T Nation

The big lifts

Hi, I was reading that teens(im 18)should focus on the big lifts like bench, deadlifts, squats, power cleans, dips, and chins. I work the following exercises in as followes, mon=chest&shoulders(bench and push press), tues=quads(squats)wed=off, thur=back(chins&rows)fri=hams(deadlift&stiffleg)sat=off, sun=repeat. The problem is were to put power cleans. i think there a great exercise and will help me alot for baseball. Ive been doing this workout for a week and have been doing 5x5 for the major exercises using the same weight and if i get all 5x5 i add 2-5 lbs. I recovery very well and i eat really good. Does any body recommend any thing for adding strength and size or if any thing needs changed. thanks.

personally i would put them first on both tuesday and especially friday, keep reps to around 3 per set…

Power cleans are mostly a pulling exercise so you could trade deadlifts for them, or do them with your push presses (do clean & press instead of press from the rack).

Do your power cleans before the deadlifts. And don’t use 5x5 with power cleans. ESPECIALLY if you’re unfamiliar with them. Have you thought about snatches?

Recommendations? Well, there’s really not enough information to be very specific, but how about core work? What are you doing for your midsection?

Otherwise, the six main exercises are good. 5x5 is fine (except for the PC). I’m impressed by your inclusion of push presses. You could even tag these on to your power clean workout. Example:PC from the floor, PC from the hang, PPx5. From time to time I’ll go 2PC:2FS:2PP and mix it up from there. Once your technique is up to par, there’s plenty of room to get creative!

Oh, and take Sundays off. A little time with Faith and family can do wonders for your performance!

R.

COACH POLIQUIN SAYS IT IS OK TO DO POWER CLEANS AND SQUATS IN THE SAME WORKOUT AS LONG AS YOU DO THEM FOR LOW REPS.
HOPE THIS HELPS

*Note from Mod- Please do not type in all caps. This is considered “screaming” and very rude. It’s also hard to read.

I would personally like to see you have a bit more frequency in terms of how often you work different bodyparts. Why not put Back together with your Chest/Shoulders workout, and put squats and power cleans on another day. You could work out M,W,F and alternate workouts each time. This way you’d train each bp every 4 days instead of 6. However, if your current level of frequency is working for you, then continue on with it. Good Luck!