T Nation

The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Sunday, 6th May 2018

AM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets wih 22.5 kg (20,15 & 12) (total of 47 reps).
• Back squat: ramped up to 2 x (5 x 80kg), 1 x (5 x 90kg), and then 20 reps with 70 kg.
• Pull-ups:7, 7, 7, 7 and 7. (total of: 35)
• Dips: 5 sets of 8 reps

notes:
Had a homemade pizza last night, so thats a lot more carbs than usual, and I think it had helped this morning in the gym.
dB bench was better, and only 3 reps short of my goal.
Happy with the squats. They were still hard, but I felt better while doing them.
Pull-ups have progressed once again.

No BJJ today, which is good as my toe has almost recovered to 99%. Once my toe feels good I want to go back to boxing which I will do 1-2 times per week.

tweet

That is intelligent thinking, potato and rice have build millions or billions (even more than that) of people. Can’t go wrong there.

Wednesday ,9th May 2018

AM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
• Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of 3 x (8 x 85kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (5 x 70kg), (5x 80kg), (5 x 90kg) and one set of (20 x 75kg).
• Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (12 x 30kg), and dB incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg)

notes:
Good session!
Happy with the bench, as long as I keep my eating up I should be able to up the weight.
Squats were good. I think these are doing wonders for my ankle mobility. Those 20 reppers will never be easy, but Im glad I have added some weight to it.
Chest supported rows felt strong, time to up the weight with these as well.

Meanwhile at BJJ, we are back in gi. First session we went through the basic sweeps and submissions from guard. I much prefer BJJ in gi. We have a bunch of new enthusiastic white belts in the dojo who were just too sporadic to control when in no-gi. At least with gi, I can get some grips and apply some pressure to stop them flapping around like dying fish.

tweet

Friday, 11th May 2018

AM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets wih 22.5 kg (20,15 & 15) (total of 50 reps!).
• Back squat: ramped up to 2 x (5 x 80kg), 1 x (5 x 90kg), and then 20 reps with 75 kg.
• Supersetted 4 sets: 7 x pull-ups, 8 x dips.
• Finish off with face-pulls

notes:
Happy with this mornings session. Had some air fried potato last night with my usual Thursday night dinner of grilled lamb cutlets. I think the extra carbs are helping me in the weight room, although I didn’t notice any extra “pump”.
Finally hit the 50 reps with the dB bench. Time to increase the weight.
Squats were good. Possibly time to consider increasing the weight a touch.
Short of time, so I supersetted the pull-ups and dips.

BJJ has been good. First week back in the gi. We are still just practicing fundamental movements.

tweet

Sunday ,13th May 2018

AM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
• Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of (8 x 90kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (3x 90kg) and one set of (20 x 75kg).
• Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (10 x 35kg), and dB incline hammer curls (8 x 15kg)

notes:
Bench was awesome. Feeling strong!
Squats were good. Those 20 rappers are hard, but I really want to get to 80kg. Does not sound like much, but with my 6 foot femurs, that will be some accomplishment.

Im really enjoying this program, but it was only going to be short stint. Its time to look into a new program. Im thinking either a version of 531 or maybe even going back to the trusty old WS4SB. I have a 10 day holiday scheduled for the middle of June, so maybe I can keep going with this current program until then?

I have BJJ/self defence training this evening. Looking forward to that. My toe is now 98% healed and I am planning to get back into some boxing… just need to decide how and where I am going to fit it in.

tweet

I was a big fan of 531 for athletes. It is never a bad choice.

Never really done westside. Does WS4SB differ much from Conjugate?

@Ironwarrior25 : Hey buddy, Ill have a look at “531 for athletes” . The only issue I have with 531 is that the rep scheme and the main lift is not very customable/flexible. For example, with such a strict program if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed and don’t feel like doing reps of 5, or for some reason I prefer t do front squats instead of back squats for whatever reason, then the whole program is compromised.

While programs such as WS4SB are muchmore customable/flexible. If that makes sense.

Im not familiar with Conjugate, but I will check it out.

tweet

Wednesday, 16th May 2018

PM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets with 25 kg (15,10 & 10) (total of 35 reps).
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of 5 x 90 kg, and then 20 reps with 75 kg.
• Supersetted 4 sets: 2 x (8 pull-ups, 8 dips), 2 x (7 x pull-ups, 8 x dips)
• Finish off with “shoulder shocker”

notes:
Increased the weight with the dB bench. Im going to have to make some serious gains if I am ever going to get close to hitting 50 reps.
Squats were solid, although at the moment I cant see myself increasing the weight with the 20 reppers.
Bodyweight pull-ups have never felt so strong.

Had my first session at boxing on Thursday morning. I took it easy, and iced my big toe afterwards, but so far so good. Im planning to get 1-2 sessions a week of boxing to compliment my BJJ. The way I see it, is that there is no point been a competent grappler without knowing how to throw/duck a decent punch.

tweet

Friday,18th May 2018

AM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
• Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of (5 x 90kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (5x 90kg) and one set of (20 x 70kg).
• Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (10 x 35kg), and dB incline hammer curls (10 x 12.5kg)

notes:
Last few reps on the bench press were grinders.
Squats felt ok, but not as strong as usual, so I dropped the weight for the 20 reppers to 70kg.

BJJ Thursday night was good. Drilled some movements from side control to mount, and looked at the intrinsics of the Ezekiel choke and the arm bar. I took it easy with the rolling at the end, as I was a little tired from the morning boxing session

tweet

Thats a fair point. 531 is effective but its quite rigid and very focused on those core lifts.

Have a look at Conjugate theres some good stuff out there and it varies heavy days with dynamic days (using bands etc), so has more flexibility. If I ever quit rowing and give strength sports a try, I may give it a go. I also think on Alpha’s log he posted a video a while back on it.

Sunday, 20th May 2018

PM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets with 25 kg (17,12 & 11) (total of 40 reps).
• Back squat: ramped up to 1 x (5 x 90kg), 2 x (3x 100kg) and then 20 reps with 75 kg.
• Supersetted 4 sets: 3 x (8 pull-ups, 8 dips),1 x (6 x pull-ups, 8 x dips)

notes:
Happy with the progress with the incline bench.
First time I have squatted 100 kg for years. I probably don’t want to push it much further, but they felt good. I think that had impacted my ability on the 20 repper, but Im ok with that.

Had an hour boxing session on Saturday morning. Worked on some footwork, did some pad work and hit the bags a bit. Have been slowly introducing more carbs into my diet. Trying to have carbs in my meal before training.

Im still on the look out for a new program. Nothing has really jumped out at me yet. Im open to suggestions. I prefer to do gym work 2-3 times a week, I prefer full body programs, and I prefer an emphasis on strength and performance.

tweet

Incline Press is coming along nicely! This program was the 1st time I used the 350 method and I quite liked it.

And you hit it for a triple! Good work. Do you remember what your max squat was ‘back in the day?’

@Irishman92: At first I was a little sceptical of the 350 method, but Im liking it and making some good gains.

I remember I once had squatted 160 kg for a double about 10 years ago. And that was probably more of a low bar squat, while now I kind of do a hybrid between a low and high bar squat. My lower back is only in danger when I start to lean forward too much.

tweet

Wednesday, 23rd May 2018

PM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
• Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of (8 x 90kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (3x 100kg) and one set of (20 x 75kg).
• Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (12,10,10 x 35kg), and dB incline hammer curls (12,10,10 x 12.5kg). Cooled down with 3 rounds of shoulder shocker.

notes:
Bench was heavy. Might have to stick to this weight for another 1-2 sessions.
Squats were good. Didn’t feel particular tight. I think its time I consider trying 80kg for the 20 rep set.

BJJ Tuesday night we drilled technical mount, half nelson choke and rolling to the back. Learnt a few cool new tricks while grappling as well… holding up the arm closest to the ground via the tricep while on top of my opponent makes it almost impossible to hip escape out. Hoping to go to a boxing session tomorrow morning.

tweet

Friday, 25th May 2018

AM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets with 25 kg (15,14 & 11) (total of 40 reps).
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 x (3 x 90kg) and then 20 reps with 70 kg.
• Supersetted 4 sets: 4 x (6 pull-ups, 8 dips).

notes:
Got a good pump with the incline press.
Woke up a little late this morning, so I didn’t want to push things with the squats and pull-ups/dips, plus I was short on time. So I had reduced the intensity a little.

We have some guests coming up from the city to visit us this weekend. Nutrition may be compromised a bit. Hopefully I get to the gym for my usual Sunday morning session. No BJJ or boxing this weekend.

tweet