T Nation

The Best Fish to Eat

Which of the commonly and easily found fish contain the most omega 3s? A grocery store near me has some good prices on fresh (as north Texas can get) fish. Also, if you know of a good ubiquitous frozen solution too, that’d be great.

I think my store has tilapia, rainbow trout, catfish, salmon, and some others I can’t think of off the top of my head. I will likely be doing a rub on the fish then baking it more often than anything else. I don’t have easy access to a grill thanks to local ordinances for apartment complexes.

Thanks!

I believe Atlantic Salmon is >.

Looking at my fish oil pills ingredients, it’s got anchovy, bonito, and sardine. Those, and maybe mackeral, might be cheap choices. I’d check prices per pound/ounce and see how it works out.

Wild caught Salmon. Farm raised has a different fat profile due to their diet.
I think baramundi might be too, with lower mercury levels (if you are worried about that at all), but I might be wrong on that. Google - it’s not just for pr0n anymore.

This is what I eat on a regular basis. Usually for my pre-bedtime snack. Each (14.75) can has seven servings at 13g protein a serving. I usually eat half a can a night which yields about 45.5g protein and 2,548mg Omega-3 fatty acids. A can here costs about $4.50 -$5.00. (the pink salmon has about 200-300 more fatty acid grams per serving, but doesn’t taste as good.)

It’s cheaper than buying the filets and since I’m nowhere near a coast, filets at the market can be questionable (and most are farm raised). I would prefer to cook filets, but this is too damn convenient and more cost effective for frequent eating.

Mix in a bit of creamy ceasar dressing and it really enhances the flavor.

For cheap fish, mackeral, sardines, and herring have the highest relative levels of Omega-3’s. Sardines are dirt cheap too.

For Salmon, unless you can be assured it’s wild, get canned. Generally canned Salmon is Wild and unless it’s blatantly stated otherwise, the ‘fresh’ Salmon is usually farm fresh.

What are the thoughts on Tilapia? I have gone to many markets near my home and it seems to be one of the cheapest and most easily found.

The cheap Talapia you see is farm raised most likely. Nothing wrong but lacks certain bennifits due to what they eat. I like it b/c it is cheap and taste good.

[quote]james28 wrote:
What are the thoughts on Tilapia? I have gone to many markets near my home and it seems to be one of the cheapest and most easily found.[/quote]

From what I heard recently not a very health choice. I don’t remember the specifics but I believe I recall a poor nutritional profile of some sort.

D

Edit: here’s some info on it:

"Baptist Medical Center (Chilton et al, 2008), suggests that farm-raised tilapia may be worse for your heart than eating bacon or a hamburger. Tilapia has gained popularity in recent years as people try to pay attention to Omega 3 fatty acids by eating fish regularly.

Because farm-raised tilapia is often one of the most affordable varieties of fish available at the supermarket, tilapia has increased in popularity as consumers try to merge healthy eating habits with shrinking grocery budgets. Tilapia is easy to raise on fish farms because they thrive under a variety of conditions. Tilapia also do very well on inexpensive foods. This may be the root of the problem. Often, farm-raised tilapia are fed corn-based foods that are high in harmful Omega 6 fatty acids and arachidonic acid. The tilapia stores these arachidonic and Omega 6 fatty acids in its tissues for you to eat when you buy them in a store. "

Sounds like another case of harm due to mass production.