The Bird Cage 5: Ultimate Warrior

Wednesday, 27th July 2017.

Gym “Day Two”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up including banded monster walks and ham. curls etc.
  • Front squats: 5 sets of (3 x 60kg), & 5 sets of (3 x 65kg) (supersettedwith 4 reps of pull-ups)
  • 4 set superset of: dB incline bench (6 x 30kg), seated rows (6 x 70kg)
  • Bike ride home

notes:
Front squats form probably need some improvement, but I think I am slowly on track.

Todays food was: First meal 2 x 3 egg omelettes, one with ground beef, one with cheese. I had some blueberries just before the gym. Last meal; heaps of adobo chicken (thighs and liver) and a cup of cauliflower rice. Macros were about: 210/30/140 (2,300).

tweet

1 Like

Keep at it bro. You may or may not find it helpful to throw in some lighter 30 second isometrics in the hole after your working sets. I remember that was a game changer for my own front squats (not the numbers necessarily, but the solidity of the movement pattern, if that makes sense)

2 Likes

Friday, 29th July 2017.

Gym “Day Three”

• Usual warm-up including walking lunges and handstands against the wall.
  • 10 set superset: BB overhead press 5 x (3x 55kg), 5 x (3 x 57.5kg), supersetted with weighted pull-ups 10 x (3 x 10kg).
  • RDLS: 4 sets of 6 x 50kg.
  • Finished off with some rear delts and hammer curls.

notes:
I did attempt 60kg with the overhead press, but that was too heavy. Nice pump at the end with the hammer curls.

I think I might take a “deload” next week. Will probably go in the gym and do a few days of some high rep stuff for a change. Sometime this weekend I will sit down and summarise the past 3-4 weeks and think about making changes to my program and diet. I am happy with the way things have progressed.

tweet

Sunday, 30th July 2017.

Im deloading this week. Taking a break from low reps. Instead I will go into the gym for 3-4 full body dB high rep stuff.

Deload “A”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • 4 set superset: db bench (10 x 25kgs), goblet squats (10 x 27.5kg)
  • dB rows: 3 sets of 10 x 27.5kg.
  • 3 set superset: bodweight dips x 10, BB curls (10 x 30kg)
  • Finished off with some face-pulls
  • Bike ride home, the long way including the epic hill climb at the end.

notes:
Todays session was a good change from the low rep stuff I have been doing lately. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Fist time I attempted the hill climb on my bike since my holiday and even though I did feel a little dizzy at some points, it wasn’t any harder than I remember previously.

Nutrition today got a little out of control. Sunday usually is my "cheat: day. Breakfast was the usual lamb stay sticks and a piece of fried chicken from my favorite food van. Lunch was a can of sardines, some olives and a slice of keto banana bread. And then 1 hour later I was hungry, and I ended up eating some steaks from the night before as long with a few handfuls of macadamia nuts and pork rinds. Later for dinner it was green bean stew with krasnki sausage. Lost count of macros but Im guestimating it to be about 280/150/200 (>3,500 calories).

In other news, i am considering buying a trampoline for some extra cardio and to learn tricks such as back flips and cartwheels on.

tweet

2 Likes

2nd August 2017.

Deload “B”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up including banded monster walks and handstands against the wall.
  • 4 set superset: walking dB lunges (10 steps each leg with 17.5kg dB’s), overhead dB press (10 x 15kg).
  • 4 set superset: bodyweight pull-ups (5 reps), bodyweight push-ups (12 reps).
  • incline hammer dB curls: 3 sets of 10 x 12.5kg.
  • Finished off with some rear delts.
  • Bike ride home the long way including the epic hill climb at the end.

notes:
Once again enjoyed the higher reps, and the extra cardio on the bike on the way home.

tweet

1 Like

Friday, 4th August 2017.

Deload “A”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up.
  • 4 set superst : db bench press (10 x 27.5kg), goblet squats (10 x 30kg)
  • 3 set superset: bodyweight dips (10 reps), BB curls (8 x 35kg)
  • Finished off with facepulls
  • Bike ride home, the long way including the epic hill climb at the end.

notes:
Only managed 8 reps of the dB bench on the last set. I also forgot to do the dB rows between the 2 supersets. But besides that it was a great session.

Looking forward to getting back into my low rep stuff.

tweet

Hey mate, it has been a while since I have checked in. Had a lot of change going on recently.

How are things? How is the BJJ progressing?

@Ironwarrior25: Hi buddy. I am good thanks. How are you? Where have you been?! Still training??

BJJ is progressing very slowly. We only do 2 classes a week, sometimes 3. Probably not enough to really get good at it, and it can be frustrating sometimes.

There are some days when I feel I like I know what Im doing and should sign up for the UFC, and then there are days when I get my ass handed back to me by newbie white belts.

I am enjoying it though, as its something totally different to what I have ever done in the past. I think variety is the spice of life.

tweet

Sunday, 6th August 2017.

Gym “Day One”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm up including banded monster walks.
  • 10 set superset: BB bench ( 3 x 90kg), T-bar rows (5 x 40kg).
  • Bulgarian split squats: 4 sets of 10 x 15kg.
  • Finished off with some rear delts.
  • Bike ride home.

notes:
No BJJ against today as most of the crew are travelling to the city for a seminar. I couldn’t justify the 8 hours in the car for a 2 hour seminar. Gym was good, 90kg was heavy but doable.

Todays food was: lamb satay sticks with piece of fried chicken for breakfast from the local markets, a handful of macadamias for a snack, and then for dinner I baked some chicken thighs coated in pork rinds, with a side dish of grilled cheese on some sliced zuchhini. Rough macros worked out to be about 220/70/140 (2,600).

tweet

2 Likes

Hey mate, yeah still been around. Lot of change as I have a new job (a complete career change), will be moving city and rowing season has finished. Had my best season ever, both personally and in terms of club performance, even despite me missing the 2016 season due to issues with the coach.

I haven’t been logging as regularly since Henley, but still been training most days. I will be back on it properly on 23rd August getting ready for the new season, as I am offer travelling Europe for a couple of weeks, before I move.

I have heard BJJ is touch to master, but is one of the most useful to learn. Are you ever thinking of competing, or just training to get to the best level you can?

Wednesday, 9th August 2017.

Gym “Day Two”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up including monster walks and ham curls.
  • Front squats: 5 sets of (3 x 60kg), 5 sets of (3 x 70kg), supersetted with 4 reps of body-weight chin-ups.
  • 4 sets superset of: dB bench press: 2 x (6 x 72.5kg), 2 x (6 x 30kg), with seated rows 4 x (6 x 65kg)
  • Finished off with some hammer curls and face-pulls.
  • Bike ride home the long way, including the epic hill climb at the end.

notes: Good session. Front squats are starting to feel more comfortable, although still need to work on my form.

tweet

@Ironwarrior25 : Good to hear you are doing well mate. Congratulations with the career change. Are you able to say what you are doing now?

I just got back from Europe about a month ago. Had the best time.

BJJ has been a little tricky. And I only do it twice a week which makes it hard to make massive improvements. At the moment competing does not interest me. It has done wonders for my mobility, and the mental side of it is enjoyable but frustrating I am considering training some form of striking as well, but time is a factor.

Looking forward to when you start logging again.

tweet

Friday, 11th August 2017.

Gym “Day Three”

• Usual warm-up at the gym including banded walks and handstands against the wall.
  • 10 set superset: BB overhead press 5 x (3 x 55 kg), 4 x (3 x 57.5kg), 1 x (3 x 60kg), supersetted with weighted pull-ups (3 x 10kg).
  • RDLs: 4 sets of 6 x 40kg
  • Finished off with some rear dlts and BB curls.

notes:

Morning session today, as this afternoon Im traveling down to the big smoke for a conference over the weekend. Too cold and dark to ride the bike. Happy with my pressing. Feels like Im making some progress.

Felt a little fatigued last night at BJJ, so Im thinking I might need to up the calories or maybe have some sort of re-feed midweek. Or maybe I was just tired because it was Thursday night and I have had a relatively busy week at work. At the moment Im hitting roughly 200/50/160, and about 2300 calories.

tweet

2 Likes

Nice one brother

1 Like

Wednesday, 16th August 2017.

Gym “Day One”

• Usual warm-up at the gym.
  • 10 set superset: BB bench 10 x (3 x 95kg), T-bar row (10 x (5 x 40kg).
  • BSS: 4 sets of 6 reps holding a 17.5 kg dB.
  • Finished off with some rear delts and hammer curls.

notes:

This weeks training is starting late in the week as I was away for 4 days in the city for a conference. Im going to try and squeeze all my workouts in what time I have left this week. Flew back in on Tuesday night and I managed to make it to BJJ in time. No bike this week as its getting a minor service. Probably a little too cold and wet to be riding at the moment anyway.

Diet was not the best while I was away on the conference. If anyone has the chance I would highly recommend trying out “Hot Star Chicken” once in your life. Saturday night I had indulged in a large deep fried chicken breast with deep fried mushrooms and lotus lol.

In other news, I have purchased a longboard. I have never used a skateboard before, but this is something I wanted to learn for sometime now. Just have to find the time to practice.

tweet

Friday, 18th August 2017.

Gym “Day Two”

• Usual warm-up at the gym including banded monster walks.
  • 10 set superset: Front squats (3 x 70kg), chin-ups (4 x bird).
  • 4 set superset: dB bench (6 x 30kg), seated rows (6 x 70kg)
  • Finished off with some dB hammer curls and face pulls.

notes:
Squats felt good. Slowly but surely Im getting closer to my goal of a body-weight front squat. but Im in no rush to get there!

tweet

1 Like

Saturday, 19th August 2017.

Gym “Day Three”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up at the gym including 3 rounds of bear walks, frog jumps and spider-man crawls.
  • 10 sets superset: overhead BB press 5 x (3 x 55kg), 5 x (3 x 60kg), with weighted pull-ups (3 x 10kg).
  • Finished off with some rear delt raises.
  • Bike ride home.

notes:
Making some decent progress with the overhead press. My usual dodgy left shoulder is feeling pretty good with only the slightest bit of niggle now and again.

tweet

1 Like

Every time I read this log I picture you sprinting to the gym in facepaint and neon arm tassels. That’s how life should be

3 Likes

Not quite.

I usually rock up in lycra bike pants, but quickly change into my usual gym attire of shorts and t-shirt.

tweet

1 Like

Sunday, 20th August 2017.

Gym “Day One”

• Bike ride to the gym.
  • Usual warm-up including handstand practice against the wall.
  • 10 set superset: BB bench 5 x (3 x 90kg), 5 x (3 x 95kg), T-bar rows (5 x 40kg).
  • Bulgarian Split Squats: 4 sets of 6 x 17.5kg each leg.
  • Finished off with some BB curls, push-ups and face-pulls.
  • Bike ride home, the long way home including the epic hill climb at the end.

notes:
Feeling strong. Back is feeling relatively good… Im thinking of swapping the T-bar rows for some proper BB rows. Wouldn’t mind experimenting with some more explosive movements for my accessory work as well, such as jumping bulgarian split squats.

I listened to Joe Rogans podcast with Agostino while at the gym. Interesting to hear about the benefits of the keto diet. Not sure how much of it is applicable to us meatheads though. At the moment my avegae macros are at about P: 200 C: 70 F: 160, which usually ends up been around 2,400 calories.

tweet

2 Likes