T Nation

The Biggest Loser: Looking for a Powerlifter

Guys, someone associated with The Biggest Loser contacted me a couple days ago, saying the show is now (and has been for some time) looking for a powerlifter who’s

a) technically obese (BMI of 30+)

b) good-looking in a wholesome, non-threatening kind of way

c) interested in losing a lot of weight.

This page has info on what they’re looking for in general:

http://www.winningman.com/category/biggest-loser/casting/

I don’t know much about reality shows. I think I’m one of the few people in America who can honestly say I’ve never seen an entire episode of one. But if they’re looking for a powerlifter, I think it’d be cool to see a real T-man get the shot.

If you’re interested, send an email to: loser@winningman.com

That goes to Pete Thomas, who was a winning contestant on the show and helps the producers find new talent.

This is from Pete, explaining how to address the email and what you need to include in it:


Put the following in the email:

Subject Line of email:
Biggest Loser Casting (Gender) Name / Age / Weight /

Body of Message:

Include a clear picture in the email or a link to a video of yourself and a few lines about yourself such as,

Name / Weight / How much you want to Lose etc / Any relatives that are overweight? / Why you want to be on the show.

I will pass it along to the casting directors who may ask you to A) come to a open casting call B) Come directly to a private interview C) nothing.

I don’t have any power with the network, I can just pass it along to the powers that be.


That’s everything I know.

If you’re interested, it certainly seems like a unique opportunity. If you know anyone else who might be interested, please pass it along. And feel free to post this in other T-Nation forums.

If anybody pursues this and gets an audition for the show, please send me a PM and keep me updated. Thanks, and good luck to anyone who’s interested!

That’s cool Lou - it would be great to see someone with a ton of muscle diet down to a ripped physique on that show…

Thanks Lou. While I don’t qualify I think the heads up is pretty cool.

This is the “scene” as written by the producers:

GYM INT. Day:

(Good wholesome T-Man powerlifter working out with Bob.)

Bob: “OK-let’s do some deadlifts.”

T-Man: “There is not enough weight in the gym and I don’t think Jillian can move the chains.”

Bob: “You have a point. SPIN bike?”

Thats a neat concept, ps I heard yall just got MMA in Pennsylvania, thats pretty cool to. Good luck with both

That’s one of the only shows I watch on TV. I watched it last night in fact. I’d love to see a powerlifter on there. Those trainers would absolutely kill him, and I’d be willing to bet he’d be dropping mad weight. These guys work out like 4-6 hours a day. Insane! You’d think it would kill them because they’re so massively obese, but somehow they survive it.

Of course, I’m sure most of the time they’re walking on the treadmill. They edit the footage to show you the most extreme stuff they put them through.

That’s cool Lou.

But I think they may need someone with a BMI a lot higher than 30.

If I gained 3 pounds I’d be at a 30 and I don’t think I have the body shape they are looking for!

They ought to contact Donnie Thompson.

Don is a BIG guy, quite a character, and in surprisingly good shape considering he weighs nearly 400 lbs.

This seems strange to me. Powerlifters in general arent the most lean guys in the gym but they gerneraly are not fat and usualy have a lot of muscle. It would be interesting to see how they train a powerlifter as opposed to a couch potato.

The powerlifter would come into the gym with a lot more experience than most of the contestants on that show.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
This seems strange to me. Powerlifters in general arent the most lean guys in the gym but they gerneraly are not fat and usualy have a lot of muscle. It would be interesting to see how they train a powerlifter as opposed to a couch potato.

The powerlifter would come into the gym with a lot more experience than most of the contestants on that show. [/quote]

I wonder if they would have the powerlifter do push-ups with hands on a bench and knees on the floor?

i love the “good looking in a wholesome… non- threatening way”.

i watch that show for a good laugh. i call it the “Fattest Fuck” though.

last night they “competed” for a year’s worth of groceries. wtf?? if there’s a group that doesn’t need a years worth of groceries, it’s that crew.

i find it funny that our society see’s this sort of crap as some sort of courageous thing. It’s a group of people that were lazy and ate too much.

How about a show about people that actually live a healthy lifestyle and workout on a regular basis. that won’t happen becuase the average tv watcher is lazy and eats too much.

am i the only person that finds these reality shows lame. if it isn’t the “fattest fuck”, it’s some dancing with the stars crap. I can actually feel my estrogen levels rising just writing this.

i love the “good looking in a wholesome… non- threatening way”.

i watch that show for a good laugh. i call it the “Fattest Fuck” though.

last night they “competed” for a year’s worth of groceries. wtf?? if there’s a group that doesn’t need a years worth of groceries, it’s that crew.

i find it funny that our society see’s this sort of crap as some sort of courageous thing. It’s a group of people that were lazy and ate too much.

How about a show about people that actually live a healthy lifestyle and workout on a regular basis. that won’t happen becuase the average tv watcher is lazy and eats too much.

am i the only person that finds these reality shows lame. if it isn’t the “fattest fuck”, it’s some dancing with the stars crap. I can actually feel my estrogen levels rising just writing this.

Wanting a powerlifter is entirely for ratings. If they slim any legitimate powerlifter down, he’s going to look impressive as hell… which the public will see as the result of the show, not all the years he’s been competing in powerlifting.

that was also my first thought machiajelly, i wouldnt recomend any powerlifter to go on that show, the producers and editors will just twist it to their own agenda

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
Wanting a powerlifter is entirely for ratings. If they slim any legitimate powerlifter down, he’s going to look impressive as hell… which the public will see as the result of the show, not all the years he’s been competing in powerlifting. [/quote]

exactly!!

But any legitimate powerlifter would NEVER do a bullshit show like that. The way they go about getting the weight off these slobs would only make the powerlifter loose a big part of their hard earned muscle. they would probably end up looking really small and still flabby.

When the whole point of the show is to lose “weight” the fastest, you are going to lose everything… not just fat. that’s why i would love to see what these people look like a year or two after they leave the show. the way they go about weight loss on the show is not very condusive to long term weight loss. but it’s all about the here and now with these shows… not long term health. that’s just boring.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i watch that show for a good laugh. i call it the “Fattest Fuck” though.
[/quote]

Same here. Watched it for laughs, but I always called it “Biggest Fatass”.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Thanks Lou. While I don’t qualify I think the heads up is pretty cool.

This is the “scene” as written by the producers:

GYM INT. Day:

(Good wholesome T-Man powerlifter working out with Bob.)

Bob: “OK-let’s do some deadlifts.”

T-Man: “There is not enough weight in the gym and I don’t think Jillian can move the chains.”

Bob: “You have a point. SPIN bike?”

[/quote]

…and at this point the powerlifter gets bored and eats Bob.

I hope they find a candidate, it could be highly entertaining.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

But any legitimate powerlifter would NEVER do a bullshit show like that. The way they go about getting the weight off these slobs would only make the powerlifter loose a big part of their hard earned muscle. they would probably end up looking really small and still flabby.
[/quote]

I can probably get my BMI over 30 pretty easily, just by eating sugar, drinking beer, and drinking a crap ton of water immediately before stepping on a scale. Maybe I should go on the show…

Too bad I look too threatening. I wouldn’t want to lose my muscle, anyway.

[quote]dianab wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:
Thanks Lou. While I don’t qualify I think the heads up is pretty cool.

This is the “scene” as written by the producers:

GYM INT. Day:

(Good wholesome T-Man powerlifter working out with Bob.)

Bob: “OK-let’s do some deadlifts.”

T-Man: “There is not enough weight in the gym and I don’t think Jillian can move the chains.”

Bob: “You have a point. SPIN bike?”

…and at this point the powerlifter gets bored and eats Bob.

I hope they find a candidate, it could be highly entertaining.
[/quote]

i’ve always wondered this… which one of the trainers is the guy??

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

But any legitimate powerlifter would NEVER do a bullshit show like that. The way they go about getting the weight off these slobs would only make the powerlifter loose a big part of their hard earned muscle. they would probably end up looking really small and still flabby.

I can probably get my BMI over 30 pretty easily, just by eating sugar, drinking beer, and drinking a crap ton of water immediately before stepping on a scale. Maybe I should go on the show…

Too bad I look too threatening. I wouldn’t want to lose my muscle, anyway.[/quote]

who uses BMI anyway?? that’s just another example of how fucking dumb these shows are. and what is a threatening look anyway? If you are a powerlifter, i would hope you have some sort of threatening look about you anyway. i think it’s code for- we want a socially acceptable metrosexual dude.

i would watch THAT show… but definitely not for the weight loss:)

I feel bad for the sucker they put on this show.

I bet they will find a fat dude who USED TO powerlift and play it like he IS a powerlifter (currently).

If there is a powerlifter who is that big; he is that big for a godam reason. To be big and strong and I bet it took him/her a LONG ass time to get there…and if they went on the show it would ONLY be to “be on TV”.

Shallowness ensues…

I once watched a whole season of “the most dumbest model” with my girlfriend; I just wanted to put that out there…