T Nation

The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Thursday, 26th September 2018.

TRAINING

PM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Trap bar deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 110kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 55kg) (each leg) (4 pull-ups b/w sets)
•Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs 6 reps
•Walked home and then went straight to BJJ whee we worked on the butterfly guard sweeps and a few of the escapes.

notes:
Good session. Had some visitors over and hence I ended up training in the evening instead of the usual morning. I feel stronger in the evenings, but it also means I have to train with a bunch of other people in the gym, and that just frustrates me. Watching personal trainers do and say dumb shit really pisses me off. The whole fitness industry is fucked.

Next week I should be able to increase all weights. Trap bar deadlift is feeling better every week. Need to do some research on proper technique for the glute hams. Not sure if I am meant to finish at a 90 degree angle, or do I finish before the 90 degree angle and keep tension in my hamstrings??

Good to be back training at BJJ. Slowly getting my “mojo” back.

tweet

Saturday, 27th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Bench press: 6 working sets of (3x 100kg) , supersetted with 4 pull-ups.
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 30kg), with overhead single -arm dB press (5 x 25 kg).
  • Finished off with 3 rounds of shoulder shocker.

notes:
Everything felt good. Bench press wasn’t explosive as I would like it to be, but thats ok. Good back pump with the rows.

tweet

Sunday, 28th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 70kg), 12 push-ups with feet elevated b/w sets.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges (10 steps each leg holding 12.5kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x orange band).
•farmer walks: 3 rounds of 3 laps of the prowler track holding 40kg dBs.
•finished off with some speed ladder work and supine “no money” band work.

notes:
Good session. Everything feeling good. My right quad which has been cramping up was all good today. That means I should be able to start using some reasonable weight for the lunges.

Later on today I will most likely go to BJJ. Ou Sunday sessions go for about 2 hours, where in the first hour we concentrate on self defence, and the second half is more traditional BJJ with some rolling.

tweet

Tuesday, 30th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 70kg). (3 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 27.5kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 10 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 35kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•Finished off with some band pull-a-parts.

notes:
Last set of the front squats was hard, and I got sloppy with my form. Should be able to increase my dB press next week. dB rows were hard, hence will stick with this weight for a bit more.

BJJ is scheduled for tonight. I think we are looking at leg locks. Something that Im not very good at and have been caught a few times lately by the higher belts.

tweet

Thursday, 1st November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 60kg) (each leg) (3 pull-ups b/w sets)
•Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs 8 reps
•Finished off with some bad pull a-parts and hanging from the bar.

notes:
Deadlifts were heavy. Last week I did them in the evening and they didn’t feel as heavy. Might have to move this workout to the evening so I am in prime mode for deadlifts. Lunges were hard work as well. Probably will stick with these weights until I start to feel more confident. GHRs felt different again this week, but I got a nice hamstring pump.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Saturday, 3rd November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Bench press: 6 working sets of 3 x (3x 100kg) and 3 x (3 x 105kg), supersetted with 4 pull-ups.
  • Supersetted 4 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8x 35kg), with 12 x bodyweight push-ups.
  • 3 sets of single hand dB overhead press: (3 x 22.5kg), (3 x 25kg) & (3 x 27.5kg)
  • Finished off with 3 rounds (up, down and back up) of farmer walks holding 40kg dBs.

notes:
Feeling strong. Shoulders took a bit of waking up, but everything went well.

tweet

Sunday, 4th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 80kg), 12 push-ups with feet elevated b/w sets.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges (10 steps each leg holding 15 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x orange band).
•prowler: 4 rounds of up and back with 75kg stacked on the prowler, 1 minute rest.
•finished off with 3 rounds of “shoulder shocker”

notes:
Awesome workout. I feel that I could of gone harder/lifted more. But its days like this when I have to remind myself that sometimes “less is more” and “stimulate, don’t annihilate”.

tweet

Tuesday, 6th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 70kg). (4 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 30 kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 10 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 35kg), with dB hammer curls (8 x 17.5 kg).
•Finished off with some speed ladder work and supine “no money” band work

notes:
Squats were feeling strong. Should be able to up the weight to 75-80kg next time. dB bench was heavy.

Went to boxing last night for the first time in about 2 weeks. A little disappointed that we spent heaps of time doing stupid conditioning drills such as “do as many burpees as you can in 5 minutes”. I rather hit bags, do pad work or work on some sparring drills. Might have to stick to the morning sessions where they tend to stick to the boxing basics a bit more.

tweet

Hey man, awesome log you have here! I’m trying to balance strength training with martial arts as well (BJJ and Thai boxing) and was wondering how you balanced out your sessions so it doesn’t affect your performance in the gym or on the mats? Cheers

@vikingirish: hey Viking. Welcome to the cage.

Trying to get the “balance” right is a never ending battle, and I often push myself too hard to my detriment. I had recently suffered a staph skin infection which I think was due to training too hard and feeling run down.

I suppose at the moment my tactics for balancing things out, is having at least one day off a week, regular deep tissue massages (once every 2-3 weeks) and trying to listen to my body more by missing a session when not feeling the best. Im pretty flexible with my “boxing” as that is not my main goal, so boxing is the first to go when Im trying to rest more.

Do you have a training log?

tweet

@theBird ah I’ve heard staph infections can be brutal, hope that didn’t last too long man! I hear you on that it’s tough to figure out the right volume. For me I just try to separate my sessions as much as I can, ie gym at 7 in the morning then jits at 8 that night. And lots of foam rolling lol. I do have a log here, just started it a couple weeks ago. It’s called Road to Ragnarok!

Thursday, 8th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 60kg) (each leg) (4 pull-ups b/w sets)
•Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (7 x orange band), GHRs 7 reps
•4 rounds of prowler pushes (upend back), with 75kg, 1 minute rest. And then finished off with a bunch of band pull-aparts and hanging from the bar.

notes:
Deadlifts and lunges were heavy, although I think I am ready to increase the weight. Will need a decent warm-up though before upping the deadlift weight. Im loving the prowler… and hating it at the same time.

BJJ later tonight. We have been working on the shin to shin position, and transition into double-X and then into various leg locks. I haven’t done much leg locking so Ill try to pay some extra attention.

tweet

Saturday, 10th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 6 working sets of 6 x (3 x 105kg), supersetted with 4 pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10x 35kg), with 12 x bodyweight push-ups.
•3 sets of single hand dB overhead press: (3 x 22.5kg), (3 x 25kg) & (3 x 27.5kg)
•Finished off with 3 rounds (up & down) of farmer walks holding 42.5kg dBs.

notes:
Bench press was not as explosive as I would like, but I suppose that was to be expected. Did a back off set of 12 x 80kg at the end. The track was taken by a PT today, so my normal Farmer walk track was compromised, so I went a little heavier and did about 2/3 of the distance as I normally would. Started raining as I walking on the walk home, so I ended up finishing today with a light 1km jog. Thinking this is something I might do twice a week or so to get a little extra cardio in.

Im heading down to the city later today, so I will take the next 2-3 days off training. I will try and not to eat too much.

tweet

tweet

Tuesday, 14th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 70kg). (4 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 30 kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 10 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 35kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•Finished off with some speed ladder.

notes:
Felt a little rusty after my weekend away. Spent lots of time sitting down, ate lots of dumplings, drank lots of bubble tea and had a couple of beers. So I kept the weight the same as last week. everything went well and Im feeling a lot better after it.

Went to BJJ in the evening. Worked on shin to-shin, transitioning to X-guard, takedown and then either transitioning into a pass, or going into the leg lock game. I really enjoyed the shin to shin series we have done for the past 3 weeks and I should write it all down tonight before I forget.

tweet

Thursday, 15th November 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Trap bar deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 120kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Reverse barbell lunges: 2 x(8 x 70kg), 1 x (6 x 70kg) (each leg) (4 pull-ups b/w sets)
•Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs 8 reps
•2 rounds of prowler pushes (up and back), with 80kg, 1 minute rest. Was planning on doing 4 rounds, but I was stuffed and needed to keep something left in the tank for tonight’s BJJ.

notes:
Epic session. First 3 sets of deads were average, while I smashed the last 3 sets. Lunges were heavy, but I felt strong while doing them. Might have to consider adding weight for the GHRs. Feeling strong, but a little tried from this workout. Might be time to plan mini-deload.

Later tonight I will most likely visit the dojo for a BJJ session.

tweet