The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Sunday, 16th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

• walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 70kg), 12 push-ups with feet elevated b/w sets.
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges (10 x 12.5kg), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
  • farmer walks: 3 rounds of 3 laps of the prowler track holding 42.5kg dBs.
  • finished off with some speed ladder and supine “no money” band work.

notes:
My right quad/IT band was cramping/seizing up again as I was warming up for the squats, so I went light and concentrated on speed and mind-muscle connection. Im not sure whats wrong with the right quad, but Im not overly concerned as its only with squats I feel it. I think with time and some foam rolling it should all be good.

Had the gym to myself, so I decided to finish up on the speed ladder. I haven’t used one of these for a few years since retiring from football. It was fun and something different.

I was going to do some bike hill sprints later today, but Im not sure I will considering my right quad was cramping up. I will see how I feel later.

tweet

Doing well, backs acting up again. Can’t remember if it’s been 2 or 3 weeks, but ready to not be in pain.

That’s great. I’d love to start doing this again, but there isn’t a good place to train within a 40 minute drive.

@dchris: Sounds like you live remotely? What triggered your lower back issue?

tweet

Ya… I moved to a new town last summer. It’s a great up and coming community of ~1500-2000 people. There is a city of 45,000 10 minutes away, but it doesn’t have a good place to train. Just a YMCA that a purple belt teaches out of as a fitness class. A 40 minute drive will get me a great black belt, but I’m traveling for work more and can’t commit to being away another 2 nights a week, when I’m gone 2-3 already.

I was doing an AMRAP back off set of 235lbs with a Trap Bar. Rep 3 I felt my lumbar disc compress. I dropped the weight, felt fine until about 5 minutes later. It’s odd, I can feel it get inflamed.

Hey friends,

Apologies for the lack of up-dates, but I had a little incident and have not been training.

Last Friday I attended the emergency department with an angry looking boil on my groin, and expecting a course of antibiotics and possibly draining. To my horror the Dr admitted me to hospital overnight and I was listed for surgery the next day for lancing and draining of the abscess.

All went well, but there will be no training for me for a few weeks as I wait for the incision to heal. Hopefully in about a weeks time it will be safe to start up with some upper body training.

I most likely caught the infection at BJJ. I have also been feeling a little run down lately and my immune system might of have been down. I really need to learn to listen to my body a little better.

I will keep you all updated.

tweet

2 Likes

Damn man, hopefully it heals up fast

1 Like

Birdy! I’ve found a deadlift version I seem to be able to do pain free:

Zercher good mornings.

Yup, it’s uncomfortable as fuck to hold the bar like that, but I really feel it way more in my midsection, and also loads more in my hamstrings. First time I’ve ever actually felt my hamstrings work in a deadlift variation, rather than just my low back.

Fair enough I’m not using a huge amount of weight, sets of 20 with a short rest so going for burn rather than max weight, but so far so good. Been maybe 6 weeks and my low back feels like it’s actually getting better rather than worse.

Might be something you want to try.

2 Likes

@Yogi1:

Interesting. Might have to give it a shot. Ever tried Zercher squats?

tweet

Ah man. Thought I hadn’t seen you about in a while. Hope you are healing well and will be back soon!

@Ironwarrior25: hey mate. Thanks for the message. Starting back up at the gym this week, but obviously no BJJ until my wound closes over.

For those that don’t know, 16 days ago I went in for surgery for a “lance and drain” of a skin infection on my abdomen. I was run down, my immune system was down and I probably caught something off the mats at BJJ. Surgery went well, but now I am just waiting for my open wound to close. Every 2 days I need to go to the wound clinic, where they clean my wound and re-bandage it. The wound is probably only a few millimetres deep and Im hoping it will be all closed up by the end of the week.

For 2 weeks I have done nothing but play Spider-Man on the PS4 and gone for the occasional walk. Extremely frustrating. Yesterday was my first session back at the gym, which I will log in a few moments…

tweet

Sunday, 7th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four
•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 50kg), 12 push-ups with feet elevated b/w sets.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges (10 x 12.5kg), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
•farmer walks: 3 rounds of 3 laps of the prowler track holding 37.5kg dBs.
•finished off with supine “no money” band work.

notes:
First session back, and hence I went extremely light. Officially I have not been cleared by the nurses at the wound clinic to workout again, but as you guys will understand, doctors and nurses that don’t lift don’t understand the importance and magic of lifting. Hence I have cleared myself to lift again.

Everything went well. I did feel some cramping of my right side IT band on the last set of my walking lunges. Im going to have to get some foam rolling in.

I think I need to reconsider my training. My injury occurred while I was run down. Obviously I need to rest more and listen to my body. Easier said than done.

tweet

Tuesday, 8th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 60kg). (3 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: incline alternating dB bench press: (10 x 22.5kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 8 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 27.5kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•No Prowler today. Finished up with some band pull-a-parts.

notes:
Still trying to take things slowly. Have an appointment with the nurse tomorrow to look at my wound. Fingers crossed that once the bandage comes off it will almost be completely healed.

tweet

Good to see you back in the gym. Ease back into it and I am sure you will be right in no time.

1 Like

Thursday, 13th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

• Trap bar deadlifts : 5 sets of (3 x 80kg) (weight not including the bar)
  • Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 50kg) (each leg)
  • Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs, (6 x bird)
  • Finished off with some band-pull-aparts.

notes:
Starting to feel a little like my normal self now, after my prolonged unplanned interruption. I think next week I should be able to start pushing my “normal” numbers.

Have an appointment at the wound clinic to see the nurse later today. I think Im pretty close to been discharged and officially cleared to start my normal training.

tweet

Saturday, 13th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• walked o the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Bench press: 6 sets of (3 x 90kg), supersetted with 3 pull-ups x bird on a bar.
  • Supersetted 4 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 30kg), with overhead single -arm dB press (5 x 20 kg).
  • Finished off with some ab-wheel roll-outs, and then walked home.

notes:
Feeling somewhat normal again. Strength is coming back. Still cautious with my approach, hence no prowler yet.

tweet

1 Like

Sunday, 14th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 60kg), 12 push-ups with feet elevated b/w sets.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges (BW only), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
•farmer walks: 3 rounds of 3 laps of the prowler track holding 40kg dBs.
•finished off with supine “no money” band work.

notes:
Right quad/IT band cramped up on the last rep of the last set of the squats, hence only bodyweight lunges. This right quad/IT issue is becoming annoying, but to be honest Im just happy to be back at the gym.

After the gym I joined my BJJ buddies for a “busy bee” clean up of our dojo. We ripped up all of our mats, scrubbed them clean with, scrubbed the floors and rearranged things around. There had been another case of staph infection at the dojo last week. Another thing we are going to try to help with this recent staph outbreak is to increase the airflow in the dojo. Our room is enclosed and often gets steamy due to lack of fresh air flow.

tweet

Tuesday, 16th October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 60kg). (3 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 25kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 8 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 30kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•Finished off with some random speed ladder work and “no money” band work.

notes:
Good session. Dropped the alternating dB bench press to save on some time. Should be able to increase all weights next week. No prowler yet. Im thinking the prowler is something that I only need to do once a week. With my BJJ and boxing training I think the prowler taxes my system too much.

I may possibly attend BJJ tonight for the first time since my staph incident. Im kind if nervous about it. I just cant stand the thought of going through this all over again…

tweet

2 Likes

Thursday, 18th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Trap bar deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 90kg) (weight not including the bar)
•Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 50kg) (each leg) (3 pull-ups b/w sets)
•Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs, (7 x bird)x 2 and (6 x bird) x 2
•Finished off with 3 rounds of shoulder shocker

notes:
Good session. Right quad felt ok with the lunges, although not sure if it would of lasted another set. Next week I should be able to increase on all exercises.

Had my first session back at BJJ on Tuesday night. Got my ass kicked and submitted a few time by some higher white belts. So humbling. Will probably take awhile to find my mojo again. At the moment we are looking at butterfly guard.

tweet

1 Like

Sunday, 21st October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• Bench press: 6 working sets of (3x 100kg) x 3 and (3 x 90kg) x 3, supersetted with 3 pull-ups.
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 30kg), with overhead single -arm dB press (5 x 22.5 kg).
  • 4 rounds withe the prowler: 2 with 80kg on the prowlers, and then 2 with 60kg (ups and back)
  • Finished off with some ab-wheel roll-outs and band-pull-aparts.

notes:
Bench was not as explosive as I would like it to be, hence I backed off for the last 3 sets. Everything else was good. I think Ive almost got my strength level up to the level I was at before my staph infection. Hopefully make some new gains over the next few weeks.

In other news… I went to the boxing gym yesterday morning expecting to do some sparring, but to my surprise it was more of a bodyweight and shadow boxing session. Some of the other guys stayed around later for some sparring but that was only for people who are training for an upcoming fight. Im not really enjoying boxing as much as I thought I would, but I think I would like to continue get in 1-2 sessions a week so I have somewhat of a “stand-up” game.

I may possibly have BJJ this afternoon depending if the black belt is over a recent injury. Im considering entering a tournament at the end of November. I’ve never competed in BJJ and I think it will be a good experience and make me improve my game.

tweet

Tuesday, 23rd October 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 60kg) x 2, (3 x 70kg) x 2. (4 reps of chin-ups b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB bench press: (10 x 27.5kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 8 kg)(each leg)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 32.5kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
•Finished off with some random speed ladder work and “no money” band work.

notes:
Good session. Should be able to increase all weights next week.

Missed a weight session last week. I got up one morning and didn’t feel like the gym. Still considering entering my BJJ tournament. I will have to decide soon. If I do enter I may have to reduce my gym session to 3 times a week.

My folks are coming up to visit this week. So I might have to miss a session or two.

tweet