The Bird Cage 5: Ultimate Warrior

@TheWolfMan: Probably not. I do the BB step-ups to promote explosive single leg strength. Apparently its a move favoured by olympic sprinters, including the one and only Usain Bolt.

My issue with pistols are my long legs, inflexible ankles, and also the movement requires my dodgy lumbar spine to get in a awkward position. Saying all that I feel that training for the pistol has improved all of those factors, and I can only hope to one day achieve my first pistol.

tweet

Saturday, 17th December 2016.

TRAINING

PM

Upper Rep

• Warmed up with the ball outside: 5 minute run with the ball, juggled and kicked the ball against the wall, did some a-skips and b-skips, 8x 25m sprints at 75%, and finished off with a 300m sprint.
  • Into the gym I warmed up; plank, back bends, BW squats and push-ups, archer push-ups and some free standing handstands.
  • BB overhead press: 5 x 5 with 60kg. (hanged from the bar in-between sets).
  • Superset 4 sets: BW dips x 9, BB curls (11 x 35kg).
  • 4 sets of 15 reps x 20kg of face pulls (3rd world squatting in between sets).

notes:
Great session. Feeling stronger on the track every week. Slowly I would like to up the intensity of my sprints. I still feel some annoying pain in the lower back, but its improving every week by about 10%. I know I should probably do the running after the gym, but it just works out better if I do it before the gym, as long as I keep it short and sharp.

In the gym Im happy with my 60 kg press. Felt a bit dizzy on few of the reps, and the final rep of the final set was more of a push-press.

And tonight its my works Xmas party. Carb-up at the local italian restaurant. Pizza and beer!

tweet

Didn’t know that. I might have to put them into my rotation (I say rotation because I loathe single leg work and I can only force myself to do it if I switch things up a lot)

I’m sure you will. Do you use a counter weight (like a small DB held at arms length)? Supposedly that helps.

@TheWolfMan: Hey Wolfy.

I do mostly single leg work due to my back issues. Why don’t you like single leg work? Is it because it takes twice as long? My favourite single leg exercises would have to be the reverse barbell lunge and dumbbell bulgarian split squats. Walking dumbbell lunges are great as well.

With the pistols I usually douse a counter weight with my eccentric pistols to a box. I have been playing around with not using the weight either. I probably just need to get more volume in with my practicing.

tweet

Sunday, 18th December 2016.

TRAINING

PM

Sundays BJJ class

• Warmed up in the gym: plank, back bends, bodyweight squats and push-ups, and a handstand against the wall.

• Pull-ups: 8 sets of 6, and then 2 sets of 5.

• Shoulder shocker: 2 rounds (didn’t have time for the third).

• At BJJ we practiced some escapes and grip breaking while in the guard, and practiced some submissions from the guard. Finished off with 20 minutes of rolling.

notes:

Last night I had my work Xmas party at which I ate a whole massive pizza and finished 4 beers. Today I feel very ordinary, tired, weak and fat. I don’t usually drink much and hence 4 beers is enough to affect me. I was thinking that I could easily not drink alcohol again. It feels that I only drink it to be social. Although a cold beer with dinner sometimes goes down well, but thats one beer, not four. Standing around at a bar drinking beer for the sake of drinking just feels pointless to me.

/rant.

tweet

2 Likes

Hey Bird. Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself occasionally. If it’s a pizza and 4 beers, that’s not so bad really.

Wanted to run something by you: I’m at 5 weeks right now with a low back injury sustained from snatch grip deadlifts. I’ve had plenty of low back pulls/strains over the years, but they have always healed substantially in 2 weeks. I’m at week 5 now, and while it has gotten better, it’s still very tweaky and I find it fatigues quickly and is subject to re-injur. It’s my left low back. I know you’re going through something similar. I’m assuming I really did a number on it, and it’s just taking longer to heal? I’ve had no numbness down my butt or leg. Just wanted to get your thoughts. I’d like to give it at least 8 weeks before going to spine doc. Reasonable?

1 Like

@IronOne: Hey pal.

Welcome to the “lower back club”. Your issue sounds more muscular, while I think mine is more “structural wear and tear”. I think having 8-12 weeks to take such an injury to heal is not unusual. Just do what you can without making it worse. I wouldn’t bother with the spine doc unless you find yourself in pain after 3 months or so.

After visiting countless numbers of osteo’s, physio’s, and doc’s I have came to the conclusion that the “lower back” is one of the worlds greatest mysteries. People like us and @Yogi1 just have to work out what works and what doesn’t and stick with it.

tweet

3 Likes

This. Also, I’ve found that light pump work is useful for healing pulls. For example my go to for erector/lower back pulls are reverse crunches. I start at bodyweight for a few reps, cutting the reps before they get painful, and slowly build up the amount of pain free reps I can do.

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice, and people are foolish to take medical advice online. I am just saying what I’ve done for my injuries in the past.

2 Likes

@IronOne I’m in complete agreement with @thebird and @Destrength.

These things can take months to sort themselves out and the key is experimenting and finding what works for you. My initial lower back injury took me around 10 weeks to stop being painful most of the time and it was 6 months before I could drive without pain (quite a low car seat then). For recovery I’ve found light pump work an absolute miracle worker - things like back extensions, very light controlled side bends and unweighted reverse hypers work for me. Something that you can get at least 30 reps on. Also, if things are really bad, just walking. I’m no expert, this is just my experience. Good luck with it man.

3 Likes

Monday, 19th December 2016.

AM

TRAINING

AM

Max Upper

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Warm up including plank, back bends, BW squats and push-ups (no handstands today as there was a senior class taking up space where I usually do them).
  • BB floor press: 5 sets of 3 x 95kg. (bird-dogs in between sets)
  • Superset 4 sets of: dB incline hammer curls (10 x 15 kg) x 1, (10 x 17.5 kg) x 1, (10 x 15 kg) x 2, with T-bar rows (8 x 40 kg) x 4.
  • Farmer walks: 3 rounds using the 45 kg dBs and then the last 2 using the 42.5 kg dBs.
  • Bike ride home.

notes:
I had a day off work today so I slept in and took my time getting into the gym, and hence was probably feeling much stronger than I usually do for my AM sessions. Everything went well. Felt strong with the floor press, got a unique pump with the T-bar rows and fried my grip with the farmer walks.

tweet

ya, I came to the exact same conclusion

1 Like

Wednesday, 21st December 2016.

TRAINING

AM

Max Lower

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Warm up, including: plank, back-bends, bodyweight squats and push-ups, handstand practice and pistols to a box.
  • BB box step-ups: 3 sets of 5 x 45 kg, and 2 sets of 3 x 50 kg. (4 reps of pull-ups in b/w sets).
  • dB walking lunges: 3 sets of 10 steps each leg holding 20 kg dB’s.
  • Ham curls: 3 sets of 9 x 35 kg.
  • Bike ride home.

notes:

Good session. High energy! Everything felt strong. Waking lunges were hard but fun.

For some reason on leg days I crave dairy. I usually don’t eat dairy on weekdays, but today I gave in and had milk in my coffee and some greek yoghurt in the evening.

Getting ready for the Christmas break. I will probably take 3-5 days off training. Im feeling in good shape at the moment so the plan is not to go overboard on the food.

tweet

I have a bit of recurring trouble with my SIJ, on the left side. According to my physio it’s extremely hypermobile due to my somewhat retroverted hips. I can deadlift fine, PROVIDED (and this is really crucial) my form is absolutely perfect. As soon as my bar speed drops, or my position slips, I stop the set. Otherwise my back hurts for a week afterwards - can still walk, but it hurts to sit too much and it can twinge if I move it thw wrong way.

And when I do screw it up, walking really helps. @furo hit the nail on the head there

1 Like

So today I had planned one more session in the gym before the Christmas break, but I woke up feeling a little tired and run down. I am officially now on a break.

Will be going down to the big smoke to spend time with the family. Im planning on taking 3-5 days off training.

Have a merry Christmas all.

tweet tweet

2 Likes

Saturday, 31st December 2016.

TRAINING

After a week of indulging in turkey, pork, ham etc etc, I am back into training. Had some time to reflect and I have some new ideas that I will share sometime in the future.

Today I had a BJJ session and I stopped by the gym before-hand. At the gym I warmed up with some planking, bodyweight squats and push-ups and some handstand practice. I rolled my left hip into my lacrosse ball in between sets, and that felt great. i then did 10 sets of 5 pull-ups. Finished off with 3 sets of shoulder shocker.

At BJJ we practiced flower sweeps, and moves to use when the sweep doesn’t work out. Finished off with some rolling. One of my “new year resolutions” is to have a BJJ dairy and spend more time reviewing my knowledge and start to develop a plan when grappling.

tweet

Sunday, 1st January 2017.

TRAINING

Max Upper

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Warm-up in the gym including: plank, back-bends, bodyweight squats and push-ups, archer push-ups and eccentric one handed push-ups.
  • BB bench: (5 x 90kg) x 2, (4 x 90kg (failed for the 5th rep), (5 x 85kg) x 2.
  • Superset 3 sets: dB incline hammer curls (10 x 15kg), seated rows (10 x 50kg)
  • Farmer walks: 3 sets using 2 x 45kg dBs.
  • Bike ride home.

notes:
Not happy with failing for the last rep for the 3 set of the bench. Interestingly the 4th rep went up relatively easy. Im putting it down to having a week off where I did little activity and my diet was all over the place.

BIRD RANT

So I have been thinking about my goals and where I want to go with my training. I have also been reading CT’s thread where there is discussion about the best training for health and preventing ageing etc.

Anyway I have decided I would like to try and decrease the volume of lifting weights, which will give me more time to concentrate on improving my bodyweight mastery, and also allow myself to get some more conditioning in. I weighed myself today for the first time in a long time. I was a little surprised to find that I am at 95 kgs, which I think is too heavy. When I was in my prime playing football I was at about 90 kgs.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I want to change my training in a way to prioritise a little more bodyweight mastery and conditioning. I know that I will be sacrificing some size and maybe strength, but I think I will feel better and move better. I am still not sure how I am going to implement this all into my training program and nutrition plan.

Let me know what you think? Suggestions?

tweet

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea. More likely than not, when you do return to a strength focus, your body will feel great and be ready for the new challenge. You’ll be able to hit the correct positions, giving you a higher ceiling for strength. Basically, I see it as you making an investment in yourself to better yourself for the long run.

I’m doing some of the same, i.e., timed mile run goal, starting yoga, KB position work like TGUs, swings, snatches etcccc

@IronOne: Thanks buddy. I think you are right. Having the ability to move more freely and more “athletically” is like making investment.

I suppose another reason for my new decision is that I have noticed with the extra bit of volume and effort in the gym I really do pack on extra size and strength. but the problem is that the level of strength and size is difficult to maintain. A minor injury or something in my daily life that stops me for training for 3-4 days is enough for myself to lose some of that extra size & strength and just leaves me feeling heavy.

I hope that all makes sense.

tweet

Wednesday, 4th January 2017

TRAINING

AM

Max Lower

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Warm-up and body-weight work: plank, back-bends, body-weight squats and push-ups, handstand practice, pistol practice.
  • Reverse lunges: 5 x5 with 60 kg. (3 reps of pull-ups and bird-dogs in between sets).
  • 3 supersets: BSS (10 x 15kg), swiss ball hamstring curls (6 reps).
  • Bike ride home.

notes:
Solid session. Knees feel great after having an extended break over Christmas. Just shows how important sufficient rest is for recovery.

Seriously considering cutting back on accessory work and concentrating more on body-weight skill work and strength work. I will have a think about it, but there is some part of me that is worried without the accessory work I will shrivel up and became a “girly man”. So I dunno.

tweet

The biggest thing with accessory work being cut out is imbalances can pop up.

Also a rest sounds really nice right now! I am going through squat hell right now, and my knees are getting a little creaky. Have you ever tried using knee sleeves? I am considering investing in a pair for really high squat emphasis cycles (like this one).

Did you end up gorging yourself during the holidays? I ate some disgusting amounts of food. Like a pound of ham, and a pound of turkey (one on actual christmas day, and the other during a family gathering), along with a whole vegetable platter and a bunch of other stuff. I didn’t have any sweets, and didn’t eat any necessarily bad food though, so that’s good.