T Nation

The Best Bands

Over the fifty or so years of Rock music I would say that the best solo acts have come from America but what about bands? With The Beatles, The stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin etc. I would contest that the Brits have this section of popular music sewn up. Anyone disagree?

I 100% disagree with this statement.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
I 100% disagree with this statement.[/quote]

Disagreed as well, and in the same vein.

Disagree completely as well. But while you’re making your list of great British bands, go ahead and add Sabbath and Cream.

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Over the fifty or so years of Rock music I would say that the best solo acts have come from America but what about bands? With The Beatles, The stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin etc. I would contest that the Brits have this section of popular music sewn up. Anyone disagree?[/quote]

No one is going to be dethroning The Beatles and Zeppelin anytime soon. The combination of the huge musical talent, songs with meaning, longevity, and merely the fact that at this point they are music legends will prevent it.

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Over the fifty or so years of Rock music I would say that the best solo acts have come from America but what about bands? With The Beatles, The stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin etc. I would contest that the Brits have this section of popular music sewn up. Anyone disagree?[/quote]

I agree with you to a certain extent, and while I love Zeppelin and the WHO, (I really wasn’t a huge Stones fan) I would consider these bands to be among the most influential, as opposed to being the “best”.

Yeah, I also agree that Cream and Sabbath, HAVE to be in there as well, along with Pink Floyd.

Can the people who disagree, please elaborate on their opinion.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Can the people who disagree, please elaborate on their opinion.[/quote]

The Beach Boys, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sly and the Family Stone, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, Grateful Dead, The Velvet Underground, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Flying Burrito Brothers…

while not completely in the same context…

some of the best metal comes from europe and scandinavia.
e.g. Behemoth - Poland, Children of Bodom - Finland
none of which can even come close to Lamb of God (from my home town of Richmond VA right here in the states!)

Jump Stretch bands are the best bands out there.

Wait, what were we talking about?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

Wait, what were we talking about?[/quote]

well played.

Has no one ever heard of a little band from down under called AC/DC? I believe it’s an international law that you cannot have an action movie, sporting event(even rodeos and the T-ball games down at the park),

Or more than 4 commercials in a row without an AC/DC song. In the top 5 in sales in U.S. history and one of the top sellers worldwide.
Seen them a few times and they are the best live show. My favorite was in 1981 at Donnington Park.

I have also been to concerts by the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers, Eagles, Nile, and Deicide to name a few so I can make this argument.

[quote]silverblood wrote:
Has no one ever heard of a little band from down under called AC/DC? I believe it’s an international law that you cannot have an action movie, sporting event(even rodeos and the T-ball games down at the park),

Or more than 4 commercials in a row without an AC/DC song. In the top 5 in sales in U.S. history and one of the top sellers worldwide.
Seen them a few times and they are the best live show. My favorite was in 1981 at Donnington Park.

I have also been to concerts by the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers, Eagles, Nile, and Deicide to name a few so I can make this argument.[/quote]

I saw iron maiden during finals list year. I’m seeing metallica in a few months.

The Band
Fleetwood Mac
Kiss
The Beach Boys
Credance Clearwater Revival
ZZ Top
Santana

There are so many amazing band from all over the world. I always dislike it when people ask. What’s your band or song. Give me a break, I don’t ever know where to start.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
while not completely in the same context…

some of the best metal comes from europe and scandinavia.
e.g. Behemoth - Poland, Children of Bodom - Finland
none of which can even come close to Lamb of God (from my home town of Richmond VA right here in the states!)[/quote]

I see detazathoth hasn’t clicked back on this thread yet…

enjoy Metallica but try to see AC/DC. I hope to be at the GA. or NC dates

10/30/2008 7:00 pm Allstate Arena Rosemont, IL 11/1/2008 7:00 pm Allstate Arena Rosemont, IL
11/3/2008 7:00 pm Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, IN 11/5/2008 7:00 pm Palace of Auburn Hills Auburn Hills, MI
11/7/2008 7:00 pm Rogers Centre Toronto, ON
11/9/2008 7:00 pm TD Banknorth Garden Boston, MA 11/12/2008 7:00 pm Madison Square Garden New York, NY 11/13/2008 7:00 pm Madison Square Garden New York, NY 11/15/2008 7:00 pm Verizon Center Washington DC, DC 11/17/2008 7:00 pm Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA 11/19/2008 7:00 pm IZOD Center East Rutherford, NJ 11/21/2008 7:00 pm Schottenstein Center Columbus, OH
11/23/2008 7:00 pm Xcel Energy Center St. Paul, MN
11/25/2008 7:00 pm Pepsi Center Denver, CO
11/28/2008 7:00 pm General Motors Place Vancouver, BC 11/30/2008 7:00 pm Tacoma Dome Tacoma, WA
12/2/2008 7:00 pm ORACLE Arena Oakland, CA
12/4/2008 7:00 pm ORACLE Arena Oakland, CA
12/6/2008 7:00 pm The Forum Inglewood, CA
12/8/2008 7:00 pm The Forum Inglewood, CA
12/10/2008 7:00 pm US Airways Center Phoenix, AZ
12/12/2008 7:00 pm AT&T Center San Antonio, TX
12/14/2008 7:00 pm Toyota Center Houston, TX
12/16/2008 7:00 pm Philips Arena Atlanta, GA
12/18/2008 7:00 pm Time Warner Cable Arena Charlotte, NC

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:

The Beach Boys, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sly and the Family Stone, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, Grateful Dead, The Velvet Underground, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Flying Burrito Brothers…

[/quote]

You know what’s funny? I’ve played in a lot of bands and a lot of genres over the years. At gigs (rock, country, mix, oldies, classic, etc), the 2 bands songs that consistently and reliably always get the best reactions have been:

Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR

I can’t explain it-- something about those 2 band’s songs.

The Yardbirds.

The best isn’t always the most popular. Sure Zep and the Stones are great, but they aren’t even probably in my top 50 favorite bands. (Ok, maybe Zep is top 25)

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
SinisterMinister wrote:

You know what’s funny? I’ve played in a lot of bands and a lot of genres over the years. At gigs (rock, country, mix, oldies, classic, etc), the 2 bands songs that consistently and reliably always get the best reactions have been:

Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR

[/quote]

Sad thing is, CCR never got a number one hit.

[quote]streamline wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
SinisterMinister wrote:

Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR

Sad thing is, CCR never got a number one hit.[/quote]

true dat. bad moon rising is one of the best songs ever, if not the best

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

Wait, what were we talking about?[/quote]

See, that’s the only reason I opened this thread.

Are we the same person?

Also, EliteFTS is having a 25% off bands sale until monday at 11am.