T Nation

The Bird Cage 2. Aviar Dreams

Thursday, 28th June 2012.

Hey hey hey bird-watchers!!

Welcome back to your favourite cage for another dose of awesomesauce!

TRAINING

AM

Well today was my day off, so after breakfast I went for a massage. I have found a new masseure who is actually a competitive bodybuilder. He competed at the world champs last year. The guy was huuuge and knew what he was doing. He gave my gluteus and piriformis a good rub, and my SI joint pain is now non-existant. I also chatted to iom about the different gyms in town, and he had invited me to try out the gym he goes to. Apparently its hard-core!(Like me)

PM

Went to team soccer training. A few more 1st team palyers turned up to training and we split the squad into 2. Training was much better than last Tuesday. One of my screw-in studs had fallen off one of my boots and I had a touch of tendonitis in my right knee so I only put in 70% effort tonight, although it was still a decent hit-out.

This weeks game is an away game, south of the city. Most of the squad are coming down on Saturday to spend the night in the city, instead of travelling down on the Sunday. Hopefully that will mean we will come out fresh and ready come game day.

Keep tweeting tweeters!

tweet

good luck!

Friday, 29th June 2012.

TRAINING

AM

Went to the park to do some skill work and running. Practiced some shooting, some turning, some dribbling and some tricky moves. Finished off with 4 x 350m runs. Was a good session

PM

Hit the gym for upper body.

Agile 8 and shoulder mobility.

3 sets of 20 reps of box squats. Bar only.

Flat bench press
Ramped up to my working set
5 x 90kg
5 x 90kg
5 x 90kg
5 x 90kg
5 x 90kg

Pull-ups
3 sets of 5. And then I maxed out on chin-ups for fun(managed to get 9).

dB rows supersetted with dB overhead press
rows;3 sets of 7 using 35kg dBs, overhead press; 3 sets of 12 using 17.5kg dBs

seated machine rows
3 sets of 10

face-pulls
3 sets of 12.

And in other news… tonight I am preparing to go travel down to the city for the weekend. Leaving tomorrow morning. Game is on Sunday. This weeks game is an important one, as the team has to prove that we can win on the road. An away win wil put us in prime position to challenge for the top of the table position.

tweet

Sunday, 1st July 2012.

GAMEDAY

We draw 1-1.

Felt like a loss. We played like crap against a crap team. We had a few players missing through injury etc, and we dont have the depth to replace the players. Games like this might came back to bite us at the end of the season.

tweet

Tuesday, 3rd July 2012.

TRAINING

PM

Went to team soccer training tonight. Was planning to go to the gym for legs this morning, but I needed the extra sleep and rest. I think I have tweaked my hip flexor, but nothing to worry about. Team training was pretty shit like usual for a Tuesday. A few palyers away with “injuries”. Atleast I got to have a abit of a run just to see what is sore and what is not. Everything is feeling ok… should be all “engines go” for tomorrow mornings le session.

tweet

MOTIVATION

Enuff said.

RIP buddy.

tweet

Wednesday, 4th July 2012.

TRAINING

AM

Legs at the gym.

Agile 8 etc.

3 sets of 20 reps of squats, followed by 3 sets of 5 reps of 50kg squats. Was easy. Im slowly going to add weight to my squats until Im ready to have a full-on onlsaught at squatting again.

Bulgarian Split Squats
Ramped up to my working set
7 x 40kg
7 x 50kg
7 x 50kg
7 x 50kg

Single leg deadlifts
3 sets of 10 usuing 30kg barbell. (Balance and form still an issue).

Supersetted walking lunges and goblet squats
3 sets, using 20kg dBs for lunges(total of 20 steps each set) and 32.5kg dB for wide stance goblet squats(12 reps).
Next week I think I can bump up the weight on both of these and maybe increase the reps with the goblet squats.

Finished off with some skipping and some planking.

Was a decent session, although I caught myself day dreaming now and again. Took me about 80 minutes to complete, while I probably should be getting it all that done in 70 minutes.

PM

No training. Cooked a big pot of chilli instead. Hopefully get to bed early tonight and get some extra rest aswell.

tweet

Saturday, 7th July 2012.

Hi little ducklings!!!

Well you have all been probably been wondering where I have been?

Things have got busy in the past few days and I havent had time to keep you guys up-dated. I have been doing my normal training including a impressive 3 rep of 105kg with the bench press the other day.

This week the soccer team has a bye, so birdy gets the weekend off. Will hopefully get out this afternoon and do some 400m run repeats to maintain fitness.

As per usual, I will resume my normal posting come Monday. Sorry about any inconvinience.

tweet

Monday, 9th July 2012.

TRAINING

Had the weekend off… and wake up Monday with patella tendonitis!! FML.

Did some mobility drills and went for a light run in the park. Hoping to “train through” the tendonitis.
Will test it otu tomorrow with a leg session at the gym hopefully.

tweet

Tuesday, 10th July 2012.

TRAINING

AM

Legs at the gym. Was a bit cautious as I have a little bit ok patella tendonitis, so I wasnt going to try and break any records.

Agile 8 etc.

3 sets of 20 reps squats bar only. Then did 3 sets of 5 at 50kg. Feeling good. Slowly getting into the groove. Knee didnt feel too bad. My aim to to be ready to be squatting heavy once soccer season is over, which is about in 3 months.

Bulgarian split squats
Ramped up to my working sets
7 x 40kg
7 x 50kg
7 x 50kg
7 x 50kg

Single leg deadlift with barbell
8 x 30kg
8 x 30kg
8 x 40kg (Getting better at these… knee felt really good after these for some reason).

Walking lunges with 20kd dBs
3 sets of 20 steps (If my knee is feeling good next week, I will definatley have to up the weight)

Finished off with 10 minutes of skipping and a couple rounds of planking.

PM

Went to team soccer training. Wasnt as bad as Tuesdays usually are. I have realised I have to just look on the bright side of life, and just get what I can out of team training and have fun. Just pisses me off that everyone is so clueless.

We have a big game this weekend. We are playing the top of the ladder team, who we had beaten in the first game of the season. We really need to win to get us back up the ladder. We are currently sitting on third.

tweet

How are leagues divided up in Australia?

How many divisions are you away from a pro division?

Bird, i used to a play very competitive soccer as a kid from when i was 3-12  years old. Played in pretty much the highest level for my age and was very good. Was asked to join many club teams so they could have me for high school. When i turned 12 i was burned out. I always had good size and foot skillz but my conditioning sucked and kids were catching up. I used to play soccer pretty much in all my free time and i loved it. But, at 12 i quit for good. Picked up some other sports and lifting so it was no big deal. 

A few months ago there was a friendly competition which was a few of my friends who are freshmen vs. the freshman soccer team. My friends asked me to play and i was pretty excited. We played for an hour and the game ended 4 to 4. I had 3 goals for my team and i felt i dominated every player on the other team. My lifting and running had made me outpower them and keep up with them speed wise. Most of my foot skills are still here and my shooting was decent.

I think ive picked up the love for the game where i left it. Just got a team together and signed up for an indoor league in winter. I am planning on joining the soccer team in 2 years because the team already started and i would be far behind. So my question to you is how should i prepare myself conditioning wise to get in top shape because that is still lacking? Also and drills i could run to sharpen my skills and shooting?

thanks

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
So my question to you is how should i prepare myself conditioning wise to get in top shape because that is still lacking? Also and drills i could run to sharpen my skills and shooting?
[/quote]

I have played to a high standard in a previous life.

My advice conditioning wise would be to get decent times at 5km and 10km runs. I would say around 18-19 min 5km and 40-43 min 10km. These helped me alot at the time.

In addition to this, much shorter sprints from 10m up to 400m varying frequency , volume and speed.

Drills to sharpen? Play as often as possible, 5 a side leagues etc. No substitute for playing, especially after multiple years away from the game.

sorry for speaking on Bird’s behalf but thought might help.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Jab1-brah; Gladiator rows; While in the plank/push-up position with arms out straight, with a dumbell in each hand, you perform a single arm row with the aim of keeping your torso straight, and then repeat with the other hand. Does that make sense? Its a core move, really works the adductors and core.

tweet[/quote]

i think they be called renegade rows officially…i think. Either way these are real fun and good.

looking pretty solid in here man…kinda glad u pushed through the initiating hate of tnation hahaha

yolo84-brah; I play in the Sunday league. There is a better league, which is the Saturday league, but I gave up on Saturdays a few years ago. I play more for “fun and fitness”. In the Sunday league there are 5 divisions, I have recently moved to a town whos team is in the 3rd division. Hopefully we can grab a top 2 spot this year and earn promotion for next year. We are currently sitting 3rd on the ladder.

jtownlax-brah; Welcome to the cage.
yolo84 has given you some very good advice. I also like to implement skill sessions that you do by yourself. I prefer to do these in a fastes state, first thing in the morning, while listening to some up-beat tunes on my ipod. I like to practice dribble between cones that are about a meter apart. Practice turning moves. Practice shooting/passing a ball against a wall, and practice recieving and turning quickly with the ball. As long with 5k and 10k runs, I would also implement 70m sprint repeats and 400m runs. And most importantly, rember to have fun!

bignate-brah; What can I say? Men want to be me, and bitches want to do me. Lightweight!

tweet

Wednesday, 11th July 2011.

TRAINING

AM

Went to the park for some skill work and sprints. All done in a fasted state(minus a coffee).
Warmed up with a run around the park with the ball, practiced passing against the wall, dribbled between some cones, practiced some turns and moves, did 10 x10m sprints with the ball and then finished off with 8 x 70m sprints.

PM

Having the afternoon off Tried to book a massage, but there were no appointments left. Might go watch Spider-man for the second time!! Have to do some house work first, and I might have a bit of a roll on the foam roller if I get time.

tweet

Thursday, 12th July 2012.

TRAINING

PM

Went to team soccer training. We played a full field game agaisnt the reserves and almost got beat. We are still trying to play a 3-5-2 formation, which can often leave the defense exposed to attacking midfielders, especially when our midfielders dont mark up or play defensive. Oh well.

This weeks game is a home game against the top of the ladder team. We beat them in the first game of the seasonand Im sure they will be looking for revenge.

tweet

Bird mate, what the fuck is going on with your new av lol

LOL at the avi man. Thanks for the advice.

Read an article about how it is a bad idea to do workouts fasted as an athlete. Just a thought.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
Bird mate, what the fuck is going on with your new av lol[/quote]

Its a new rule that I am trying to enforce in T-Nation. You avatar must have a picture of your physique in it. Im leading by example.

tweet