The Bird Cage 6: The Legend Returns

Saturday, 26th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•walked to the gym and the usual warm-up.
•Floor press: 5 working sets of (5x 90kg), supersetted with 5 pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (8 x 40kg), with 12 x bodyweight feet elevated push-ups.
Finished off with bunch of face-pulls and rear debt raises.

notes:
Work has been intense for the past 3 weeks and my sleep has been off. So no fluff work today, and no finisher.

tweet

Sunday, 26th January 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 2 sets of (6 x 70kg) and 2 sets of (6 x 80kg), supersetted with 4 x pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 15 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
• didn’t finish off with any finishers. Im still recovering from an intense period at work.

notes:
So usually I squat down to a box to help me with keeping my depth consistent. Usually I make my “box” 6 levels in height, but for whatever reason today i had only made my box 5 levels high, which means today I was squatting about 5-10 cm deeper. I didn’t realise until after the session, but I did notice that the squats were more challenging and it was harder to keep tight at the bottom of he squat. Saying all that Im happy that I managed to squat a little deeper than usual, so I might continue with this box height.

Still recovering from a long week at work. Happy to get the work in, but hopefully things will settle down a little and I can lift my training intensity.

tweet

1 Like

Thursday, 31 January 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 110kg)
•Superset 3 sets: sprinter step-ups (16 steps holding 17.5kg dBs), with 5 x ring pull-ups
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press: 3 sets of 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird (first 4 reps holding a 5kg dB to my chest)

notes:
Good session. Sumos felt good. Probably need to concentrate on turning my feet out a little more and pushing my knees out more on the descend. Next week I will with either do the same weight for reps of 5, or increase the weight to 120 for reps of 3.

BJJ later tonight. We have been working on various moves that you can do on your opponent when they are in turtle including darce and “anaconda” choke.

tweet

1 Like

Saturday 2nd February 2019.

TRAINING

Did a double today… only because tomorrow I am going on a mini road trip to do a BJJ seminar.

AM

• At the park, I warmed up with the ball, did some dribbling drills, some mobility run throughs and 5 reps of sprints at about 70%.

PM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 4 sets of (6 x 80kg), supersetted with 4 x pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding 17.5 kg dBs), with single-hand band rows (10 x purple band).
• finished off with some face-pulls.

notes:
Once a week I will be going to the park to do some random ball work and sprinting. Idea is to get it all done under an hour.

Gym in the afternoon was good. Squats were heavy, but I should be able to increase the weight again next week. This week my box height was the new “5 levels”.

BJJ seminar for 3-4 hours tomorrow.

tweet

Tuesday, 5th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Zercher squats: 5 x 5 with 60kg. (5 reps of pull-ups on the bar b/w sets)
-dB incline bench: 4 sets of 10 x 25 kg
•dB row: 3 sets of 10 x 30kg.
-finished off 3 sets of: push-ups, 10 x renegade rows, and 10 x squats holding the dBs at my shoulders, all done with 12.5 kg dB’s.

notes:
Zerchers were hard but good. Should be able to up the weight 70kg next week. Went easy with the incline press as my shoulder is still recovering from a slight niggle. Enjoyed my random superset at the end.

BJJ later tonight.

tweet

2 Likes

Holy shit, the bird is still alive.

@corstijeir: still kicking!

tweet

1 Like

Thursday, 7th February 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 120kg)
•Superset 3 sets: sprinter step-ups (16 steps holding 20kg dBs), with 4 x trx push-ups
• Superset 3 sets of: one arm rowf 12 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird (first 4 reps holding a 5kg dB to my chest)

• 3 sets of pallof press using the orange band.

notes:
Sumos were heavy but still felt good. I may have to do another week at this weight as I am still experimenting with my set up. May have to try to get a video up for some t-nation analysing at some point.

tweet

1 Like

Saturday, 9th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press: 6 working sets of (3x 100kg), supersetted with 3 ring pull-ups.
•Supersetted 3 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 40kg), with 12 x bodyweight feet elevated push-ups.
-Finished off 3 rounds of shoulder shocker and some hammer curls.

notes:
The recent heat wave has been draining, but I got in and got the work done. Floor press wasn’t as explosive as I would like, but sometimes you just got to grind.

tweet

Sunday, 10th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

• At the park, I warmed up with the ball, did some dribbling drills, some mobility run throughs and 5 reps of sprints at about 60%.

notes:
Woke up with stiff hips, probably because I have been trying to stay cool inside in the air-con for the past 2 days. So I took things easy. At some stage I want to use this session to start learning how to do cartwheels.

Later today I will be going to BJJ, where will most likely practice the spider guard moves that we learnt at the seminar last week.

tweet

WEEKLY RECAP

Welcome to my new weekly instalment, where I wrap this weeks training up, share my thoughts and ideas.

Total weight lifted (total weight lifted from my main working sets): 5,460 kgs.

Martial arts: 3 BJJ session and 2 boxing sessions.

Diet: Pretty standard. Fasted for 22 hours on Monday. Sneaked in a few extra teaspoons of peanut butter on the weekend. Cheat meals included pizza on Saturday night and probably a burger today at the pub where I will be watching the UFC.

Sleep: Average. 6-7 hours most nights, was feeling a little tired by the end of the week. Work has been busy and had a few really hot days which didn’t help either.

General recovery & mood: Average - good. No injuries or niggles to report.

Notes: Decided this week that I would like to learn how to cartwheel. Watch this space!

tweet

Tuesday, 12th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day One

•Walk to the gym and usual warm-up
•Zercher squats: 5 x 5 with 70kg. (5 reps of pull-ups on the bar b/w sets)
-dB incline bench: 3 sets of 13 x 22.5 kg
•dB row: 3 sets of 10 x 32.5kg.
-finished off 3 sets of: push-ups, 10 x renegade rows, and 10 x squats holding the dBs at my shoulders, all done with 12.5 kg dB’s.

notes:
Wondering what would be a good a good goal for the Zerchers? 90 kg? 100 kg perhaps?
Still rehabbing my left shoulder, hence went easy with the dB bench.

I have been feeling a little off lately. Had a some muscular aches in my neck last night which has interrupted my sleep. Probably caused by the extra workload and computer work at work. Will have to get myself in for a deep tissue session in the next few days.

tweet

1 Like

@theBird

Glad to see your trainings going well man! Does your gym do stripes at these seminars? Just curious as that’s how we do it up here ie all the gyms in the umbrella get together 4 times a year at the founding gym to train together and that’s when all the stripes/ new belts are handled out.

@vikingirish:
Hey Vikes!
My black belt instructor got his 3rd stripe at the seminar by one of his original instructors, who is one of the “dirty dozen”.
Usually the seminar is reserved for giving out black belts and stripes to the black belts by our “grandmaster sensei”. Occasionally someone will get a purple or brown belt.
The seminar was great fun, but we need to travel 4 hours by car one way just to attend, so it s a massive commitment.

tweet

Thursday, 14th February 2019

TRAINING

AM

Day Two

•Sumo deadlifts : 6 sets of (3 x 130kg)
•Superset 3 sets: walking lunges 10 steps each leg holding 20 kg dBs, 12 x one handed rows with the orange band
• Superset 3 sets of: pallof press 8 x orange band, with GHRs: 8 x bird (first 4 reps holding a 8kg dB to my chest)
-Finished off with 2 sets of 2 each side of TGUs, 1st set with 12.5 kg and then 15kg.

notes:
Sumo’s felt great. I think I still need to work on my form a little, especially concentrating on keeping my chest out and proud and dropping my hips down closer to the bar and pushing my knees out maybe a little more. Next week I think I can move on to 140kg.

In other news, I woke up this morning (Friday) feeling a little tired/beaten up. BJJ has been intense and I had done 2 x boxing sessions this week. I will take today off, and resume back at the gym tomorrow morning.

tweet

Saturday, 16th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Three

•Floor press: 6 working sets of (3x 100kg), supersetted with 5 pull-ups on the bar.
•Supersetted 4 sets of: landmine T-bar rows (10 x 40kg), with 12 x bodyweight feet elevated push-ups.
-Finished off 4 laps of the prowler (70kg, up and back, 1 minute rest), and 3 sets of hammer curls: 4 x (10 x 15kg).

notes:
Floor press was heavy. Might attempt this weight with 5 reps. Time to increase weight with the T-bar rows.

tweet

Sunday, 17th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

Day Four

•Back squat to a box: 2 sets of (6 x 90kg) and 2 sets of (80kg x 6), supersetted with 3 x pull-ups.
•Supersetted 4 sets of: walking lunges (10 steps each leg holding a 15 kg plate over my head), with single-hand band rows (12 x orange band).
• finished off with some lateral raises and 3 rounds of shoulder shocker.

notes:
90kg was heavy for me. Still using my new “box height of 5 levels”. I want to make this my new standard. Form was a little dodgy, but that was to be expected with this “heavy” weight.

BJJ later on today. Will be reaping some spider-guard moves we had ;learnt at the seminar a few weeks ago.

tweet

WEEKLY RECAP

Total weight lifted (total weight lifted from my main working sets): 7,930 kgs.

Martial arts: 3 BJJ session and 2 boxing sessions. No-Gi sparring has been intense and I am still adapting to it. We have been only doing noGi for a few weeks now and Im still getting used to the extra cardio requirements.

Diet: As of usual.

Recovery & Sleep: Struggled with a aching muscle in my neck at the beginning of the week, but I had that sorted by my deep tissue practitioner. Stress has been a little higher with the above average workload at work, but nothing to cry about

General wellbeing & mood: Average - good. Need to be careful with my computer usage at work that results in my sore neck.

Notes: Did 4 gym sessions this week instead of the usual 3 plus track day, hence a larger than average total weightage.

tweet

1 Like

@theBird

Ah gotcha, sounds pretty similar to what happens here. Glad it was a good time man!

1 Like

Tuesday, 19th February 2019.

TRAINING

AM

•At the park, I warmed up with the ball, did some dribbling drills, some mobility run throughs and 3 sets of 3 sprints at about 70% intensity.

notes:
Im enjoying these sessions outside. Once I get used to the running, I will ramp things up and do some more intense sprinting.

tweet