The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Thursday, 11th April 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included broad jumps.
•Sumo deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 120kg)
•Superset 3 sets: Sprinter step-ups; 8 steps each leg holding 22.5 kg dB’s, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows.
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 12 x bird
• Finished off with some cartwheel and “skin the cat” practice.

notes:
Woke up feeling good. I thought I was going to break some records today, but unfortunately as I was warming up the sumos, I failed on a few attempts at 140 kg. I was hoping to attempt 150 today, but instead I had to back things off to 120 kg.

Not sure what happened but maybe last nights boxing session (pad work) had taken its toll. Maybe I just need to eat more. I suspect my form wasn’t as tight as it could’ve been either, and Im considering a belt that may help? Anyway Im not going to dwell on things.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

great two sessions, keep it going, how do you find sumo over conventional

1 Like

@bigpappafrance: sumo is great! Feels a lot more natural and more safe for my lower back. I have always ended up injuring myself with conventional. I just don’t have the proper body dimensions (long femurs) to do it safely.

tweet

Saturday, 13th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 5 sets of 5 x 90kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups and some “deFranco 1 leg mobility drill”
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 40kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and rear delt raises (15 x 7kg)
•Finished off with some “skin the cat practice”

notes:
Fairly standard Saturday morning session. Nothing to note.

tweet

Sunday, 14th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•SSB: 5 x 5 with 90kgs. (no pull-ups today, giving my elbows a rest)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 25kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x orange).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 90kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with some rear debt raises.

notes:
This session was a struggle, but was good. Squats were heavy and lunges was hard.

No BJJ this weekend.

tweet

WEEKLY RECAP

Total weight lifted (total weight lifted from my main working sets): 8,760kgs.

Martial arts: 2 BJJ sessions and 2 boxing session.

Diet: Standard. Cheat meal Saturday night was toasted cheese sandwich’s and protein ice-cream

Recovery & Sleep: Sleep hasn’t been the best. I have been waking up at 3am most mornings and it takes me 30 minutes or so to drift of back to sleep. Im trying to cut down my caffeine consumption to see if that helps.

General wellbeing mood: Standard.

notes:
As noted above, I think my sleep could be better. A few times this week in the gym I just wasn’t in the mood.

tweet

Tuesday, 16th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Zercher Squats: 5 sets of (5 x 80kg), supersetted with 5 x pull-ups on rings (no additional weight)
•3 supersets of db incline press (10 x 30kg), dB rows (8 x 35kg)
•Four rounds of uneven Farmer walks (up, down, up,) holding 37.5kg and 32.5kg dBs, with 1’00 break. Once again my grip was too fired to finish off with any cartwheels etc.

notes:
Happy with todays work. Felt strong. 80g is getting hard to hold in the zercher position, but I am keen to attempt 90kg for 3-4 reps next week.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Thursday, 18th April 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 140kg)
•Superset 3 sets: Sprinter step-ups; 8 steps each leg holding 20 kg dB’s, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows.
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 10 x bird plus 5kg.
• Finished off with some cartwheel and “skin the cat” practice.

notes:
Strong session. Still think my sumo deadlifting form could be cleaned up a little, however instead of watching instructional youTube videos before the gym I was occupied watching the intriguing Champions League fixtures.

140kg was heavy, but I think Im getting close to stepping up to 150ish.

BJJ later tonight, and then tomorrow I’m off to the city for a few days for Easter.

tweet

Friday, 19th April 2019.
—————
TRAINING
—————

AM

Day Three

•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 6 sets of 3 x 100kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups and some “deFranco 1 leg mobility drill”
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (12 x 40kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.

notes:
Got up early to get this session in before I fly down to the city for Easter. Was a little rushed. 100 kgs was heavy for the floor press and a little grinding. Will be back to training by Tuesday.

tweet

Hey bird watchers!

Apologies for my absence. To cut a long story short I had a few days off for Easter and then on my first session back I twinged something in my thoracic which forced me to have an additional few days off. Anyway… Im back and training has recommenced.

Saturday, 27th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 5 sets of 5 x 90 kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 45kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.

tweet

Sunday, 28th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•SSB: 4 sets of 6 reps of 90kgs. (4x pull-ups on the rings b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 25kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x purple).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 85kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with some rear delt raises, and “skin the cat” practice.

notes:
Happ to be back int he gym after a rough week with travelling and an a minor annoying injury. Diet is returning back to normal. No BJJ this evening

tweet

Tuesday, 30th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Cardio

• 40 minute bike ride. First time back on the bike for months. Usually I do a bunch of hill sprints when on the bike, but no hill sprints today as it has been some time between rides so I thought I better ease into it.

I will be trying to cardio/hill sprints 1-2 times per week (depending on martial art training). I haven’t done much cardio since I have taken up BJJ and boxing. I think some bike and running hill sprints will benefit me… cardio from BJJ/boxing is just not the same.

tweet

Thursday, 2nd May 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts: 3 x(3 x 140kg), 3 x (3 x 150kg)
•Supersetted 3 sets: BSS: 8 reps holding 2 x 15kg dBs, “skin the cat” skill work
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird plus 5kg.
• Finished off with some rear delt raises.

notes:
Sumo deadlift form was much better. Its amazing what watching a few videos can do. For some reason I woke up early this morning and only ended up with 5 hours sleep… maybe it was the bean soup I had for dinner. I might struggle tonight at BJJ.

In other news I am rethinking my martial arts training. Not really enjoying boxing on Wednesday night. As I am not part of the “fight team”, on Wednesday nights Im often lumped with the “fitness group” and end up spending a whole hour doing basic pad work and burpees. Not really what I am after. So Im thinking of only doing boxing on Monday nights and maybe go to a Muay Thai lesson on Friday night.

Also thinking about trying out an online coach for my strength work. Even if its just for 6-8 weeks.

tweet

2 Likes

Saturday, 4th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 5 sets of 5 x 90 kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 50kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.

notes:
Pretty standard Saturday morning session.

tweet

Sunday, 5th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•SSB: 6 sets of 3 reps of 100kgs. (5 x jumping pull-ups on the bar b/w sets)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 27.5kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x purple).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 90kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with some rear delt raises.

notes:
Good session. Little PBs everywhere. 100kg was heavy for the SSB.
BJJ later this afternoon.

tweet

Tuesday, 7th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Front squats: 5 sets of (5 x 80kg), supersetted with 5 x pull-ups on rings (no additional weight)
•4 supersets of dB incline press (12 x 30kg), dB rows (8 x 37.5kg)
•No Farmer walks today, instead I finished off with some rear delts and “skin the cat” practice

notes:
Good session. I never feel a pump or a burn while doing front squats, but always notice my legs are much bigger when I put my work pants on afterwards. I think I twinged a nerve again in my upper back while doing the last rep of the last set of rear delts. Tight upper back issues should be sorted by Thursday when I will go see my soft tissue practioner.

BJJ maybe later tonight if my back is ok.

tweet

Too bad they don’t have the “space” for, what should we be called, advanced hobbyists? Pad work and burpees alone sounds great for a certain type of student. Nothing but misery and boredom for others.

1 Like

@burien_top_team

Yes I agree. Im sure if I requested they might allow me to train with the “fight team”, but at the same time I don’t really want to impact the training of those who are actually preparing for a fight. Im also rethinking the idea of repeated blows to my head. I like my brain and my health.

I suppose my main aim with my striking training is to improve my footwork, improve my ability to strike and defend strikes to a level that is better than your average man on the street. I know that many people say that sparing is necessary for this, but I just want to do it in a way that imposes the least damage to myself. I suppose its all about balancing risk and reward.

tweet

1 Like

Saturday, 4th May 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Bench press: 6 sets of (3 x 100kg), supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 50kg), with 15 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and “skin the cat” practice.
•Finished off with 1 set of shoulder shocker.

notes:
Back to the bench press. Used a slightly wider grip than usual. (3-5 mm) wider each side, felt good. This session feels a little like “groundhog day” Might need to do something to mix it up a bit. Thinking about getting myself a slingshot to use with the bench.

tweet

You will like the slingshot and as bonus you can overload a bit

1 Like