The Best Multi-Vitamin?

I’m a competitive athlete and weight lifter. I’ve been taking vitamin worlds mega-vitamin / ultra vitamin. Not at same time though, I’ve tried them both. Can anyone that has experience/knowledge recommend a good multi-vit? I think there are better forms of multi-vitamins than those, especially for someone who does strenuous activities that are hard on the body. I currently take Power Drive, Surge, Grow!, and fish oil. Thanks

This question gets asked about once a month. Some of the more knowegeble people in here recommend the Life Extentionalist brand (do a web search). Others simply recommend whatever the hell they’re taking. I take GNC’s mega-man.

There was a thread on this recently. Here are some of the important things that I remember.

Take enough Vit C - 1/2 grams divided into 2-3 servings per day

Vit E, Get enough Zinc, Selenium as well.

Twinlab’s Daily 2 without Iron is pretty good to start with.

Gary

[quote]chints wrote:
There was a thread on this recently. Here are some of the important things that I remember.

Take enough Vit C - 1/2 grams divided into 2-3 servings per day

Vit E, Get enough Zinc, Selenium as well.

Twinlab’s Daily 2 without Iron is pretty good to start with.

Gary[/quote]

Forgot to mention Life Extention Foundation’s (LEF.org) multi-vitamin. Those are pretty good but a little pricy.

What’s a good multi on the CHEAP side?

Student :frowning:

Dev, I’m a student too and I’ve been looking around for something reasonable. So far, Twinlab’s Daily Two seems like a good deal. I’ll probably supplement with some additional Vit C.

Daily Two costs about $30 for a 3 month supply. Not too bad.

Gary

go for organic! most vitamins are synthetic (isolated individual nutrients in a fine powder, then pressed into a pill). organic “should” be much more bioavailable and should contain phytonutrients, where synthetic don’t. bascially, it’s the difference between white bread and whole wheat bread.

I’ve heard Cooper’s Complete is good and Double X (only sold through Quixtar).

TS

for what its worth, the Kirkland (Costco brand) multi got the Consumer Reports top rating. Like I said though, for what it’s worth. But they’re cheap.

I like Flintstones 'cause they taste good:-)

USANA is the best supplement/vitamin available in the market.period.

[quote]Mack wrote:
Can anyone that has experience/knowledge recommend a good multi-vit?[/quote]

I take and recommend http://www.newchapter.info/product/pro_nutrient.lasso?-database=NC_Products&-layout=Product&-response=%2Fproduct%2Fproduct.lasso&-recordID=53&-search Anything by New Chapter brand is very good.

First read this.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462090

I second the nomination for USANA. They aren’t cheap, but if you’re going to save dollars then cut out the beers for a week and spend more on your health.

USANA Multi and Antioxidant Contents - Compare with those listed in the above article.
http://www.usana.com/products/sfacts/SFACTS_USNUPRODUCT_20454.html

USANA Chelated Mineral Contents
http://www.usana.com/products/sfacts/SFACTS_USNUPRODUCT_20590.html

When I can afford it I get the so called “life extension mix” tablets.

This group sponsors research on aging and diseases associated with aging using membership and vitamin sales as a means of supporting that.

One complaint I have heard, and it is valid, is that they get a little too into the sales aspect of things with their articles cosidering they represent themselves as a scientific organization.

They also spend a lot of time and effort confronting the FDA with respect to making sure supplements remain available to consumers.

If you make good coin it is worth considering becoming a member and using their products to help support them. You don’t have to be a rabid “life extensionist” to appreciate some of the things they do.

vroom:

I agree completely with your post!

has anyone tried any universal products? like animal pak w/ the aminos and digestive enzymes added on top of the vitamins/minerals? they sure talk a big game?!

thanks,
TS

I use GNC Mega-Men. If anyone knows anything better I 'm open.

I’m with vroom 100%!

“LEF” really is at the forfront in developing Protocols for disease prevention and treatment, using supporting literature as their basis.

THEY ARE VERY SUPPLEMENT ORIENTED!..So you have to be aware (as many in “The Nation” are) that you HAVE to have diet and lifestyle in check FIRST, or the best supplements in the world won’t be worth Jack…

One question, vroom:

“They also spend a lot of time and effort confronting the FDA with respect to making sure supplements remain available to consumers”

I hope that you are looking at that as a positive…because I think it is. This fight has been, and continues to be, VERY expensive…and if someone is not in there fighting (like LEF, Senator Hatch of Utah, and a few others), OTC supplements will soon be a thing of the past.

So…if you can…support “LEF”…their supplements are really “Top of the Line”…

(By the way…"Life Extension Mix"is my answer to the question!)

Mufasa

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
has anyone tried any universal products? like animal pak w/ the aminos and digestive enzymes added on top of the vitamins/minerals? they sure talk a big game?!

thanks,
TS[/quote]

Ive been using the Animal Pak for almost a year and I personally feel they are pretty good (not that Im an expert) but I feel good while on it. they are relatively cheap compared to some of the stuff out there. one company Ive also used and would recommend is Austin Nutritional Research. check 'em out http://www.anrvitamins.com/

Now Foods has a good multi. It’s called EcoGreen and they cover all of the vitamin requirements and then put in some healthy greens as an added benefit. Great for those of us that don’t get enough veggies in.
Check them out!

For someone who trains pretty hard and at high intensities, would using a “regular multi”, along with fish oil and extra vit-c suffice? Or is there a “special blend” of more or better anti-oxidents in a multi-vit catered to someone like myself? Thanks.

check out ultimate nutritions super complete multi. best basic supplement i take!