The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

@Destrength: I usually play around with handstand in my warm-up once a week.

At 6’2, mostly legs, a lot of those bodyweight movements appear to be impossible, but I agree that they are cool things to be able to do.

tweet

I must secretly be obsessed with one arm pullups- i keep dreaming about doing one arm pullups in various scenarios.

In a few of the dreams i was doing one arm pullups to pick up chicks at the beach

2 Likes

why are you bothering with the back squats at all? There are better choices for your situation, as I’m sure you know.

@Yogi1: Oh dear. When I fist decided on this program, my first thought was “Yogi1 is not going to be happy with me”.

For those that don’t know, I have had some serious low back issues in the past, mostly caused by deadlifting and occasionally back squatting. There have been a few times when I could not move from the floor for days on end due to the pain.

I haven’t had a “blow out” for two and half years, and just recently I have been experimenting with back squats after a successful period of front squatting. I know that I will never be able to squat 200kgs, but Im kind of hoping I can slowly get to the point where I can at least squat my bodyweight for about 5 or so reps.

Yogi1: I am going to be extra careful, and I am only going to do this program for 4-5 weeks. Any signs if pain and I promise I will abort. Why am I doing this? I don’t know. Maybe I am just trying to prove something to myself. What that is, I can’t explain with words. I hope you understand.

tweet

2 Likes

Sunday, 22nd April 2018

AM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
  • dB incline press: with 22.5 kg dBs: 3 sets of 18, 13, 10. (total of 41 reps)
  • Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of 3 x 80kg, and then 20 reps with 60 kg.(slightly lower box)
  • Pull-ups: 7, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5. (total of: 46)
  • Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps
  • Finished off with some rear delt raises: 3 sets of 12 x 6kg

notes:
Will keep to 22.5 kg for the incline bench until I hit 50 reps.
Lowered the box by about 2 cm for the squats. I felt a little more hammy involvement. Back feels good, although my bracing probably could be better.
No BJJ today, which is good as I want to give my big toe some more rest to recover.

tweet

3 Likes

haha, you’re a smart guy, Birdy; I know you know what you’re doing.

I think it makes a lot of sense to get back to where you can squat pain-free, as obviously that’ll show that something’s gotten better, but you do probably want to use the more low back-friendly options when you want to push the boat out in terms of weight.

2 Likes

Good to see you back man. Shame about the back, but looks like you have things in order.

1 Like

Wednesday, 25th April 2018

AM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
  • Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of (8 x 85kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
  • Back squat: ramped up to 1 set of (3 x 80kg), 2 set of (3 x 85kg), and one set of (20 x 70kg).
  • Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (12 x 30kg), and dB incline hammer curls (10 x 12.5kg)
  • Cooled down by hanging from the pull-up bar.

notes:
Happy with the bench press, the last rep of the last set was a semi-grinder.
Back squatting was good. That extra 10 kgs on the 20 ripper made a difference. I will stick to this weight for awhile.
Nice pump from the superset.

Back is still feeling healthy, and my body is feeling relatively fresh, which Im guessing maybe be due to the lowish volume of this program, although I expect the 20 rep squats to take more from me as the weight goes up.

BJJ has been going well. Have been working on leg locks for the past week which I have enjoyed. In other news one of the blue belts has been asked to leave the club and not return due to his rough conduct. That was a bit of a shock to us all.

tweet

It did for me.

Wow you don’t hear that happening often. Do you know what he was doing? What is your opinion on this?

Agree with irish. Must’ve been pretty serious to get kicked out.

@Irishman92 @duketheslaya

He was always a little rough. I never liked to drill movements that involved arm-bars with him as he always cranked it a little too hard even after been told numerous times “don’t put it on, we are just drilling the move etc etc”. And when rolling with him, I was always extra cautious with his erratic movements and lack of understanding of such things.

He is a bigger guy and weighs most than most of us and stronger than most.

Its a tough one, as I don’t think he was intentionally hurting people, he just wasn’t very smart and didn’t understand/realise the pain he was causing.

tweet

1 Like

Damn… Guess it’s for the best.

1 Like

Friday, 27th April 2018

AM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 2 sets wih 22.5 kg (18, 12), 1 set with 20kg x 13 (total of 43 reps)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of 3 x 90kg, and then 15 reps with 70 kg.
• Pull-ups: 6, 6, 6, 6 and 5. (total of: 29)
• Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps

notes:
Not the best session today… woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Felt like I was lacking energy with the incline bench.
I was happy with the 3 sets of 90kg’s with the squats, but once again I was lacking energy and failed to get the 20 reps with the “20 repper”. Disappointing.
I didn’t want to push things too hard with the pull-ups and dips as I was a little pissed off at this moment.

Last night at BJJ I also felt that I was lacking energy and concentration. I think it might be time to change my eating plan. Im thinking of introducing more carbs to the meal before my gym session. That means Im going to have to change my usual eating routine, which will take some adjusting as I am a creature of habit.

Toe update: my big toe is still a little sore. Its not getting worse, although its not really getting any better either. Its starting to piss me off. If it s not better in another week or so Im going to have to go to the Doc’s and maybe get some X-rays.

tweet

3 Likes

Oof, I’m a bit surprised as well you’re adding squats in.

Have you tried goblet squats? I’ve been doing them recently with a 100lb db with no back issues. High rep seems to be working well for me.

1 Like

1+ing yogi. Getting to the point you can back squat pain free safely will probably help (muscle imbalances, tightness, strength in certain areas), but you know when to pick and choose your battles at your age (not that you are old, you are just too old to want bull crap injuries) and training history.

If you wanted to push a squat movement I’d recommend something like goblet squats or belt squats, something that takes a lot of the spinal load out while hitting your legs hard.

@Dr_Pangloss @Destrength

Im surprised I have added squatting back in as well!

During the period since when my last training log ended, I have been doing a bunch of front squatting and goblet squatting, which eventually led to me trying some light back squats. So far it has been all pain free.

Like I said Im not looking to squat 200kgs plus, but I jus want to be able to squat my bodyweight for some decent reps. I hope you guys don’t jinx me and make a fool out of me but so far I feel like Im doing things well within the “safe zone”.

tweet

4 Likes

Hey Bird
You know what you’re doing, so building the squat slowly to bodyweight and keeping it there, working on technique and adding reps seems like a pretty good idea.
Downside could be that when you get to BW you push further.

2 Likes

Sunday, 29th April 2018

AM

Workout A

• Usual warm-up
  • Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of (8 x 85kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
  • Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (3 x 90kg), and one set of (20 x 70kg).
  • Supersetted 3 sets of; chest supported row (12 x 30kg), and dB incline hammer curls (10 x 12.5kg)
  • Cooled down by hanging from the pull-up bar.

notes:
Happy with the bench press. Might be time t attempt 90kg?
Squatting was ok. 90kg did feel heavy, and the last rep of the last set was sloppy, but that was due to more of a lack of concentration than anything else. I managed to get the 20 reps out of the 70kg, which was tough. Im glad I am doing this program as it shouldn’t be as tough as it is. Its purely a lack of strength.
Nice pump from the superset, but still no need to increase the weights yet.

tweet

3 Likes

Wednesday, 2nd May 2018

PM

Workout B

• Usual warm-up.
• dB incline press: 3 sets wih 22.5 kg 20,13 & 12) (total of 45 reps).
• Back squat: ramped up to (5 x 70kg), (5 x 80kg), and then 20 reps with 70 kg.
• Pull-ups:7, 7, 7, 7 and 5. (total of: 32)
• Dips: 5 sets of 8 reps

notes:
Improvement with the incline bench, but still short of the 50 reps.
Happy with the squats, although the 20 repper was still a struggle.
Noticed that the pull-ups are getting easier.

Feeling that I have still some decent progression left in me on this program, and will probably run it for another 2-3 weeks as planned.

tweet

4 Likes

Friday,5th May 2018

AM

Workout A
• Usual warm-up
• Bench press: ramped up to 3 working sets of 1 x (6 x 85kg), 2 x (8 x 80kg). (band-pull-aparts in b/w sets)
• Back squat: ramped up to 3 sets of (5 x 80kg), and one set of (20 x 70kg).

notes:
Sleep could of been better, but I got up motivated to have a decent session today.
Unfortunately I lacked energy, struggled with the bench and had to drop the weight.
Squatting was a struggle as well. So I didn’t increase the weight.

Moral of the story is that I have to stop being such a carbo-phobe and have some carbs the night before my weight sessions. Last night, after BJJ, for dinner I had grilled lamb chops, and grilled asparagus, mushrooms and capsicums, and a tablespoon of peanut butter for dessert. I think I need to drop the peanut butter and add in some potato or rice. No point hitting the gym if I am not progressing!

tweet

3 Likes