The 'Big Man' Stance

“ILS” Imaginary Lat Syndrome is real. I’ve seen small guys all the time, with the elbows flared way out from the sides. A noticeable conscious effort to maintain that position.

So sometimes people look puffed up, but their just “swole” if you know what Im saying. And you don’t have to be big to be swole. Swole and jacked will result in arms setting up a little higher.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
And you don’t have to be big to be swole.[/quote]

Gee, actually, you do.

[quote]big balls wrote:
I am new to T-Nation and have recently bulked from 154lbs to 190lbs over the past 9 months, mainly using 5 rep training. More recently my family have commented on the way i walk, with my arms flaring out from the sides as some people tend to walk pretending to be big. I am not, but my lats have grown so much that my arms just rest like that pushed out from the lats.

I’m thinking of cutting down on lat-pulldowns so i won’t walk around like a freak. It might also be an indicator that close grip underhand pulldowns are quite effective too. My parents think i put on that posture and i hope it doesn’t look that way to other people. But i want to be strong and big so should i really care what people think?[/quote]

Did you really just write that at 190lbs you are so afraid of looking like a freak that you may have to cut back on lat exercises? At 190lbs? 190? ILS.

It’s also a possibility that some of these people are doing to much benching and not enough rowing, resulting in an internal shoulder rotation. The palms facing back is a common sign of shoulder rotation.

it’s also possible that some of these people are cops.

prof-X.

If someone is always running around on full-power, their arms will rest with the elbows out a little more.

Also they will be “swole”.

Thats what I was saying, you know what i mean.

Some of the BB’ers do have lats and stuff up underthere shoving the arms up so it physically cant go down.

But take some footballers, boxers, etc with closer to regular chest measurements, if they are more jacked the arms are at a higher natural resting point and it has nothing to do with them doing it on purpose.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
prof-X.

If someone is always running around on full-power, their arms will rest with the elbows out a little more.

Some of the BB’ers do have lats and stuff up underthere shoving the arms up so it physically cant go down.

But take some footballers, boxers, etc with closer to regular chest measurements, if they are more jacked the arms are at a higher natural resting point and it has nothing to do with them doing it on purpose.[/quote]

You are correct. Bruce Lee had enormous lats and was quite often strutting around like a prairie chicken in a certain Kung Fu stance.

D

[quote]swivel wrote:
it’s also possible that some of these people are cops.

[/quote]

Junior! I love that show.

or some of these people could be mick jagger.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
prof-X.

But take some footballers, boxers, etc with closer to regular chest measurements, if they are more jacked the arms are at a higher natural resting point and it has nothing to do with them doing it on purpose.[/quote]

No, if someone doesn’t have the muscle to push their arms out so they actually walk or stand with their elbows out naturally, then they are doing it on purpose. There is no reason for some small guy to walk around like that and has nothing to do with being “swole” or whatever other word you want to use for somebody flexing their muscles so they look bigger than they really are. That is called ILS. Unless someone is big enough that their lat muscles are what is pushing their arms out, it is IMAGINARY…LAT…SYNDROME. It doesn’t really exist and chances are, the person doing it really thinks they are GI-NORMOUS.

“Swole” use to mean big and built. When the hell did the meaning change to include every small guy who flexes?

[quote]swivel wrote:
or some of these people could be mick jagger.[/quote]

Yup, Mick is nailing the aforementioned Swole, Angrey Chicken, ILS, Big Man, pose in that pic.

D

You like onyx bigragoo? “The mad author of anguish, my language, polluted, onyx is heavyweight and still undisputed!” Classic shit

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
You like onyx bigragoo? “The mad author of anguish, my language, polluted, onyx is heavyweight and still undisputed!” Classic shit[/quote]

That is a high school classic for me.

Im using the word swole as to mean you have your full pump. When you have your full pump your step will be crisper, and your arms a bit more swole.

What you want, the dude to hunk his shoulders forward, tuck his neck and head forward like a turtle, and walk with a limp?

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Im using the word swole as to mean you have your full pump. When you have your full pump your step will be crisper, and your arms a bit more swole.

What you want, the dude to hunk his shoulders forward, tuck his neck and head forward like a turtle, and walk with a limp?[/quote]

Dude, I think I’m pretty big and I don’t walk like that (at least, not that I’m aware of). Some little guy who just lifted weights is NOT so “swole” that they can’t put their arms by their sides. That is exactly what we are talking about. I don’t care how pumped you are, if you don’t have big lats, you are FAKING IT.

Lee Haney can walk like that. Flex Wheeler could have walked like that. Some guy barely breaking 200lbs at average height is living a dream.

Yes, the bigger you get, the more you will have to change how you carry yourself. That is just the way things go. However, taking up 3 times the space you need while blaming it on a pump is ridiculous.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
big balls wrote:
I am new to T-Nation and have recently bulked from 154lbs to 190lbs over the past 9 months, mainly using 5 rep training. More recently my family have commented on the way i walk, with my arms flaring out from the sides as some people tend to walk pretending to be big. I am not, but my lats have grown so much that my arms just rest like that pushed out from the lats.

I’m thinking of cutting down on lat-pulldowns so i won’t walk around like a freak. It might also be an indicator that close grip underhand pulldowns are quite effective too. My parents think i put on that posture and i hope it doesn’t look that way to other people. But i want to be strong and big so should i really care what people think?

Frenchy Please…(I;m a french fucker too so I can say that). There is no way you are so big you worry about the way you walk yet.

You WILL naturally tend to walk more like a bulldog…not to seem big, but your body simply cannot move with the same exact symetical movements with 40 lbs of new muscle.

[/quote]
Well i might not be that big but when you consider that my legs are like a 14 year old school girls my upper body holds most of the weight. Ive only just started super squats to redress the problem. I dont look massive but i aint got no syndrome. I’m just making the point that fairly big lats can make you look like a prick.

Ain’t?..

You are not french…

when i’m thinking swole,
i’m thinking muscleteen.

From personal observation, most people have horrible posture and walk without grace.

Many women have a hunched forward posture and are very frail looking.

Most guys have ILS and bench three times a week with the occasional lat pulldown.

Chin up, shoulders back, traps relaxed. Feet should face forward or slightly angled out.

A ‘big guy’ without proper posture and gait is unaesthetic in my eyes.

[quote]swivel wrote:
when i’m thinking swole,
i’m thinking muscleteen.[/quote]

I cant stop laughing out loud everytime i see that pic. awesome