The Bastard Program

Well, just to be clear, i’m referring to the program, not myself. Sorta kinda. Anyway, my plan is fairly simple and straightforward. It’s a mix of V-Diet Lite, Reactive Pump and Pulse Fasting. I’ll be training with a former LSU Strength and Conditioning coach. He is a friend, he is smart and he tells it like it is. Love it! I’ll only consume one healthy meal per day, usually in the evening. It will consist of a protein source (venison, beef, fish, fowl), vegetables and one source of carbs (sweet potatoes, rice, rice and more rice). No sweets. No milk. No wheat. No alcohol. My other meals will consist mostly of MAG-10 pulses throughout the day, a couple handfuls of nuts, Indigo and Finibar prior to training, Plazma, PW MAG-10, and healthy fats (FA3 and Carlson’s Liquid Fish Oil).

My goals are simple: Lose some blubber, add some muscle and continue to increase strength. And be healthy.

I will begin as soon as my packages arrive.

I’ll also be posting up some stats and a pic or two as we progress.

I am 39, but starring down the barrel of the big 4-0. I have about 5 years of continuous training experience (meaning no layoffs except for 2 minor surgeries…shoulder and back). But i have lifted on and off since the day i graduated high school back in May 1991. Don’t laugh you young whippersnappers!

I’ve not trained in a bodybuilding style mindset, but more of a “more GO than SHOW” template. I value function over form. But i do want to strip off some blubber, see some abs again and fill out some of these old muscle bellies.

I RAW totaled 1,100 pounds yesterday. I lifted barefoot, with shorts and a t-shirt. No belt. No wraps of any kind. No suits. Not even any tape around the wrists or ankles. The bench was my weakest (285, missed 295 when i pressed back into the pins. It was my third attempt, so no do-overs). Hit 370 on my back squat (yes, below parallel with an experienced lifter watching depth). And pulled 445, getting 455 over my knees but failing to lockout; started hitching and it was a no-go.

Some other “bests” for me include a 9’6" long jump. 17 full hang chin-ups. Dips with +120 over BW. 135 barbell curl X 6 reps with no hip thrusts. A 245 clean and jerk. Sumo deadlift for 27 reps at 275#. Bench bridges with 135 for 30 seconds. And 10 tire flips with 600+ pound tire. So, as you can see, i like varied lifts; lifts that are fun and that pit me against myself.

And for this project, I have no idea what my training sessions will look like. I just hope my packages arrive by Monday so i can implement the goodies into the first day of my new series. I was told it would be more lower body focused, so we shall see. I plan on lifting four days per week, on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

I’ll get measurements and a pic up this evening.

Have a great Friday!!!

Alrighty, here are some personal stats. All measurements were taken cold, no sucking in, flexing or tensing.

03 May 2013

Height: 74"
Weight: 211#
Neck: 16.25"
Shoulders: 52.25"
Upper Chest: 45.5"
Nipple Line: 44.25"
Upper Abs/ Under Pecs: 40"
Above Navel: 37.5"
Navel: 38"
Widest waist measurement (love handles): 38.625"
Butt: 42.25"
Right / Left Thigh: 23.25" / 23.25"
Right / Left Calf: 14.25" / 14.5"
Right / Left Ankle: 8.75" / 8.75"
Right / Left Upper Arm: 15.125" / 15"
Right / Left Forearm: 11.625" / 11.5"
Right / Left Wrist: 6.625" / 6.625"

And here is the photo. You have my apologies for any retinal damage!

Good evening, everybody! I’m still awaiting delivery of my supplements, so today was a trial run with some things i had on hand. So far, so good. But i did have a solid meal at breakfast (4 scrambled eggs in real butter, 3 slices of bacon) at 07:00. Protein shakes were consumed at 10:00 and 13:30. I had a serving of green tea along with a protein bar en route to the gym at 16:30. I had one post workout drink that i consumed pre, during and post workout. Its not what i typically utilize, but will have to do until FedEx gets here.

I started a new routine this evening. After warming up, i alternated between Flat Bench Press and Back Squats. Working sets/reps/weights tonight were 5 sets of 3 at 230# for BP and 5 sets of 3 at 305# for BS. This allows greater work to be done than just sets of straight bench followed by straight squats. Next up was Chest Supported Rows 4 sets of 6 at 135# on the bar, then 3 sets of 3 at 180#. I dropped the weight on the last set to 160#, as i failed on rep 3 of the second set. I also did Standing Ab Pulls 5 sets of 15 at 140# in between sets of Rows. I finished up with side lying breathing stretches for 2 sets of 30 seconds each. Total gym time was 1 hour 18 minutes from start to finish.

Supper was awesome! I grilled us a couple of bone-in ribeyes, baked a couple of small sweet potatoes, made homemade guacamole to dip our broccoli and cauliflower in, as well as two small, red bell peppers. I only had half of one ribeye (they were huge!) and one sweet sweet potatoe. So i have some leftovers for later this week, as my family didn’t eat all of what was prepared.

I plan on having a tablespoon of natty PB prior to bed. I also consumed Fish Oil at breakfast and dinner, a MVI and will have a dose of magnesium prior to bed. Other than that, i have a few hours to relax with my bride and boys. Unknowingly, they are all following a healthy, protein laden breakfast and a health, well-balanced supper.

Tomorrow will bring another day of the same. Hopefully FedEx will surprise me prior to workout time and i can hit those awesome periworkout nutritional supps! I peeked ahead to tomorrow’s session and it looks pretty beastly. Bring it on!

Well, this wasn’t the most fun day, but i survived. All was done according to plan until a work situation and then a shut down interstate put me two hours late for training. And thus eating. But, my FedEx packages arrived, so i did have Indigo-3G, Plazma and MAG-10 servings tonight.

07:00 Three eggs at breakfast with coffee American (that’s just coffee, no sweeteners, no cream). A protein shake at 10:30. Another shake at 13:30 along with a handful of walnuts. And then nothing until periworkout nutrition at 19:00, which is one Finibar and 1 serving of Plazma. I had two servings of Plazma during training. After getting home tonight i hit a serving of MAG-10, showered, washed dishes and heated leftover rice and ribeye. And licked my plate! I feel a bit bloated from 1.5 liters of “The Hulk” green Plazma (lime flavored; not bad at all, but a tad sweet. Will use less flavoring next time), but that will pass on through though, so no worries. I will hit my Elitepro Minerals prior to bedtime.

Training was tough. After a quick, full body warmup and some work-up sets, i hit Deadlifts at 5 sets of 3 reps x 370#. Next up were alternating sets of TRX Reverse Crunches (3 sets of 12 reps with a 2 second hold and out slowly) with Weighted Single Leg Back Extensions on a Glute Ham Bench for 2 sets of 5 each leg with a 3 second hold at the top. Next up were Cross Over Planks for 4 sets of 15 with a 2 second hold in extended position (X Over Planks are placing feet in TRX, assuming plank position, opening legs wide and holding in extended, open position) alternated with Weight Glute Ham Raises for 4 sets of 5 reps with 10 extra pounds. The last section was a Work Capacity Circuit consisting of 10 Ring Rows immediately followed by 10 44# KB Swings, then 9 and 9, then 8 and 8, etc. all the way down to 1 and 1.

I’m pretty spent. Will recover tomorrow and hit the gym again Thursday night. Looking forward to what is in store for me then! Tomorrow will be the first day of utilizing MAG-10 throughout the day, followed by Indigo-3G prior to supper.

Once you get your Biotest goodies, jot down your intake schedule here and I’d be glad to look it over. Your solid food choices look good so far.

Thanks so much, Chris. I will do that tonight.

I know i am just a couple of days into this project, but i have a really cool observation. My internal temperature (metabolism?) is on fire!! My wife had to get out of bed as she said i was radiating so much heat that she couldn’t sleep. And i have little sweat beds on my forehead right now. COOL! And its cool here this morning. Very neat to observe these little changes so quickly.

Y’all have an awesome day!

Daily Schedule incorporating Biotest Products

07:00 3 Eggs, scrambled
Coffee, black
1 teaspoon Carlson’s liquid fish oil

10:00 1 Serving MAG10
1 FA3 Capsule

13:00 1 Serving MAG10
1 FA3 Capsule

14:00 3 oz Lime Steak Strips
Mixed greens
Steamed rice

17:00 1 Serving MAG10

19:00 1 Serving Indigo

19:30 1 Large grilled chicken breast
2 Servings Steamed rice
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Bell Pepper
1/2 Avocado
2 Capsules FA3

18:30 1 Tablespoon Natural Peanut Butter
1 Teaspoon Carlson’s liquid fish oil
1 Serving Elite Pro Minerals

I’m pretty sore today from yesterday’s training session and pretty sleepy, as i didn’t sleep well at all last night. I’ve been hot and sweaty all day. My metabolism is working in overdrive it seems, even after only 3 days of this little experiment. Tomorrow is a training day, so I will have Indigo 30 minutes prior to a Finibar, which will be 1 hour prior to training. I will consume 1 serving Plazma 15 minutes prior to training and 2 servings Plazma during training. I will also use Creatine Malate in the workout Plazma. All my bottles are prefilled for tomorrow, so that all i need to do is add water.

Pretty good day today. Hunger has been much better today, so hopefully some of that psychological dependence on food is getting better. I pretty much kept the exact schedule as yesterday, except there was no early afternoon meal, just MAG-10 and a handful of almonds. I did take Indigo 30 minutes prior to a FINiBAR and one hour later had one serving of Plazma. I was a little tired by training time and strength was not quite where i wanted it to be, but i nutted it out. I consumed two servings of Plazma during my workout, which ran about 1 hour and 25 minutes tonight.

Training consisted of a side lying combo hip/quad stretch 2x30 seconds each side. I then alternated Front Squats (1 x 5 @ 215, 1 x 3 @ 215, 1 x 5 @ 205, 1 x 3 @ 205…so you can see my strength waning) with Push Presses ( 4 sets of 5 @ 155). Next up was Weighted Dips (6 sets of 5 @ BW + 25#) alternating with 60 feet of lunges done very slowly…ouch! Great quad pump though! Next was Reverse Push-Ups on a Bench (3 sets of 20 x BW) alternating with Dumbbell Upright Rows (4 sets of 8 @ 40#, do 1 rep left hand, 1 rep right hand, then both hands together, then 1 rep right, 1 rep left, together, etc. until 8 total reps/ side reached). Then 5 sets of 50 reps of Body Weight Donkey Calf Raises. Last was one set of 135# Leg Press Calf Raises. For 5 freaking minutes. I did need to stop many times during the 5 minute period, but man o’ man what an incredible pump to my skinny calves.

Dinner followed a serving of MAG-10. It was a large salad with a grilled chicken breast and lots of veggies. I am gonna get 2 tablespoons of Natty PB before bed to get a little calorie boost. Still sweating a good bit, but not crazy like the last two days. I feel really good, except losing that “strong” feeling during the start of my training session. But it got better as the session progressed.

Tomorrow should just be a run of the mill day, nothing special, just lots of MAG-10 and some good fats until supper time. I will train early on Saturday, good Lord willing, and use the weekend to rest up, celebrate my bride and my Mom with our families getting together. Of course there will be food… but i am grilling steaks, baking sweet potatoes, etc. All clean food.

Happy Saturday!

Friday, 10 May 2013, was a no training day. Just a straight up MAG10 spread over 4 servings and a healthy supper. And healthy fats throughout the day too.

Saturday has been awesome. Got up early, had coffee American, then Indigo. 30 minutes later a FINiBAR. Then 1 hour later a serving of Plazma and then started training about 10 minutes later. Today was Sumo Deadlifts (5 sets of 5 at 315#) alternated with Incline Bench (4 sets of 5 at 185#). Next up was weighted chins (6 sets total BW+ 25# for 4 sets of 5,5,4,3 and then i did 2 sets of 5 at BW only, but using the baseball grips [2 baseballs with a heavy duty eye hook screwed into each one. Hook the eye bolts to carabiners over the chinning bar. Awesome forearm work!]. I alternated 3 sets of Leg Lowers on Decline Bench for 3 sets of 5 after every other set of Chin Ups. Last was Barbell Curls. I never do these so it felt great (3 sets of 6 at 95#). Last was Sprints. Last time i worked these i went all out and strained a quad, hammy and ab muscle. SO…wisdom prevailed and i started off a bit slower. 10 Sprints of 50 yards, 30 seconds rest between each one. Starting at about half speed and working up to about 80%. Will increase sets and intensity a little bit each week over next 5 weeks. And lastly, the boxing coach asked me to move the 600# tire back to the corner of the parking lot to keep some peckerheads from flying through our outside workout area. So i did. Great finisher for today.

I did have a salad (no dressing) with lots of pulled pork on top about an hour PWO. The rest of the day will be MAG10 and heathy fats.

Have a great weekend and go put your love for your Momma’s into actions!!!

Good evening, all!

12 May 2013 was a great day. Some rest. Lots and lots of meat over two meals with MAG-10 in between. 1 sweet potato. 1 serving rice and also steak, chicken, salmon (smoked and grilled) and pork shoulder. Lots of greens in there too! Visited my parents and got an unexpected workout of cutting up a blown down sweet gum tree and removing it into the woods. I’ve got some sore shoulders today from all that!

13 May 2013 was a very nice day. 3 eggs at 0700. Then MAG-10 every 3 hours until 16:00 when i had Indigo-3G. Finibar at 16:30. First Plazma at 17:30 and workout started at 17:50. 2 more servings consumed during training and MAG-10 while i was grocery shopping afterwards. Sitting down to a filet (leftover from mom and dads!), a sweet potato and a spinach/avocado/broccoli salad.

Training 13 May 2013

1. Bench Press 5 x 4 @ 232.5
    alt with Squats 5 x 4 @ 310

2. Chest Supported Rows 4 x 6 @ 135, then 3 x 3 at 160
    alt with Standing Ab Pulldowns 5 x 15 @ 150

3. Calf Crampers 3 x 15 @ BW
    alt with Seated Calf Raise 3 x 30 @ 70
    alt with Blue Band Dorsi Flexion 3 x 12 each leg

4 Side Lying Breathing Stretches, 2 x 30 seconds/ side.

1 hour 23 minutes total training time. I am SORE! Need all that protein to kick in. Going to hit the hay early tonight and get some quality zzzz’s.

Great day today! Standard eggs, MAG-10 every 3 hours (with a handful of mixed nuts at 13:00) until 16:00 and then Indigo-3G, Finibar and Plazma periworkout nutrition protocol. After training i had rice, grilled salmon and a spinach salad. Very good day and the energy levels are climbing, my energy during training is much, much better than last week and the hunger pangs are truly diminishing during the day. i will continue this protocol at least throughout all of May.

Training for 14 May 2013:

Banded Leg Lowers for warmup

1. Deadlifts 5 x 4 @ 375 (all reps clean and much easier than last week)

2a. Reverse Crunch on TRX 3 x 12
2b. Weighted Single Leg Back Extensions on GHB 2 x 6 @ BW + 5#

3a. Crossover Planks on TRX 4 x 15
3b. Weighted Glute Ham Raises 4 x 5 @ BW + 10#

1. Work Capacity Circuit: Ring Rows and 44# KB Swings 10 and 10, 9 and 9, etc down to 1 and 1. No rest between rounds.

Total training time was 1 hour and 16 minutes. Loving this training block!

Typical day. No hunger pangs whatsoever! Did steak and shrimp for breakfast instead of eggs, then it was MAG10 at 10:00, 13:00, 16:00. Then Indigo @ 16:30 and Finibar at 17:00. First Plazma dose at 17:45 and started training at 18:00 and was done by 19:20 (consumed 2 servings of Plazma during this time).

Today was not a scheduled training day, but my oldest has a band concert tomorrow. There is no way i’s missing that, so i moved up training to today. Now, its not ideal for me to train 3 days in a row, but it is the best way to stay on track. Dinner tonight is strips and rice and spinach topped with blueberries and strawberries. The scales at the gym are DOA, so i will need to find a replacement scale by the weekend to get a current weight.

15 May 2013 Training:

Side Lying Quad/Hip Combo Stretch 2x30 seconds each side

1a. Front Squat 2 x 5 @ 215, 1 x3 @ 215 and on the fourth set something strange occured in my right hip/ thigh muscle. I have had two torn muscles in life (once playing baseball, once doing lunges; this doesn’t feel like a tear and there is no “lump” of muscle nor any bruising). Maybe its just a strain. Anyway, i will soak in some magnesium sulfate and hydrogen peroxide tonight and use some ibuprofen and biofreeze. No squats scheduled until next Monday, and the Sumo Deadlifts don’t stress my quads too much.
1b. Push Press 4 x 5 @165.

2a. Reverse Push Ups 3 x 25 x BW. Smoked these today.
2b. DB Upright Rows 1 x 8 @ 45; 3 x 8 @ 50.

3a. Donkey Calf Raises 5 x 50 @ BW + 35#
3b. Banded Toe Twists 3 x 12 @ Blue Band

1. Leg Press Calf Raise 225# x 5 minutes with rests taken as needed. OUCH!!

i skipped Dips and the Lunge Series, as i was supposed to do them right after my Front Squats and Push Presses. I’ll add my Dips back in to Saturdays session and will play it by ear on the lunges due to the strained (?) quad.

Total time was 1 hour 20 minutes. Will now have 2 off days from training to recovery and rest some. I will just be hitting my Protein Breakfast, 3 servings of MAG10 plus Indigo and Dinner the next 2 days.

Yep, that right lateral quad is partially torn. Got some bruising and a little “lump” there. Soreness in and around the site is much better. I’ve been consuming lots of protein, soaking in magnesium sulfate, using ibuprofen (1600 mg daily over two doses) and resting the leg. I’ll do the same again today and hopefully will be able to do my sumo deadlifts tomorrow. We will just have to play it by ear on the sprints, though.

Happy Saturday!

Trained this morning after rising early and doing some chores around here. Had a serving of Indigo, then Finibar 30 minutes later and then after an hour had 1 serving of Plazma. Had two servings of Plazma intra-workout. Will only consume MAG10 for the rest of the day today.

Training 18 MAy 2013:

1a. Sumo Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 320
1b. Incline Bemch Press 5 x 5 @ 190

2a. Weighted Chin Ups 4 x 5 @ BW + 25
2b. Leg Lowers on Decline Bench 3 x 5 @ BW with a 5 second eccentric on each rep

3a. Baseball Grip Pull Ups 2 x 5 @ BW
3b. Barbell Curls 4 x 8 @ 95

1. Sprints 16 x 50 yards with 30 sec rest between sprints. Done at 50-60% of max.
  • There is definitely a muscle tear in the right outer thigh. The sumo’s did not aggravate it at all. I went easy on the sprints and it didn’t seem to cause any negative outcomes. Will continue to rest it this weekend, soak it once more in magnesium sulfate and have copious amounts of MAG10. Hopefully by Monday i will be G2G.

Total workout time was about 90 minutes, as i didn’t push super hard today.

Updated Measurements. All measurements were taken cold, no sucking in, flexing or tensing.

18 May 2013

Height: 74"
Weight: 211# - 214#
Neck: 16.25" - 16.125"
Shoulders: 52.25" - 51. 375"
Upper Chest: 45.5" - 45.25"
Nipple Line: 44.25" - 44.75"
Upper Abs/ Under Pecs: 40" - 40.5"
Above Navel: 37.5" - 37"
Navel: 38" - 36.75"
Widest waist measurement (love handles): 38.625" - 38.25"
Waist: 38.625" - 37.5"
Butt: 42.25" - 42.25"
Right / Left Thigh: 23.25" / 23.25" - 23.75"/23.5"
Right / Left Calf: 14.25" / 14.5" - 14.75"/14.75"
Right / Left Ankle: 8.75" / 8.75" - 8.75"/8.75"
Right / Left Upper Arm: 15.125" / 15" - 15.5"/15.5"
Right / Left Forearm: 11.625" / 11.5" - 11.875"/11.625"
Right / Left Wrist: 6.625" / 6.625" - 6.75"/6.75"

Adding or subtracting all the data, I have GAINED 3 pounds and GROWN 1" total. But if i look at the data, i have LOST around the midsection, neck, shoulders; i have GAINED in the arms, legs and calves. That is good stuff for an almost 40 year old!

I will tweak my plan just a little. I will swap my eggs/steak at breakfast and add in another serving of MAG-10. I will do this for two weeks and see where we are at that point in regards to fat loss/ overall weight.

Oh, just to clarify, the measurements on the left are at the start of this little experiment; the numbers to the right are the most recent data.

Happy Monday!

For the last two days, i have not had a solid meal until the evening meal. I just used a serving of MAG-10 four times/ day until supper time. I must say, i like it! No hunger issues at all. I am still having the periworkout Indigo-3G, Finibar and Plazma as the previous two weeks. And a very healthy supper.

Training 20 May 2013

1a Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 235
1b Back Squat. Yea…that stupid torn quad came into play. I worked up to my target weight of 312.5, but had too much pain/burning on the eccentric to do my prescribed workload. So i backed off and did a few reps/ sets at 275. I’m disappointed that i couldn’t have it good to go by today, but it is what it is. I’ll keep working on my recovery techniques.
2a Chest Supported Rows 4 x 5 @ 160, then 3 x 3 @ 170
2b Standing AB Pulldowns 5 x 15 @ 150
3a Crampers 3 x 15 @ BW
3b Seated Calf Raise 3 x 30 @ 100
3c Dorsi Flexion 3 x 12 @ Blue Band
4 Side Lying Breathing Streches 2 x 30 seconds/ side

Had MAG10 serving about 45 minutes PWO and shrimp, Jasmine rice, spinach, apples, blueberries, blackberries and homemade guacamole for dinner about 1.5 hours PWO. Good stuff! Despite the right leg injury, i feel really, really good! Sleep is great, the constant sweating has pretty much ceased, although i am pretty warm. Clarity and mental focus is great. I hope i can afford to continue this lifestyle for a long while, as it is SO simple, i can still enjoy social times and eat very well and i can keep strength up while losing some blubber. What’s not to love???

Rockin’ along!

Nothing but MAG10 all day until 90 minutes prior to training and had Indigo, then a Finibar and then Plazma. Jumped right in to lifting after a few minutes of warming up.

Training 21 May 2013

1. Deadlifts 5 x 5 @ 380. Smoked them!

2a. Reverse Crunches on TRX 3 x 12 @ BW
2b. Single Leg Weighted Back Extensions on GHM 2 x 8 @ 5#. Held at top for 2 count.

3a. Crossover Planks on TRX 4 x 15 @ BW with 2 second hold
3b. Glute Ham Raises 4 x 5 @ BW. Moved pins all the way in so no holes showing. OUCH! Much harder, but better for me.

1. Work Capacity Alternate Ring Rows (BW) with KB Swings (44#) 10-10, 9-9, 8-8, etc down to 1-1 and then back up to 5-5.

Grilling some meat now, potatoes in the oven and salad ready to go. Feeling good and no joint pain either, despite all the heavy (for me!) weight. Tomorrow is a non-training day, so i will just be chucking MAG10 until suppertime. Received several complements today from others that don’t know about my experiment. Solid proof of its effectiveness, which is good for me.