The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Wednesday, 13th June 2018

PM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets with 25 kg (18,13 & 11, and then an extra 8 to make the total 50)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 x (5 x 90 kg). And one set of 2 x (10 x 80kg), with a mini-brake in between “mini-sets”
• Supersetted 5 sets: pull-ups (6 reps) with dips (8 reps). Finished off shoulder shocker.

notes:
Well thats most likely my last gym session for 2 weeks. Im off to Taipei for a vacation. My hotel has a gym, but Im not sure if I will use it. If I do, it will be just a bunch of higher rep superset stuff to get the “blood moving”.

Incline bench was good, and because it was my last session I did an extra set to make it to 50 reps.
Squats felt good today. Im a little disappointed that I have not made much progress in terms of weight for squats, but considering Im someone who used to fall over in pain whenever I even thought of squats, Im happy with what I have achieved. My legs feel stronger and my technique I believe has improved.

BJJ has been really good lately. Im almost a little disappointed that my vacation is starting tomorrow. Although I have learnt that sometimes its best to take a break when you feel are on top of things, as thats when I sometimes push the limits and injure something.

When I come back Ill more than likely start a new program. Not sure what, so Im open for suggestions. Ill do my bets to check in over the next 2 weeks.

Now… Im off to watch the world cup, eat fried chicken and drink bubble tea. Take care bird watchers!!

tweet

2 Likes

Im baaaaack!!

My vacation was great. Heaps of bubble tea, dumplings, Taiwanese pancakes and noodles!
Spent heaps of time walking around and exploring so I don’t think I have put on any weight. I expect it will take a few days for me to get back into my routine, and Im still having random late nights due to the World Cup.

Im going to do the same program as from where I left off from just for a 2-3 weeks as I get back into my usual life, and then I will start a new program.

This Monday I did “Workout A”

• Usual warm-up
  • Bench press: 3 sets of (8 x 80kg).
  • Squats: Ramped up to 3 sets of (5 x 80kg), and 1 set of 20 x 60kg.
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: chest supported row (10 x 30kg) and incline dB curls (10 x 12.5kg)
  • Cooled down with some face-pulls.

notes: Lost heaps of strength and I was sweating like a mofo. I expect it will take a week or two before I get some strength back. Hoping that I get close to similar strength levels to what I was before the vacation.

As for my new program, Im tossing up between a modified version of westside for skinny bastards or a 5/3/1 full body variation. Im also looking to get more conditioning in. If anybody reading this has any other recommendation, please do tell.

tweet

4 Likes

Evening Bird Watchers!

Sorry I haven’t been posting lately. Since returning back from my holiday I have been busy with catching up with work, and of course watching the world cup. Im also in the process of moving house, so that is taking up heaps of time.

I have been training when I can with my current program and have been attending BJJ training twice a week, and boxing twice weekly as well.

Im in the process of looking for a new program. Possibly a 2 x a week program, so I can concentrate a bit more on my martial arts and maybe even get some extra conditioning in.

tweet

3 Likes

Sorry, been missing in action.

Anyway, I have joined a new gym and started a new program: “Preseason training for the regular guy”.

More details later.

Thursday, 30th August 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

• Walked to my new gym.
  • Usual warm-up.
  • Trap bar deadlift: 6 sets of 3 x 60kg.
  • Barbell reverse lunges: 2 sets of 8 x 40kg (Had to abandon the 3rd set, see below)
  • Supersetted: 3 sets of 8 x pallof press with orange band, and 8 reps of GHRs.
  • Finished off with 3 sets of Prowler pushes with 80kg.

notes:
Will need to research more about trap bar deadlift form.
In the third set of my reverse barbell I got a intense cramping like pain in my right side quad/IT band. Im going to have to be humble and drop the weight next week. I haven’t done many of these movements for sometime now.
Great to now have access to a GHR machine, although I will need to research to make sure Im using correct form. Prowler was fun.

tweet

3 Likes

Saturday, 1st September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• Walked to the gym
  • Usual warm-up
  • Bench press: 5 sets of 3 x 90kg (supersetted with 3 reps of ring pull-ups)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of 1-hand dB overhead presses (8 x 20kg), with TRX rows (12 reps).
  • 3 rounds of shoulder shocker
  • Finished off with 3 sets of 8 reps of ab wheel roll outs.

notes:
Might have to consider running to the gym as part of my warm-up. Its only about 1km away.
New bench press equipment is awesome. Nice sturdy bench, and a face saver. 90 kgs went up easy.
New gym does not have a seated row, so I had to sub in TRX rows.

I was still getting used to my new surroundings and spent a lot of time today tyring to get used to the new equipment etc. I was tempted to finish up with a few rounds of the prowler but decided not to.

tweet

1 Like

Sunday, 2nd September 2018.

TRAINING

Day Four

• walked to the gym
  • usual warm-up
  • Squats: 4 sets of 6 x 80kg (superseded with 12 push-ups with feet elevated)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: walking dB lunges 10 steps each side holding 12.5kg dBs, with single hand band rows (10 x purple band)
  • Farmer walks: 3 sets of 3 laps of the “green prowler track”(about 35 meters in total) holding 40kg dBs. Failed on the last lap of the last set.
  • Cooled down with some supine no money using the pink band.
  • walked home

notes:
New gym is starting to feel more comfortable. I still went a little lighter than normal today as I get used to the new equipment and surroundings.
Should be able to increase all weights next week. Might have to look at fitting in some heavier rows into he program, as I don’t think the banded rows are enough.

Later today I will be going to my weekend BJJ session.

tweet

Tuesday, 4th September 2-18.

TRAINING

Day One

• walked to the gym & the usual warm-up
  • Front squats: 3 sets of (3 x 60kg), 3 sets of (3 x 70kg)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of : alternating incline dB bench (10 x 22.5kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 12kg)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 27.5kg), with hammer curls (10 x 12.5kg)
  • Finished off with 3 laps (up and down) of the prowler with 80kg.
  • walked home

notes:
Solid session.

Should be able to increase all weights next week. May need a bit more of a warm-up with the front squats. Didn’t plan to finish with the prowler, but the prowler track was free and I felt like I needed a finisher.

BJJ later this afternoon. At the moment we are working on open guard. I’m liking it. My extra long legs are finally useful for something.

tweet

1 Like

Thursday, 6th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

• walk to the gym and the usual warm-up
  • trap bar deadlifts: 5 sets of 3 x 80kg (weight not including the bar)
  • reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of 8 x 80kg (weight including the bar)
  • superset 3 sets of : GHRs (8 x bird), and palloff presses (8 x orange band)
  • finished off with 3 rounds of shoulder shocker’
  • walked home

notes:
Trap bar is feeling a little better. Watched a few videos this morning regarding form. I need to be careful to lean too far forward, and concentrate keeping my chest up. Might keep the weight the same for next week.
Everything else was good. Got a awesome hamstring pump with the GHR.

Didn’t sleep the best last night. Might of been to the Mexican spice I added to my steak last night. BJJ later tonight… most probably working on takedowns which always makes me sore the next day from all of that mat crashing.

tweet

2 Likes

Interesting you are trying trap bar deadlifts too. Only recently added them in, but I am enjoying alternating them with conventional deadlifts every week. I feel it is easier to brace and keep a more neutral position, so am more comfortable doing higher reps.

@Ironwarrior2: Hey IronBird, how are you mate?

The trap bar still feels a little foreign to me, although the last session was much better than the first. I really need to improve on my bracing which I have always struggled with. DO you try “hip hinge” the trap bar, or do you allow your legs to do the majority of the work? I suppose in an ideal world it will be a little bit of both. Any cue you use to help with the trap bar deadlift?

tweet

Saturday, 8th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Bench press: 5 sets of (3 x 95kg), with 3 pull-ups on the ring in b/w sets.
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: dB overhead press (4 x 20kg), with landmine T-bar rows (10 x 30kg).
  • Finished off with 3 rounds of some ab-wheel rollouts.
  • After the gym i stopped by the boxing gym for an hour of some drills and very light sparring.

notes:
Good session.
First time with the landmine T-bar rows. Really felt it in the lower back erectors, not in a bad way, but in a way where I think I will have to be careful with these.

tweet

2 Likes

Sunday, 9th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

• walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Back squats: only managed one set of (6 x 85kg). Had to abort on the second set as my right leg started to cramp up. (see below). Did my 4 sets of 12 x bodyweight feet elevated push-ups.
  • Supersetted: Bodyweight walking lunges x 10 (each leg), with single hand standing rows (10 x purple band).
  • Supersetted: 4 rounds of farmer walks (40kg dBs for 3 laps), with 6 reps of GHRs.
  • Finished off with some supine “no money” with the pink band.

notes:
Not sure whats happening with my right quad/IT band. The pain feels more like cramping than a strain. A quick look back through my notes and it looks I like I had the same issue while doing lunges with my right leg as well a few weeks back.

Im not sure what the issue is. I know I’m right leg and quad dominant, and maybe its doing too much of the work? Or maybe my glutes aren’t working hard enough? Or maybe I just need a good foam roll using my PVC pipe? Anyway Im not too worried as there is no pain with normal movement/use.

Later today I have a BJJ class. Our Sunday sessions are usually focused on self defence and we often use gloves and allow some punching while rolling to simulate a “real world” fight.

And in other new, the new Spider-Man game on PS4 is awesome!

tweet

I like the neutral grip, it helps stop me losing brace and leaning forward via rounding my back. The legs are definitely involved more in Trap Bar Deadlift, so it feels a little bit of a Deadlift/Squat mix. The cues I do are the same, get the bar position correct, grip the bar getting into position, then breathe in and brace - force more breath in, to create that strong brace position then lift. Very little faff once I am in that position.

In different news, how you finding the new Spiderman? It looked amazing, but I heard some of the combat is clunky and the camera angle isn’t great? I was thinking of waiting a month or two for more dlc to hopefully iron these issues out.

@Ironwarrior25: Thanks for the tips. I really need to work on my bracing.

The new Spider-man game is great. I’m playing on the normal difficulty level and I’m having difficulties with getting good at the combat I suppose my old fingers aren’t as sharp as some of the new generation of gamers. I also don’t like to play for more than 30 minutes as I find sitting still for that amount of time difficult. But besides that I love it, I would definitely recommend.

tweet

Tuesday, 11th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

• Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
  • Front squat: 6 sets of (3 x 80kg)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: incline alternating dB bench press: (10 x 25kg), with single leg deadlifts (5 x 12 kg)(each leg)
  • Supersetted 3 sets of: dB rows (8 x 27.5kg), with dB hammer curls (10 x 15 kg).
  • 3 round of the Prowler (up and back) with 80kg.
  • Walked home

notes:
Epic workout. I feel beat.
80kg was heavy for the front squats, and I think I will stick to that weight until it feels more comfortable. With everything else I should be able to increase for next week. Possibly an extra rep with the prowler.

I had the morning off and I got an hour of Spider-man in. Sitting down for so long has made me feel stiff. Might be due for a deep tissue massage. Later tonight I have BJJ. Lately we have been working on takedowns, although Im not sure what we will be doing tonight. I always feel a little bit more beat up when doing takedowns due to all of the extra crashing.

tweet

1 Like

Will have to look into it. I usually wait a few months for any patches to come out and let the price drop a bit.

Also keen on Last of Us 2 when that is out.

1 Like

Thursday, 13th September 2018.

TRAINING

PM

Day Two

• skated to the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Trap bar deadlifts : 5 sets of (3 x 90kg) (weight not including the bar)
  • Reverse barbell lunges: 3 sets of (8 x 60kg) (each leg)
  • Superset 4 sets of : pallof presses (8 x orange band), GHRs, (8 x bird)
  • Finished off with 3 rounds of shoulder shocker.
  • Skated home and then went straight to BJJ, where we practiced a takedown (arm-drag into step inside leg), and then we practices some side-control movements.

notes:
Trap bar deadlifts are feeling better. I still got some improvement to work on, but today I concentrated on bracing before grabbing the handles and then trying to brace more as I have grabbed the handles. Seemed to help. Need to remember to keep my “chest up” as well.
Got a great hamstring pump with the GHRs. I think that this may be my favourite al time gym movement. Next week I should be able to increase the weight/intensity for all movements.

I had a deep tissue massage in the morning which was great. My neck sometimes gets a little stiff and sore from all of my computer work at work.

tweet

2 Likes

15th September 2018.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

• walked o the gym and the usual warm-up.
  • Bench press: 5 sets of (3 x 100kg), supersetted with 3 pull-ups x bird on a bar.
  • Supersetted 4 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 40kg), with overhead single -arm dB press (4 x 22.5kg).
  • 3 rounds of prowler pushes: (up and down x 2, with 60kg).
  • Finished off with some ab-wheel roll-outs, and then walked home.

notes:
Bench press was strong, although could of been more explosive. I want to make 100kg my “standard”. For too long now, 90kg had been my “standard”. I need to reset this.
I had decreased the weight on the prowler and added some distance. Im liking it. Feels like I need some more pull-ups in this program. I will see where else I can these in.

No boxing or BJJ this weekend. coaches are off on a course, and my BJJ buddies are travelling down to the city for a seminar. I was keen to go, but was not prepared to travel in the car for a total of 8 hours for a 2 hour seminar.

tweet

1 Like

Glad to see you’re back logging birdie. How’s your back treating you?

@dchris: great to be back buddy! How are you doing?

Back is really good. I think all of that rolling at BJJ has made a difference. Sometimes if I sit for too long it gets a little cranky, but obviously sitting for long periods should be avoided anyway.

tweet

1 Like