T Nation

The Bigger Faster Stronger Workout?

Is this workout on this site i tried the search but i couldnt find it could somebody please give me a link?

Not the response but don’t do the really high box squats tha HS football coaches make athletes do. It’s rediculously stupid.

www.biggerfasterstronger.com

Here’s a preview of the book that goes with the web site:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=ztcUOEdkmzYC&dq=bigger+faster+stronger&pg=PP1&ots=DyJi9joFwn&sig=9WZFwLBDR3rka-UHTkRsxikwEqM&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.ca/search?q=Bigger+Faster+Stronger+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPA8,M1

You can buy it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Faster-Stronger-Greg-Shepard/dp/0736048146

Stu

before i got into high school, it was doing that program, from what i heard it was a waste of time. More of a vomit producer. Only a few kids got strong but it was because of their trainer

[quote]ehsbeast73 wrote:
before i got into high school, it was doing that program, from what i heard it was a waste of time. More of a vomit producer. Only a few kids got strong but it was because of their trainer[/quote]

They change rep schemes too much IMO, and the high box teaches people that quarter squats are ok. Not to mention squatting like 5" down with 200% your normal squat max even on a box is asking for an injury.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Not the response but don’t do the really high box squats tha HS football coaches make athletes do. It’s rediculously stupid.[/quote]

I read their instructions on how to spot the high box squats, fucking hilarious. I didnt know BFS advocated team lifts. It says for the back spotter to “hold on firmly to the bar” and the side spotters to hold on but “not help lift”. lol, they also had guidelines of how much heavier your highbox squat should be then your parrelel squat. the simplest way to reduce it back to an acceptable level would be to get weaker spotters.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Not the response but don’t do the really high box squats tha HS football coaches make athletes do. It’s rediculously stupid.

I read their instructions on how to spot the high box squats, fucking hilarious. I didnt know BFS advocated team lifts. It says for the back spotter to “hold on firmly to the bar” and the side spotters to hold on but “not help lift”. lol, they also had guidelines of how much heavier your highbox squat should be then your parrelel squat. the simplest way to reduce it back to an acceptable level would be to get weaker spotters.[/quote]

no kidding. I think BFS is the direct reason I see 73675683568x quarter squats done by my schools athletes. It wouldn’t be a terrible program if they kept the rep schemes constant for longer periods of time, and did low box squats. I remember Some kid said he could nox squat more then me, I said ok. I did 315x4 on a parallel box. He picked up my box moved it and grabbed one of the 2’=2.5’ boxes and did 315x2. I told him to get the hell out of my rack so I could finish lifting. It’s an ego lift. nothing more. This is to be expected though. A lot of the “jocks” here play footballl and whatnot so they can say they do. 0-9 varsity football last season.

I help coach high school athletes during the summer, and the head coach uses the BFS program. While I have many disagreements with some of the details of the program, I think the basic template is pretty good.

You must keep in mind that BFS is not just about lifting, it also includes mobility, flexibility, and conditioning drills. The lifting program revolves around the bench press, squats, and cleans, along with their variations.

There is a lot of info on the website, and they even archive the old magazines, if you want the actual program you have to purchase it.

IMO, you will be better off doing Rippetoes SS or Bill Stars 5x5 and combining it with a good mobility warmup and some conditioning.

I felt this was a great program used with highschool atheletes. When i played football for my highschool it built the foundations of my strength, granted it did develope some bad habits on me (didnt get the A2G squat till after i bombed on my first PL meet cause of that habit) But I mean most people using it these days are adolescents going through puberty and are new to the iron game, so the avid use of compund lifts makes gains and size for them fairly easy.

The basic template seems ok to me, but some of the stuff is stupid. For instance the team effort box squats is fucking retarded. The 2 inches above parrelel box squats arent so bad, they should have the kids using different heights. the box they sell looks way to small. It looks like if I tried to squat on it I would have to stand 1-2 feet away or risk missing it or knocking it over. Seriously the thing looks like it has an 8" by 10" area to sit on.