T Nation

The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Thursday, 11th April 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included broad jumps.
•Sumo deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 120kg)
•Superset 3 sets: Sprinter step-ups; 8 steps each leg holding 22.5 kg dB’s, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows.
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 12 x bird
• Finished off with some cartwheel and “skin the cat” practice.

notes:
Woke up feeling good. I thought I was going to break some records today, but unfortunately as I was warming up the sumos, I failed on a few attempts at 140 kg. I was hoping to attempt 150 today, but instead I had to back things off to 120 kg.

Not sure what happened but maybe last nights boxing session (pad work) had taken its toll. Maybe I just need to eat more. I suspect my form wasn’t as tight as it could’ve been either, and Im considering a belt that may help? Anyway Im not going to dwell on things.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

great two sessions, keep it going, how do you find sumo over conventional

@bigpappafrance: sumo is great! Feels a lot more natural and more safe for my lower back. I have always ended up injuring myself with conventional. I just don’t have the proper body dimensions (long femurs) to do it safely.

tweet

Saturday, 13th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 5 sets of 5 x 90kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups and some “deFranco 1 leg mobility drill”
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 40kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and rear delt raises (15 x 7kg)
•Finished off with some “skin the cat practice”

notes:
Fairly standard Saturday morning session. Nothing to note.

tweet

Sunday, 14th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•SSB: 5 x 5 with 90kgs. (no pull-ups today, giving my elbows a rest)
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 25kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (12 x orange).
• 4 x prowler pushes with 90kg, 1’20 rest.
• Finished off with some rear debt raises.

notes:
This session was a struggle, but was good. Squats were heavy and lunges was hard.

No BJJ this weekend.

tweet

WEEKLY RECAP

Total weight lifted (total weight lifted from my main working sets): 8,760kgs.

Martial arts: 2 BJJ sessions and 2 boxing session.

Diet: Standard. Cheat meal Saturday night was toasted cheese sandwich’s and protein ice-cream

Recovery & Sleep: Sleep hasn’t been the best. I have been waking up at 3am most mornings and it takes me 30 minutes or so to drift of back to sleep. Im trying to cut down my caffeine consumption to see if that helps.

General wellbeing mood: Standard.

notes:
As noted above, I think my sleep could be better. A few times this week in the gym I just wasn’t in the mood.

tweet

Tuesday, 16th April 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Zercher Squats: 5 sets of (5 x 80kg), supersetted with 5 x pull-ups on rings (no additional weight)
•3 supersets of db incline press (10 x 30kg), dB rows (8 x 35kg)
•Four rounds of uneven Farmer walks (up, down, up,) holding 37.5kg and 32.5kg dBs, with 1’00 break. Once again my grip was too fired to finish off with any cartwheels etc.

notes:
Happy with todays work. Felt strong. 80g is getting hard to hold in the zercher position, but I am keen to attempt 90kg for 3-4 reps next week.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

Thursday, 18th April 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up. Also included broad jumps.
•Sumo deadlifts: 6 sets of (3 x 140kg)
•Superset 3 sets: Sprinter step-ups; 8 steps each leg holding 20 kg dB’s, 10 x TRX feet elevated rows.
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 10 x bird plus 5kg.
• Finished off with some cartwheel and “skin the cat” practice.

notes:
Strong session. Still think my sumo deadlifting form could be cleaned up a little, however instead of watching instructional youTube videos before the gym I was occupied watching the intriguing Champions League fixtures.

140kg was heavy, but I think Im getting close to stepping up to 150ish.

BJJ later tonight, and then tomorrow I’m off to the city for a few days for Easter.

tweet

Friday, 19th April 2019.
—————
TRAINING
—————

AM

Day Three

•Floor press with fat bar using a false grip: 6 sets of 3 x 100kg, supersetted with 5 x ring pull-ups and some “deFranco 1 leg mobility drill”
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (12 x 40kg), with 12 x feet elevated push-ups.
•3 sets of incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), and rear delt raises (15 x 7kg)
•Finished off with some “skin the cat practice”

notes:
Got up early to get this session in before I fly down to the city for Easter. Was a little rushed. 100 kgs was heavy for the floor press and a little grinding. Will be back to training by Tuesday.

tweet