The Basics of BCAA Supplementation

Hey,
last winter, I was lucky to win a supplement package from a little startup company. Some of it I emptied pretty quickly (their whey, for instance), some of it, such as some multivitamins and BCAA pills, are still somewhere in a drawer - mainly because I have no idea how to use them.

So… How, or why, do you use BCAAs? How much do you take, pre- post- workout/sleep etc? If anyone doesn’t feel like writing a detailed response but just decides to leave a link to a recommended article, that’s fine by me.

Cheers

Depends really, but pre/intra/ post workout most of the time or before fasted cardio, if thats your thing

It’s similar to protein powders but faster absorbed and concentrated with specific amino acids, geared towards more of a protein synthesis.

People usually surround their workouts with them, 5-10 gr pre/intra/post works fine.You’ll especially see the benefits while loosing fat rather than bulking. I like them before high intensity conditioning, since i can go in rather empty stomach.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Hey,
last winter, I was lucky to win a supplement package from a little startup company. Some of it I emptied pretty quickly (their whey, for instance), some of it, such as some multivitamins and BCAA pills, are still somewhere in a drawer - mainly because I have no idea how to use them.

So… How, or why, do you use BCAAs? How much do you take, pre- post- workout/sleep etc? If anyone doesn’t feel like writing a detailed response but just decides to leave a link to a recommended article, that’s fine by me.

Cheers[/quote]

I love BCAA’s. They increase protein synthesis, help with muscular fatigue, and they are undervalued as a recovery supplement IMO.

Personally, I usually dose them semi-high compared to the average label recommendation. 10-15g pre-workout, same amount intra-workout, same amount post-workout. As mentioned, if fasted cardio is your thing then I’d definitely use them there as well (or something like MAG-10). In addition, spiking your meals with leucine isn’t a bad idea and if you sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to piss like me, pop some BCAA’s lol!

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Hey,

Cheers[/quote]

If protein synthesis is your goal, amino acid utilization is greatly enhanced intra and post-workout from increased amino acid transporter activity via insulin (carbohydrate response) or mechanical stimulation.

Thank you for your replies.

ALWAYS pre-workout and sometimes during, as well.

Also should mention that I tend to train fasted or after one (smallish) meal at most.

For what it’s worth, if you start using them, and end up liking the results, you can get 99.999% of the same effect by just using leucine (one of the BCAAs)

pre workout for training performance, mid/intra for size and great pump