The Bed Thread

I’m in the market for a new bed; looking for ideas on mattresses. What do you guys sleep on? We’re interested in the Sealys - pillow top, memoryfoam top, posturepedic, etc., but I don’t want to break the bank. Thoughts/ recommendations? We spend almost a third of our lives sleeping, might as well make the bed a worthwhile investment!

Tuning that girl on top of a giant hamburger could very well be the cardinal purpose of my life…

How much are you willing to spend? What size do you need? If you are specific it would be better - if you want to blow a couple of grand, you can try the tempurpedic cloud or something.
Me - Sealy 7 lakes.

Sealy Posturpedic Extra Hard, Queen $1,000. I’ve had them for 4 years and haven’t even made a dent in the mattress. I also spent $60 to buy a mattress pad that is pretty awesome.

Well, this is my first endeavor into bed buying. Need a queen, preferably under $500. I believe there are frequent sales on mattresses at different outlets. Advice on where to buy, too, I guess is needed.

I sleep on a futon that is also my couch. That’s right, I sleep Fox Mulder style. Actually pretty comfy, and gives me an extra room to store crap.

Already been down this road. Turns out I just sleep on whatever mattress the fat chick I leave with at 2am has at her house.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/how_to_pick_a_mattress

<500$, Queen - I strongly recommend Sealey 7 Lakes. I bought it a couple of months ago for ~475$ and am pretty satisfied with it.

My king mattress was a freebie from Craigslist. Best damn mattress I’ve ever used. No idea why the guy was getting rid of it. He just wanted it gone (it was a curb alert). It probably would have been snapped up a lot sooner if it wasn’t located on Pendleton.

ok I did a quick look through all the posts and seriously. As my fiancee and I decided… never EVER cheap out on a mattress, find a way to put more money into it. my did and was the best investment of our relationship.

My best advice is to test out a few, see what you like the best and go with it. Spend 15-30 minutes on it and see what you like. It is gonna suck, but the higher the price, the more you will probably like it.

Do yourself s favour and shell out the extra dough. you will love yourself for it.

So far from this thread I’ve gathered 2 people who advocate going in the deep end, three who will sleep on anything, and one right in the middle with the Sealy 7 Lakes. And one cheeseburger bed.

I’ll investigate the 7 Lakes - never heard of it before. I see a lot of the pillow top and memory foam stuff in ads and am curious if they are worth what they say. I’ve slept on the sleep number beds before, too, and they are pretty sweet, but I’m def thinking they’re out of my price range.

One thing to keep in mind is that mattresses are ALWAYS on sale. So, if a mattress salesman tells you “I like you, you remind me of my cousin Vito, I’ll give you 50% off” it’s really nothing special.

Also, genuine savings can be had if you don’t care about the colour or pattern, and you can save even more if there is a small factory defect in it. The best mattress I ever had cost me 500 dollars…down from several thousand. It had a floral pattern, and someone in the factory put a single cigarette burn in it by accident.

Finally, don’t cheap out on your pillow or especially your sheets.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

Finally, don’t cheap out on your pillow [/quote]

One of the best pillows I’ve used was in a rental beach house in the Outer Banks. At the end of the week I checked the tag so I could find one for myself. It ended up having a K-Mart tag listed as $5.

I’m sure a lot of the comfort is subjective, but the markdown and pattern stuff is really good advice; thanks

[quote]majik wrote:
ok I did a quick look through all the posts and seriously. As my fiancee and I decided… never EVER cheap out on a mattress, find a way to put more money into it. my did and was the best investment of our relationship.

My best advice is to test out a few, see what you like the best and go with it. Spend 15-30 minutes on it and see what you like. It is gonna suck, but the higher the price, the more you will probably like it.

Do yourself s favour and shell out the extra dough. you will love yourself for it.[/quote]

This is so freaking true. I’m 35 and just bought my first new mattress. Spent $1500 for a king, Serta Cane River Limited and I swear I’ve never slept better. Used to both my wife and I would wake up sore and tired, now I sleep 1000 times better and neither of us are sore the next morning. Take a weekend, test some take as long as you need and spend more than you want to. It will so be worth it.

Real men sleep on a bed of nails.

I don’t of course… I’m not a real man but a dwarf, and sleep with 6 other dwarfs after Snow White tucks us in.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I don’t of course… I’m not a real man but a dwarf, and sleep with 6 other dwarfs after Snow White tucks us in.[/quote]

You rang?

When you’re young, you can sleep on anything. You really don’t need a high end support mattress until you get old, and everything hurts when you wake up.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I don’t of course… I’m not a real man but a dwarf, and sleep with 6 other dwarfs after Snow White tucks us in.[/quote]

You rang?[/quote]

Oh! Good day, Snow White!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

You rang?[/quote]

Oh! Good day, Snow White!

[/quote]

She’s only got eyes for you, ID!

I have a TempurPedic. It’s nice but I have actually tried to sell it. I find it too soft for my tastes but I am going to give it a little more time and put it on a nice box springs and frame as opposed to my old futon frame.

Not sure if that will help but the TP is pretty pricey. You can check for soem on CList but it’s a little gross buying a mattress off there…