@bigpappafrance:
Do you use one yourself?
Does it also help clean up your form?

tweet

Sunday, 12th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up, including a upper back warm up from Alan Thralls youtube channel (really useful)
•Low bar squats: 4 sets of 10 x bar, 4 sets of 10 x 60kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 25kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x purple).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 85kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with “skin the cat practice”

notes:
Going to work on my low bar squat. Need to work on my hip flexibility. Alan Thrall has some really good videos on YouTube. Highly recommended.
Went to BJJ int he evening, although there wasn’t much BJJ done. On Sundays often we do “self defence” and “crazy monkey” skills which I think is important.

tweet

Tuesday, 14th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up, and Alan Thralls front squat warm-up
•Front squats: 5 sets of (5 x 90kg), supersetted with 5 x jumping pull-ups
•4 supersets of dB incline press (10 x 30kg), dB bench inlcine rows (10 x 30kg)
•Finished off with 3 rounds of Farmer walks (up, down & up) holding 40kg dBs

notes:
Once again I watched some Alan Thrall youTube videos which helped me clean up my front squat form. Still have some work to do, but I believe my form is getting better. Good session.

Later in the evening was BJJ. Drilled some low passes: double under, and over-under pass in particular.

tweet

Thursday, 16th May 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included 3 x broad jumps.
•Trap bar deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 150kg) (from now on I am including the 20kg bar)
•Superset 4 sets: Bulgarian split squats; 10 reps each leg holding 2 x 15 kg dBs, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows (pausing at the top for 1 second).
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 10 x orange band, with GHRs: 10 x bird holding a 10kg plate to my chest)
•Finished off with some T-spine stretching.

notes:
Good session. Really concentrated on my trap bar deadlift form. Screwed my feet into the ground, and made my stance maybe a few millimetres narrower. Weight went up pretty easily. Next week I would like to attempt 160. I think a 200 kg trap bar deadlift for 3 reps is my intermediate goal.

As always must remember: screw feet in, shoulders back into my back pockets, squeeze a lemon between my armpits, massive belly breath filling the belly and lower back, tension in the hammies, chest up and proud, “white knuckle grip”, middle finger lining up with bar, and pulling up with straight arms with tension before the lift.

BJJ most likely later tonight. I have been asked to come early to help with the beginners class.

tweet

Saturday, 18th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Bench press: 5 sets of (5 x 90kg).
•Ring pull-ups: 5 sets of 5 x BW, 3 sets of 3 x 10kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 50kg), with 20 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and “skin the cat” practice.
•Finished off with some rear debt raises.

notes:
Trying to fix up my form via watching Alan Thrall’s youtube videos. Still needs some work.

tweet

Sunday, 19h May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up, including a upper back warm up from Alan Thralls youtube channel (really useful)
•Low bar squats: 5 sets of 5 x 80kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (8 steps each leg holding 27.5kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x purple).
• 5 x prowler pushes with 85kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with some foam rolling of my upper back.

notes:
Happy with todays effort. Low bar squat needs some work obviously but I think Im headed in the right direction. Watching Alan Thrall youtube videos before lifting is a must. No BJJ today, I might go for short bike ride later on in the evening.

tweet

Tuesday, 21st May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up, and Alan Thralls front squat warm-up
•Front squats: 6 sets of (3 x 100kg), supersetted with 5 x jumping pull-ups
•3 supersets of dB incline press (10 x 32.5kg), dB bench inlcine rows (10 x 32.5kg)
•Finished off with 4 rounds of uneven Farmer walks (up & down) holding 40kg dBs

notes:
Squats were heavy, form probably wasn’t the best. Had difficulties bracing in the front squat position, will have to research that. I think I will stick to 100 kg for awhile until my form cleans up with this weight before going heavier. 32.5kg was probably too heavy for the incline bench rows.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

How is the wrist mobility on front squats??

@bigpappafrance:
I think my wrist mobility is fine. Alan Thrall really helped me with his explanation of using the upper back extension to help with from squat bar position. I just find it hard to brace while Im working hard to keep my upper back extended (I hope that makes sense).

Once my Spider-man masks arrives in the mail, I will organise some videos.

tweet

Thursday, 23rd May 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included 3 x broad jumps.
•Trap bar deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 160kg) ( including the 20kg bar)
•Superset 4 sets: Bulgarian split squats; 10 reps each leg holding 2 x 15 kg dBs, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows (pausing at the top for 1 second).
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 10 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird holding a 10kg plate to my chest)

notes:
160kg was heavy. I am wondering if my back was as flat as it should be. Will need to get some videos up so you guys can pick at my form. Not sure what I will aim for next week. Maybe work up to some singles at 170kg?
Got a good pump from the bulgarian split squats and rows.

As always must remember: screw feet in, shoulders back into my back pockets, squeeze a lemon between my armpits, massive belly breath filling the belly and lower back, tension in the hammies, chest up and proud, “white knuckle grip”, middle finger lining up with bar, and pulling up with straight arms with tension before the lift. Stance a little narrower and feet almost straight ahead.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Saturday, 25th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 5 sets of (5 x 90kg).
•Bar pull-ups: 5 sets of 5 x BW, 3 sets of 3 x 10kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 45kg), with 20 x feet elevated push-ups.
•4 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 17.5kg), and “skin the cat” practice.
•Finished off with some “shoulder shocker”.

notes:
Still trying to clean up my form. Slight niggle in my left shoulder, so I didn’t increase the weight.

tweet

Sunday, 26th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•skated to the gym and the usual warm-up, including a upper back warm up from Alan Thralls youtube channel (really useful)
•Low bar squats: 6 sets of 3 x 90kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 27.5kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 85kg, 1’10 rest.

notes:
Good session. Obviously still early days with low bar squat. Wondering if I am not leaning forward enough? Need to break at my hips before the knees, although its a fine line between a perfect squat and good-morning the bar up. Overall Im feeling good, and Im thinking maybe its time for a mini-deload. Past experience has shown me that I inure myself when feeling my strongest!

I have finally ordered my mask and now looking at video camera options, so I will soon have some videos up so you guys can pick on my form.

BJJ/self defence later today.

tweet

Tuesday, 28th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Skated to the gym and usual warm-up, and Alan Thralls front squat warm-up
•Front squats: 5 sets of (4 x 100kg), supersetted with 5 x jumping pull-ups
•3 supersets of dB incline press (10 x 32.5kg), dB bench inlcine rows (12 x 25kg)
•No Farmer walks today. Instead finished off with some rear delt raises and “skin the cat” practice

notes:
Not he best sleep last night, not sure why, probably need to clean up my sleep hygiene. Front squats were heavy and I’m still finding it difficult to get a proper brace while in the front squat position. Was not feeling up to Farmer walks, probably due my poor sleep.

While training I listened to a podcast with NFL PT Jamal Liggin. Was interesting to hear his thoughts on how he trains athletes. Had a heavy focus on single leg work, sleds, beach running, and proper deceleration. Got me thinking I would like to make my training a little more athlete like. Watch this space.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Thursday, 30th May 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•skated to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included 3 x broad jumps.
•Trap bar deadlifts: 3 sets of (3 x 150kg), 3 (3 x160kg) ( including the 20kg bar)
• Short on time, so I finished off with 1 set of GHRs (15 x bird), and 1 set of pallof press (15 x orange band).

notes:
I got a little excited and I attempted 170kg after my warm-up. Didn’t get it off the ground, which I think was part mental, and partly because of an insufficient warm-up. Need to work on my bracing. I think I’m losing tension as I set myself down to grip the bar.

As always must remember: screw feet in, shoulders back into my back pockets, squeeze a lemon between my armpits, massive belly breath filling the belly and lower back, tension in the hammies, chest up and proud, “white knuckle grip”, middle finger lining up with bar, and pulling up with straight arms with tension before the lift. Stance a little narrower and feet almost straight ahead.

BJJ later tonight. I’m helping with coaching the juniors, so it will be a long session. In other new last night at boxing I sparred for the first time in ages. Boxing is not my primary goal, but I think the occasional spar now and again will help me with my self defence goals.

tweet

Saturday, 1st June 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 6 sets of (3 x 100kg).
•Bar pull-ups: 6 sets of 5 x BW
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 50kg), with 20 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 17.5kg), and “skin the cat” practice.
•Finished off with some “shoulder shocker”.

tweet

Sunday, 2nd June 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•skated to the gym and the usual warm-up, including a upper back warm up from Alan Thralls youtube channel
•Low bar squats: 5 sets of 5 x 90kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (8 steps each leg holding 30kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 90kg, 1’10 rest.

notes:
Decent session. Squat form still needs some work, but heading in the right direction.

tweet

Tuesday, 4th June 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Skated to the gym and usual warm-up.
•Zercher squats: 5 sets of (5 x 90kg), supersetted with 10 seconds of Olympic rings straight arm holds.
•3 supersets of dB incline press (10 x 32.5kg), dB bench inlcine rows (12 x 25kg)
• Farmer walks: 3 sets holding 40kg dBs (up, down and up). Finished off with some eccentric one leg squats onto a box.

notes:
Zercher squats were good. Should be able to increase the weight to 90kg next week.

Looking to change my program a little. No sure what or how, but either modify things or just swap over to another program even for 4-6 weeks.

tweet

Thursday, 6th June2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•skated to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Sumo deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 150kg)
•Superset 4 sets: Box step-ups; 10 reps each leg holding 2 x 17.5 kg dBs, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows (pausing at the top for 1 second).
• Superset 4 sets of: pallof press 10 x orange band, with GHRs: 12 x bird.

notes:
Didn’t get the best sleep, and wasn’t really in the “zone” this morning. Sumo form wasn’t the best… wasn’t doing the extension part hard or strong enough… hence I need to remember to keep the core strong and get the glutes involved! I’m considering trying to find someone to have a look at my form and help clean things up.

BJJ later tonight, although if I feel tired I may give it a miss.

tweet

Saturday, 8th June 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press with the fat bar: 6 sets of (3 x 100kg).
•Olympic ring pull-ups: 5 sets of 5.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (12x40kg), with 20 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and “skin the cat” practice.
•Finished off with some rear debt raises.

tweet

Sunday, 9th June 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•skated to the gym and the usual warm-up, including a upper back warm up from Alan Thralls youtube channel
•Low bar squats: 6 sets of 3 x 100kg
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 27.5kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple).
• No prowler today as the track was occupied so I tired something I saw on twitter: 3 sets of landmine hack squats with 15 kg, 20 reps.

notes:
Wasn’t “feeling it” today, but happy to get the work done. Think its time I change up my programming as things are feeling stale. Either that or I need a holiday. Not sure if Ill do those landmine hack squats again.

tweet