The Big Shave?

When bodybuilders compete, I know they shave\wax\chemically remove hair from their body. Is there a certain product\technique that would not make the hair grow back thicker? I would like to compete one day in a show, but I wouldn’t like having extra thick hair on my arms because I had to shave them? Any suggestions?

That’s a myth. I shave off and on and in the 5 years I’ve been doing it it’s never come back any thicker that when I first started doing it.

I don’t believe this. I was a curious 10 year old one day and decided I’d shave my legs, don’t ask I don’t even know. The thing is my legs grew back much hairier.

Pour milk on it and let a cat lick it off.

[quote]Thewannabe wrote:
I don’t believe this. I was a curious 10 year old one day and decided I’d shave my legs, don’t ask I don’t even know. The thing is my legs grew back much hairier.[/quote]

Yes, we call that “puberty”.

[quote]Thewannabe wrote:
I don’t believe this. I was a curious 10 year old one day and decided I’d shave my legs, don’t ask I don’t even know. The thing is my legs grew back much hairier.[/quote]

Does your face look Chewbacca’s? You probably shave that nearly every day.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Thewannabe wrote:
I don’t believe this. I was a curious 10 year old one day and decided I’d shave my legs, don’t ask I don’t even know. The thing is my legs grew back much hairier.

Does your face look Chewbacca’s? You probably shave that nearly every day.[/quote]

Duh, man. Everyone knows that it’s a cure for baldness, as well.

What about facial hair? Seems like the longer you shave, the thicker the hair gets…

[quote]chrisa1002 wrote:
What about facial hair? Seems like the longer you shave, the thicker the hair gets…[/quote]

When was the last time you saw a 70 year old man with 5 inch wide stubbles? Never?

That’s because it’s a myth. Hair does not grow thicker when you shave it. Only reason for it to seem thicker is because you cut the pointy tip off which is slightly thinner than the “middle” of the hair.

Get it waxed off if you want it to seem thinner, then a brand new hair will grow out. Waxing stings/hurts a bit though.

It is time to kill this myth once and for all.

When you shave your hair, it does NOT make it grow back thicker. It just appears that way.

Why?

Because when a hair is unshaven the tip is shaped like this: /\

There is not alot of surface area on the tip, thus it appears lighter and feels softer.

When you shave a hair and it grows back, the top is shpaed like this: ___

It has more surface area, making it appear darker and feel “stubbly”

Once it grows back out, the hair will be the same color and thickness it was before you shaved.

You’ve convinced me. :slight_smile:

Laser hair removal is a WONDERFUL thing! www.idealimage.com

My brother has laser treatments done. He had to go back periodically over a year, which was funny because I guess certain follicles were more stubborn than others, and his chest hair would grow in and create the impression of stripes across his torso (1 stripe of hair, 1 of skin, 1 of hair …)

S

A guy I work with is convinced his hair line is receeding because the lady who cuts his hair cuts it too high in the front - so now it’s not growing back in all the way.

I just don’t have the heart to tell him…

[quote]koots wrote:
A guy I work with is convinced his hair line is receeding because the lady who cuts his hair cuts it too high in the front - so now it’s not growing back in all the way.

I just don’t have the heart to tell him…[/quote]

He may not be completely wrong. I still have a scar on my head from where some barber was trying to edge me up when I was a kid. Apparently, he needed to lean on the razor with enough force to cause my skull to be edged up as well.

He was clearly a perfectionist. He damaged the connective tissue beneath my scalp so there is a small indentation where the scar is. The same guy (obviously, as a kid my mother chose the barber) over years continued cutting my hairline farther and farther back. It also quit growing in some of those places.

The moral? Choose a barber who isn’t an idiot…and parents just don’t understand.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
My brother has laser treatments done. He had to go back periodically over a year, which was funny because I guess certain follicles were more stubborn than others, and his chest hair would grow in and create the impression of stripes across his torso (1 stripe of hair, 1 of skin, 1 of hair …)

S
[/quote]

It takes up to nine treatments to completely remove the hair. This is why it is done at 8-10 week intervals because your hair grows in approximately 8-10 week cycles. While some is growing, other hair is “hibernating.” This process will usually end up taking a full year to elminate all the hair.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
koots wrote:

I just don’t have the heart to tell him…

He may not be completely wrong. I still have a scar on my head from where some barber was trying to edge me up when I was a kid. Apparently, he needed to lean on the razor with enough force to cause my skull to be edged up as well. He was clearly a perfectionist. He damaged the connective tissue beneath my scalp so there is a small indentation where the scar is. The same guy (obviously, as a kid my mother chose the barber) over years continued cutting my hairline farther and farther back. It also quit growing in some of those places.

The moral? Choose a barber who isn’t an idiot…and parents just don’t understand.[/quote]

scar tissue = permanent. cutting your hairline farther back = not permanent.

Sorry, man, I hate to break it to you. The hairline does NOT get farther back because of how a person gets his hair cut. You just have too many birthdays.

[quote]koots wrote:

scar tissue = permanent. cutting your hairline farther back = not permanent.

Sorry, man, I hate to break it to you. The hairline does NOT get farther back because of how a person gets his hair cut. You just have too many birthdays.[/quote]

Actually, my hairline is irrelevant and has been for years. I have shaved my head since freshman year of college. The point being made to you is that it is possible for there to be damage and for hair to be lost in certain areas. That means, like was already stated, he may not be completely wrong.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Thewannabe wrote:

Yes, we call that “puberty”.[/quote]

lol