press was heavy. I might switch over to floor press next week as my shoulders probably need a break.

tweet

Sunday, 13th January 2019.

TRAINING

PM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 60kg), supersetted with 4 x ring pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 12.5 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x purple band).
•finished off with 4 rounds of prowler pushes (up and back) with 75 kg loaded onto the prowler, 1 minute rest.

notes:
Woke up late again, so I did this session in the evening. Wasn’t feeling the best and I felt the slightest twinge in my right quad, so I kept the weights light.

No BJJ this weekend as a few of the guys are still away on holidays.

In other news Im thinking of adding some cardio in my program. Dont have much time/room in my schedule so I might alternate a gym day every week for a “cardio” day. Cardio day will be sprints, either on the bike or running on grass. Will sit down tonight and work out how Im going to do this…

tweet

1 Like

Thursday, 10th January 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts : 5 sets of (5 x 90kg)
•Superset 3 sets: sprinter step-ups (16 steps holding 17.5kg dBs), with 4 x ring pull-ups

notes:
Tried out sumo’s for the first time and I think I like them. Feels more “natural” than the trap bar. I think I will try these out for 3-4 weeks. Will have to work on my form obviously and will try to get some videos up. I think 180kg for 2-3 reps is a realistic goal.
Everything else was good. I think I need to start to try some alternative pallof press positions and either increase my GHR reps of even add some weight.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Saturday, 19th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press: 6 working sets of (4 x 90kg), supersetted with 4 pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 40kg), with 12 x bodyweight feet elevated push-ups.
Finished off with 4 round of Farmer walks (up, down and up) holding 2 x 40kg dBs.

notes:
Will do floor press for my main movement for a few weeks to give my shoulders a break from benching. Nice quick session. Should be able to progress on all exercises next week.

tweet

Sunday, 20th January 2019.

TRAINING

PM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 70kg), supersetted with 4 x ring pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 15 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
•finished off with 4 rounds of prowler pushes (up and back) with 75 kg loaded onto the prowler, 1 minute rest.

notes:
Good session. Added some weight to most movements. Should be able to continue with progressing on this next week.

No BJJ this weekend.

tweet

Tuesday, 22nd January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Zercher squats: 5 x 5 with 50kg. (5reps of pull-ups on the rings b/w sets)
•dB row: 3 sets of 10 x 30kg.
-finished off with some speed ladder work

notes: omitted the dB bench and incline hammer curls (sore shoulder and short on time).
First time I did zercher squats and I think I like them. 50kg was a little light, but I will work up from here. I used my knee sleeves as elbow sleeves t make the bar placement more comfortable. Should be able to attempt 60kg next week.

tweet