T Nation

The Beginning: Lifting for Gymnastics/Martial Arts

Firstly, hey all :slight_smile: you seem to have a great community here, and an awesome site in general… So now i’m making the move from lurker to poster (you lucky people), as I take the initial steps towards my lifestyle change.

I’m in my second year of uni, and the last 2 years have taken a toll on my body… a diet of mainly ciggerettes and beer may be a luxury, but the fun wears off eventually, and all I’m left with are some baad habits… Although I’ve done Martial Arts for about 5 years and have taken up gymnastics recently, I’d like to use my uni gym as a focus point to really start to turn myself around.

So I’m 5’7 and around 69kg, and I have 2-3 days a week to base my routine around… But being a totaly newb when it comes to the gym in any real sense I’m stuck when it comes to building a solid routine and structure to train around… I’ve been poking around in a few topics and reading some articles and I’ve found a structure that I like:

Workout 1

Sets: 3

Reps: 5

Rest: 60 seconds between sets

Workout 2

Sets: 3

Reps: 8

Rest: 90 seconds between sets

Workout 3

Sets: 2

Reps: 15

Rest: 120 seconds between sets

I’ve got this from http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

I’ll be doing 6 exercises per workout, and breaking them down so workout 1 = arms and shoulders, workout 2 = legs and workout 3 = chest, back and core. And like the article says 4 compound and 2 single joint exorcises per workout. Does this sound like a good base to work from?

Any help and advice on specific exercises and the routine in general would be greatly appriciated :slight_smile: I don’t want massive gains in muscle, but I do want fairly substantial growth - just not so much it limits the full range of motion I’ll be needing in the other aspects of my life…

Thanks in advance to those that bothered to read my mindless dribble and for any help offered :slight_smile:

I’ve been doing something similar. I do notice one thing is that your workouts build up to higher reps, which I think is good for hypertrophy i.e. size and not overall strength. I’m not too knowledgable on the subject but I think that is how it goes. It might also be a little too focused for where you are at right now.

The program I would recommed is Rippetoe’s starting strength. It is a 5x5 program aimed at learning the lifts and building a base to work from. The lifts are all compound, which is what you are basically doing with a some supplementals. The movements are pretty important, and whatever workout you do the for the rest of your life will probably include at least one of them. You can find some info here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224.

The program I am doing currently doing is basically 1 day total body lifting, 1 day jump rope intervals, 1 day complexes/metabolic conditioning, 1 day rest. My goals are pretty similar to yours, get stronger, leaner, more flexible, more capable, and just in shape. Right now I’m focused more on leaning out and getting in shape conditioning wise than putting on muscle though.

Some other research sites I would recommend are www.beastskills.com and www.crossfit.com, both include gymnastics types skills.

Theres a lot of information out there, but hopefully that gives you some more options to look into. Its getting late, I have to fold a load of clothes, and plan my meals out for tomorrow, but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will try to be whatever help I can be.

To the OP:
I’m afraid you might have missed something. The article you linked showed a total-body workout, not[quote] so workout 1 = arms and shoulders, workout 2 = legs and workout 3 = chest, back and core [/quote].

Waterbury’s is a fine program, by the way.

Make sure you get a squat, a push, and a pull in each and every workout as a compound movement and you should be good.

I believe he makes recommendations in the article itself. You can probably pick and choose some exercises you like, and just do those.

Also, what’s your diet going to look like?

Chears Theuofh I’ll have a look at that program today, when I have time to read the whole thing …

I have no idea about the diet though, this is one of those things that confuses me massivly, although I know its important - this is where I become the most weak… I can live on nothing but bread for weeks, supplimenting with mainly alcohol and ciggerettes… These are bad habits that I need to seriously get rid of in order to start taking my training seriously.

[quote]Legeril wrote:I can live on nothing but bread for weeks, supplimenting with mainly alcohol and ciggerettes… These are bad habits that I need to seriously get rid of in order to start taking my training seriously.
[/quote]
Holy Hell, calling those bad habits is an understatement, I’d call it slow suicide. Read Berardi’s Seven Habits article to see what you should be doing. You really need to kick the alcohol, and the cigerettes should go as well, assuming you’d like to keep your lung capacity where it needs to be for any sort of athletic performance. If you have any questions after reading the seven habits, ask away.

Well thats pretty much the general idea, I’ve gotten to the point with my training now where it’s litteraly my lung capacity holding me back.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

The program I would recommed is Rippetoe’s starting strength. It is a 5x5 program aimed at learning the lifts and building a base to work from. more options to look into. Its getting late, I have to fold a load of clothes, and plan my meals out for tomorrow, but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will try to be whatever help I can be.
[/quote]

Not to nitpick, but Starting Strength is 3x5, not 5x5.

I would definitely second the recommendation to do it though. It’s a great basic, effective program that focuses on building a strong foundation and progression is built into it.

Sorry I was in a hurry when I typed that.