T Nation

The Best Westside Approach?

So Joel’s article couldn’t have come at a better time, I think … I am just getting back to a Westside based program and was planning on use WSFSB again as it has worked for me in the past.

My question is, which would be most beneficial in adding size: a DE day as standard Westside protocol dictates (and Joel mentioned in his article) to help work on speed development which ultimately leads to greater power, or a repitition day as prescribed by DeFranco to work for general hypertrophy?

Like most I am lifting just to generally get bigger and stronger, no specific goals in BBing or PLing. I have been lifting for quite a while so I think my CNS is developed enough to benefit from DE days, but at the same time I do not have any bands or chains to aid me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Don’t think too much, brother. Try both and see which one works better for you and your goals.

What I would recommend is that you train using a typical Westside DE day for 3 weeks, take a rest week, then train for 3 weeks using a repetition day, take a rest week, repeat.

You’ll find out real quick which one works better for you, and you may just get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll do just that. I’ve used the repition day in the past and had good results. I guess I’ll give DE days a go for a month and see what happens. I guess it just takes a fresh perspective to realize how simple the situation can be.