The Biggest Loser: Looking for a Powerlifter

[quote]B rocK wrote:

I once watched a whole season of “the most dumbest model” with my girlfriend; I just wanted to put that out there…[/quote]

i’m assumming that there was at least some “nuckle shuffle” during the commercials.

Is there any money incentive for this?

Something doesn’t seem right about this. I’m sensing a scam.

Isn’t the point of the show to get TRULY obese people to get off the couch and get to a weight where they are not at risk of dieing due to diseases related to obesity? So why put a perfectly healthy powerlifter (Someone who gets off their ass most every day of the week to do something active) on the show?

My guess is that they are counting on the powerlifter losing the extra layer of fat and maybe a little bit of muscle mass but still looking huge and ripped by the end. Then they will spin it (just like they do with ALL reality shows) and make it seem like Bob and Jillian, the AMAZING biggest loser trainers got this person all “ripped”. They will put this person’s face on all of their asinine workout videos to make more money.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Is there any money incentive for this?[/quote]

The winner of the biggest loser gets 200,000 $$$ plus whoever wins the challenges sometimes get some pretty nice prizes (5,000 dollars worth of groceries, an rv, etc)

Also the winner from who was kicked off the show gets 100,000

[quote]daraz wrote:
Is there any money incentive for this?[/quote]

There is always money involved in reality shows. Those people are paid to be on television even if they win nothing.

I would consider doing this, but my yoke is getting pretty thick and I just buzzed off all my hair, so I’m not sure I look non-threatening right now.

Plus I’d rather die than walk on a fucking treadmill:

Trainer guy: Alright, Conor, let’s walk on this incline treadmill.

Conor: Ummm, no, I’m going to box squat.

Trainer guy: Well, you see, umm, you…

Conor: lays on floor Hey Fish Fry, will you traction my hips?

[quote]Lou Schuler wrote:
a) technically obese (BMI of 30+)
[/quote]

You would think they’d be asking for people with BMIs upwards of 40 or even 50. I’m pretty sure my BMI floats around the low 30s and on a good day with the right lighting it almost looks like I have abs.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
dianab wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:
Thanks Lou. While I don’t qualify I think the heads up is pretty cool.

This is the “scene” as written by the producers:

GYM INT. Day:

(Good wholesome T-Man powerlifter working out with Bob.)

Bob: “OK-let’s do some deadlifts.”

T-Man: “There is not enough weight in the gym and I don’t think Jillian can move the chains.”

Bob: “You have a point. SPIN bike?”

…and at this point the powerlifter gets bored and eats Bob.

I hope they find a candidate, it could be highly entertaining.

i’ve always wondered this… which one of the trainers is the guy??
[/quote]

Neither…

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
That’s cool Lou.

But I think they may need someone with a BMI a lot higher than 30.

If I gained 3 pounds I’d be at a 30 and I don’t think I have the body shape they are looking for! [/quote]

That’s right. The midget show is later in the year.

-WERE YOU AN ATHLETE WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER AND THEN LIFE GOT IN THE WAY?

This might be legit.

Hey $250,000.00 I have student loans to pay. So being a “fat fuck” might get me somewhere.

There also looking for trainers. So, you fitness guru’s that are on this site, here is your chance.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
They ought to contact Donnie Thompson.[/quote]

“b) good-looking in a wholesome, non-threatening kind of way”

[quote]Kalle wrote:
daraz wrote:

The winner of the biggest loser gets 200,000 $$$ plus whoever wins the challenges sometimes get some pretty nice prizes (5,000 dollars worth of groceries, an rv, etc)

Also the winner from who was kicked off the show gets 100,000[/quote]

The winner actually gets $250,000.

And this is why some of these comments amuse me. ALL reality shows have a bullshit aspect to them. Most reality shows are lame. I think the Biggest Loser is the least lame of the reality show bunch because it actually does something constructive. No, it’s not realistic for most people to lose weight that quickly, it’s probably not the most conducive to long-term fat loss, but several of the contestants do maintain their losses.

Are people so afraid of losing muscle mass that they would pass up a chance for $250,000? I could do a lot with that money. And lost strength and muscle can be regained quickly (I know, I’ve done it) and with and extra $250,000, I could afford some protein and supplements to speed the process. Technically I’m not a powerlifter or else I would do this.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
That’s cool Lou.

But I think they may need someone with a BMI a lot higher than 30.

If I gained 3 pounds I’d be at a 30 and I don’t think I have the body shape they are looking for!

That’s right. The midget show is later in the year.[/quote]

That’s a low blow… now I have a black eye.

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
Something doesn’t seem right about this. I’m sensing a scam.

Isn’t the point of the show to get TRULY obese people to get off the couch and get to a weight where they are not at risk of dieing due to diseases related to obesity? So why put a perfectly healthy powerlifter (Someone who gets off their ass most every day of the week to do something active) on the show?

My guess is that they are counting on the powerlifter losing the extra layer of fat and maybe a little bit of muscle mass but still looking huge and ripped by the end. Then they will spin it (just like they do with ALL reality shows) and make it seem like Bob and Jillian, the AMAZING biggest loser trainers got this person all “ripped”. They will put this person’s face on all of their asinine workout videos to make more money.
[/quote]

Sickeningly true.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

The powerlifter would come into the gym with a lot more experience than most of the contestants on that show. [/quote]

and quite possible the trainers depending on the lift…

[quote]nexus77241 wrote:
Brett295 wrote:

The powerlifter would come into the gym with a lot more experience than most of the contestants on that show.

[/quote]

well if its a gyro-crunch or dragon-fly then the point will probaly go to the trainer.

but anything youre not allowed to do at Planet Fitness would go to the PLer

[quote]nexus77241 wrote:
Brett295 wrote:

The powerlifter would come into the gym with a lot more experience than most of the contestants on that show.

[/quote]

Almost guarenteed someone who’s competed enough will be much more educated on training then the “trainer”.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Thanks Lou. While I don’t qualify I think the heads up is pretty cool.

This is the “scene” as written by the producers:

GYM INT. Day:

(Good wholesome T-Man powerlifter working out with Bob.)

Bob: “OK-let’s do some deadlifts.”

T-Man: “There is not enough weight in the gym and I don’t think Jillian can move the chains.”

Bob: “You have a point. SPIN bike?”

[/quote]

Trust me, very few of the strongest powerlifters are “T-Men.”

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Kalle wrote:
daraz wrote:

Also the winner from who was kicked off the show gets 100,000

The winner actually gets $250,000.

And this is why some of these comments amuse me. ALL reality shows have a bullshit aspect to them. Most reality shows are lame. I think the Biggest Loser is the least lame of the reality show bunch because it actually does something constructive. No, it’s not realistic for most people to lose weight that quickly, it’s probably not the most conducive to long-term fat loss, but several of the contestants do maintain their losses.

Are people so afraid of losing muscle mass that they would pass up a chance for $250,000? I could do a lot with that money. And lost strength and muscle can be regained quickly (I know, I’ve done it) and with and extra $250,000, I could afford some protein and supplements to speed the process. Technically I’m not a powerlifter or else I would do this.[/quote]

I keep trying to agree with this… I do and I don’t. I think it’s extremely stupid and shallow for the people on this board to call the show the “Biggest Fatties” blah blah blah. Who the fuck are they? At least those people ARE on the show trying to change themselves. Whether it’s for money, publicity, who gives a flying fuck? They’re doing something about it.

Plus, look at any testimonial (post-show) and most of the people continued healthy lifestyles. It may not be everyone on this board’s idea of healthy, but it sure beats sitting around eating Cheeto’s and watching 24 every night.

Now to play Devil’s advocate with myself, I know the show wouldn’t properly display the lifestyle of and what it takes to be a powerlifter/strength sport athlete. If they won, they’d probably be pretty cut up in the end, but I can also guarantee it’d be at the great expense of muscle and strength loss… there’s no way those two trainers would be able to use proper training methods for the PLers to properly diet down without losing much of the base they’ve been spending years and years working for.

In summary: Get off the nuts of the Biggest Loser. You’re a hypocrite if you make fun of the people on the show. That being said, NEVER BE ON THE SHOW!

My BMI is 30. I put my application in