T Nation

The Big 3 Deadlift..Squat..

And Bench…can I always incorporate these work outs in my routines or should I switch them out for another work out once in a while?

Switch them out, or your body will get a been there done that attitude.

Bill. Starr. 5x5.

any suggestions on replacement work outs to further increase deadlift squat and bench?

SLDL, Front Squat, Incline Bench, Dumbbell Bench?

Pull-overs, Good-Mornings, Rows, Cleans, Snatches, Push-Press, Incline Bench Press, Pull-ups, Dips, Use of the Land Mine, and isometric versions of the deadlift and bench press will make all of your lift numbers go up. I’m sure the westside barbell company website has some good workouts you could use if you’re an aspiring powerlifter.

There are so many variations to these. I think you should incorporate as many as you can.

I mean for benching you have: incline, decline, and flat versions you can do with barbells or dumbbells. That’s 6 differen exercises. You have barbell and dumbbell pullovers which in my opinion are incredible compound exercise.

Squating you have front squats, back squats, squats with a plate under your heels, hack squats, sumo squats, box squat, ski squat, pile squat, bulgarian squat, jump squat and the list goes on.

Dead lifts you have stiff leg dead lifts (barbell or dumbbell), stiff leg stiff back dead lifts (barbell or dumbbell), traditional dead lifts, sumo dead lift, romanian deadlift, and more.

There are endless possibilites. Plus there are variations that mix some together like clean and press. Right now I’m doing QD but after QD ill be going to TBT and I would be incorporating a different version of each of these into my workout 3 times a week.

So like day 1 normal squat, romanian dead lift, incline DB press. Day 3 sumo squat, sumo dead lift, and flat DB press. Day 5 front squat, good mornings, and decline DB press.

Something like that. And for week 2 it would be different and week 3 I would use what I used in week 1 that way each week feels fresh and new. But you don’t have to take my word for it. I’m not that experienced I’ve just read a lot that’s all.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Pull-overs, Good-Mornings, Rows, Cleans, Snatches, Push-Press, Incline Bench Press, Pull-ups, Dips, Use of the Land Mine, and isometric versions of the deadlift and bench press will make all of your lift numbers go up. I’m sure the westside barbell company website has some good workouts you could use if you’re an aspiring powerlifter. [/quote]

What is a landmine?

Stefan Korte’s 3x3 program has only the big 3 in it. You squat, bench and deadlift 3 times a week. Does it work? Some who have used it have totalled over 2200lbs.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Stefan Korte’s 3x3 program has only the big 3 in it. You squat, bench and deadlift 3 times a week. Does it work? Some who have used it have totalled over 2200lbs.[/quote]

This is right on. Korte’s system, Sheiko’s system, Robert Roman, Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe, and many others use the same exercises year round. There’s no one right way to do things; figure out the style of training that moves you and works for you.

I would add that Korte has advocated using the 3x3 system year round, which means not only do you not switch out the competitive lifts, but that those lifts are the only lifting you perform all year. And yes, it works very well for many lifters.