T Nation

The Back Thickness Thing

For the life of me, I don't understand what people mean when they refer to "back thickness". They say do deadlifts and you will have back thickness. Is it the same thing as back width? I got obsessed with pullups and chinups last summer and as a result my lats became twice as wide as my hips. I haven't started doing deadlifts yet. I'm attaching a pic..

My back routine consists of pullups, chinups, and heavy weigthed face-pulls. Which dimension of my back is supposed to grow when I'll start deadliting? Could someone explain?

It’s simple: Your spinal erectors will get bigger and stick out, much like a big chest sticks out when looked at sideways.
Judging from your pic (btw, couldn’t you have aimed the camera a LITTLE bit higher?) your spinal erectors are not even distinguishable at 10% bf so it’s about damn time to shut up and deadlift!

Ahh, that makes sense. Sorry about the buttcrack thing, it was unintentional.

Thickness means also lower traps developpement. Basically, you can appreciate it from a side picture. What you’re showing in your pic is back width. Thibaudeau explain it here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/triple_threat

By doing traditional deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, good mornings and back extensions, among other things, you should start to develop those erectors. here’s an example of some very well developed ones.

Here’s a better example.