The Australian Revolution

I am not in Sydney and have never lived there so I dont know what the ‘real’ reason behind the actions are and I dont know if what the media is reporting is correct or not.

The only thing that I do know is that watching the news reports and reading the news papers regarding these incidents makes me embarassed to be an Aussie. I always that we had things worked out a bit more than what has been displayed.

I acknowledge that Australia always has had, and always will have it fair share of racist people and racially based confrontations. But the extreme level of the recent riots is disgusting.

I dont think the government can be blamed and I dont think that a zero tolerance attitude would have changed the situation. I do know that the NSW government is rushing some new laws through parliament to give the police greater power of some kind. Lets hope it has an impact and also hope that the people of Cronulla can stop disgracing themselves and our country with these appalling attitudes and actions.

I would hardly call these acts a ‘revolution.’

I think Australians just like to fear other races and feel like they are always being victimised. My reason for making this statement is simply look at how people want to stop trade with Singapore because one man got hung for traficking drugs. He knew the risk that he was running. He got caught three years ago and no one knew about it at all. It only came into the media when all this shit about Schappelle Corby, Michelle Leslie and the Bali-9 got brought up. I mean, I couldn’t care less about what happens to any of these people, because they all knew the risk that they were running. Also, how many of these people even know what is happening to the Bali-9 now, I mean, they kinda dropped outta the spotlight, once it became apparent that none of them were a 'Gold Coast beauty"or an underwear model…

Now onto the issue at hand, in my personal experience I have always found ‘skips’ to be the most racist bunch (a generalisation of course). I am of mixed background and have been confused for being from almost every continent on the planet, ie people have thought that I’m; Greek, Lebanese, South-East Asian, South American, and consequently I have experienced racism - always from white people.

The first poster said that the Australians are having a revolution against rape and the other crimes that they have had to endure - here I think he is making an assumption that only white people are ‘Australians.’ And this is one thing that fucking well shits me. How is a white man more Australian than me, any Lebanese person or any other person of a different background? I hate it when some fucking yobbo tells me to “Go back to my country.” I mean why? Because he was a convict (yes i know, another generalisation) on a ship and arrived here 200 years before my family?

Anyways that’s the end of my rant.

[quote]d.mac wrote:
I would hardly call these acts a ‘revolution.’

[/quote]

Not yet.

I know a lot of Greeks that i thought they were from South East Asia and i have meet a lot of people from South East Asia who i thought they were from Greece, what a load of bullshit.

By the way the guy who was hung in Singapore was of asian extraction or was he from Greece. There was a principle behind the protests of people that was being against the death penalty.

The rest of your racist rant i am not going to respond to, apart from have a look at the definition of revolution, some definitions appear to fit the bill.

[quote]Brenzo wrote:
This has been coming for a long time, Lebanese youths constantly go to Cronulla and harrass people of other backgrounds, this can involve the local girls, such as calling them sluts or physically harrassing them, or trying to provoke fights with local boys, this usually will involve a group of about 10-15 lebs ganging up on 1-2 “Skips”. People were sick and tired of this shit happening and it came to surface when a group of lebs bashed 3 lifeguards who asked them to stop playing soccer because it was annoying the other people on the beach. Sunday (the day of the riots) was supposed to be a show of force but, fuelled by alcohol, some people saw it as an opportunity to give back what they have been copping for years.

Retaliation attacks happened later that night at Maroubra and The Shire involving lebanese smashing cars and stabbing two people and Ive heard reports that they have threatened women of Anglo-Celtic Background with rape.

The authorities and lebanese representatives are sitting around saying race isnt involved but they are simply deluding themselves and trying to maintain the facade of multiculturalism. If the police and the authorities addressed the problem earlier then people would never had to take things into their own hands thus they are at fault whilst the media is also to blame for fanning the waves of hatred over the lifeguard bashing. [/quote]

Spot on…i completly agree

[quote] “I hate it when some fucking yobbo tells me to “Go back to my country.” I mean why? Because he was a convict (yes i know, another generalisation) on a ship and arrived here 200 years before my family?”

[/quote]

You got told to go back to your country by a 200 year old yobbo convict? I havent seen many of those around lately.

[quote]sikunt wrote:
“I hate it when some fucking yobbo tells me to “Go back to my country.” I mean why? Because he was a convict (yes i know, another generalisation) on a ship and arrived here 200 years before my family?”

You got told to go back to your country by a 200 year old yobbo convict? I havent seen many of those around lately.[/quote]

It must have been real hard to extrapolate what I meant, but nice try at humour.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
I know a lot of Greeks that i thought they were from South East Asia and i have meet a lot of people from South East Asia who i thought they were from Greece, what a load of bullshit.

By the way the guy who was hung in Singapore was of asian extraction or was he from Greece. There was a principle behind the protests of people that was being against the death penalty.

The rest of your racist rant i am not going to respond to, apart from have a look at the definition of revolution, some definitions appear to fit the bill.
[/quote]

I assume that you were replying to me. So first of all, if you took the time to read my post you would have noticed that I never specified where I was from, I just said I was from mixed background but different people have thought that I am from all kinds of places.

Secondly, I never said that the man hung in Singapore was Greek, so I don’t know what point you were trying to make there.

And about being against the death penalty, every time you go overseas the Australian government/tourism people or whoever always warn you to be aware of the laws of the country you are going to and the consequences of braking these laws, so really whose fault is it that he got caught and hung?

As for the definition of revolution, according to dictionary.com

a. Orbital motion about a point, especially as distinguished from axial rotation: the planetary revolution about the sun.
b. A turning or rotational motion about an axis.
c. A single complete cycle of such orbital or axial motion.

1. The overthrow of one government and its replacement with another.
  2. A sudden or momentous change in a situation: the revolution in computer technology.

Obviously, all of the first ones are immediately discounted (I thought that I would point this out for you, seeing as it is apparent you don’t read very carefully)
I don’t see any government being overthrown.
And here I will throw you a bone, the only change in situation are the fights when before there were none.

But then I ask you, how is this a ‘revolution’ when the acts that occured last year in Redfern with the Aboriginals were merely riots?

And by the way thanks for pointing out my racism, which for your information I am not. I simply stated I hate the white racists (just in case some of you needed this spelt out for you) who seem to think that this coutry is somehow theirs, when in fact this is laughable. I think if you believe that these acts truly are about to begin a revolution then you indeed are the racist.

Furthermore, I would like to question all of you calling this a ‘revolution’ how much you know about these gangs (here I shall point out that I do not claim to know a great deal, because some people like to pick at minutia) or whether you just feed off whatever the media throws to you?

Revolution, a dramatic and wide reaching change in the way something works or is organized or in people's ideas about it.
  Guess you could say that peoples ideas about Australian society has changed, check out the headlines from around the world, let alone Australia.
 In re to the hanging, its not about whether he was hung or not, it is about the principle of capital punishment, guess you choose to ignore that, there will be more than enough media coverage on the Bali 9 when they are put up against the wall.
The quote''i hate all white racists'' sums up your attitude well, your one of these people who only see what you want to see, you only hate white racists? what about yellow ones or black ones, or red or pokka dot ones, guess they don't count for someone who just hates white racists, that sounds like racism to me.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
The quote’‘i hate all white racists’’ sums up your attitude well, your one of these people who only see what you want to see, you only hate white racists? what about yellow ones or black ones, or red or pokka dot ones, guess they don’t count for someone who just hates white racists, that sounds like racism to me.

[/quote]

Yeah now I can see where I went wrong. In my first post I said that I have only experienced racism personally (ie either directed at myself, my family or friends) - from white people, and was merely pointing out that there are more racist white Autralians than the general white populace likes to believe. And yes I do hate racists of all colours.

Now I know some Lebanese people who are racist, some Asians who are racist, some Indians who are racist etc, my point was simply that some Australians are up there with the worst of them.

My reason for taking this view point was that everyone seemed to be attacking and condemning the Lebanese community like they have had a stranglehold over the Australian community at small and large and that we were finally being liberated. I feel this is not the case and so argued against the majority on this board.

And so back to the riots, In Wednesday’s the Daily Telegraph on page four I found a small excerpt entitled, “Peace offer by 'Bra Boys”

with the following quoted from this article,

"Sunny Abberton - brother of surfstar Koby Abberton - said the 'Bra Bys would help broker peace.

‘Mate, we are shocked to be dragged into this,considering it all started in North Cronulla,’ he said.

‘Even though we were involved on Sunday night in protecting our suburb, we are far from racist. In fact the Boys are quite multicultural and it’s a big multicultural community.’"

This makes more sense to me. Seeing as if this gang is fighting simply to protect their turf, that a lot of what else is going on is the racism, with at least equal amounts coming from the white Australian side.

Like the story of ‘Issa,’ a Lebanese kid from Bankstown who was bashed by about 30 white people whilst he had his hands voluntarily behind his back, repeatedly telling them he was as Australian as them.

But then aussie486 you are saying that the 'revolution’taking place is about the way the rest of the world views Australians, whilst the original poster seems to think that this revolution is coming in the form of the overthrow of some form of tyrannical power.

Furthermore, the news headlines around the world seem to be completely whack, why were some earlier posters talking of neo-Nazis? I could swear we didn’t have such a large group of neo-Nazis in Sydney.

D.mac, I hope you aren’t of the opinion that the majority of Aussies who have posted on this thread see this as any kind of cultural Revolution, aside from the original poster that is. If I read over them, the general consensus seems to be one of condemnation or regret at the way Australia is being presented.

No one race has the monopoly on ignorance and bigotry, which is quite evident from the behaviour on both sides. To lump the events of the past week, however, with major historical revolutions - think American and French - is just plain ridiculous. Let’s just hope something positive comes out of this in the washup.

Cheers.

What are the laws in Australia regarding private ownership of weapons, particularly firearms?

The goverment are pretty strict on firearms here, but in saying that it still isn’t hard to get one. There are two problems here in my opinion. Firstly the goverment listens more to the bleeding hearts and the minority. Multicultural doesn’t mean that ethnic groups move here and don’t make any effort to fit in. The second point is that you make any criticism against an ethnic group then you’re labelled a racist. But if an ethnic group says something similiar to an Anglo-Saxon then it’s OK.

I’m of German decent and don’t give a fuck when someone calls me a saurkraut. Why? Because I’m proud of my heritage. If only people from other races were as proud. In saying that I ALWAYS call myself Australian.

I think you have a chip on your shoulder. I have experienced racism and every time it has been from aborigines, however I do not go around saying that ‘abos’ like to fear other races or ‘abos’ are the most racist race in the world. Far from it.

Also, your reliance on generalisations weakens your argument. I believe if you want to make a valid statement, you shouldn’t use generalisations. It only opens you up to hypocrisy.

Hriliu999, I agree that the general consensus of the aussies on the thread doesn’t see this as a cultural revolution, but in the context of my first post it was surely evident. However I do agree with the rest of you post.

In response to bundy when you said that:

I’m of German decent and don’t give a fuck when someone calls me a saurkraut. Why? Because I’m proud of my heritage. If only people from other races were as proud. In saying that I ALWAYS call myself Australian.

I understand this. However, when it becomes a problem is when a white person believes they are more “Australian” than me or any other non-white person, and when told to leave the country it gets under my skin.

And furthermore, in response to jacross when you said that:

I think you have a chip on your shoulder. I have experienced racism and every time it has been from aborigines, however I do not go around saying that ‘abos’ like to fear other races or ‘abos’ are the most racist race in the world. Far from it.

Also, your reliance on generalisations weakens your argument. I believe if you want to make a valid statement, you shouldn’t use generalisations. It only opens you up to hypocrisy.

I never said that white Australians fear other races, I said that I think Australians, in general, like to feel victimised, and my reason for saying this is simply the way everything gets portrayed in the media and the publics response to it.

Also, I didn’t say that they (white Australians) were the most racist race in the world either, I was giving first hand anecdotes of racism from white people, because other people were saying how racist the Lebanese community is. I was arguing by saying that some white Australians are very racist also, not just the ones who publicise it. However, I can see how my argument weakened when I swore repeatedly whilst saying this…

And finally, in response to my use of generalisations, I agree with you in other situations. However, doesn’t all racism involve generalisations? So, to emphasise my point, rather than weaken it, I made those generalisations.

Interesting observations re: the media coverage of the Sydney situation by former head of the UPI John O’Sullivan:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/05_12_11_corner-archive.asp#084847

IN AUSTRALIA [John O’Sullivan]
In the coverage of the Sydney “race riots,” as in the Katrina coverage a few months back, the internet and the blogosphere have shown that they are indispensable to understanding such events. Without them we would be captives of–the establishment media’s reporting and interpretations both suffused with liberal assumptions. With them, we get three avenues of correction. First, bloggers do their own eye-witness reporting, often better-informed than the establishment press. We can then test what the Beeb or Time reports against their accounts. (No, the bloggers are not always accurate and unprejudiced. But neither are the Beeb and Time. And the bloggers, being diverse, correct each other as well as the professionals.) Second, the bloggers do some extremely useful research, going into the background of stories like the riots and giving us a historical perspective that the old serious broadsheets used to offer but no longer do. Here is a good example: a policeman’s analysis from early this year in the Australian magazine Quadrant ( http://www.quadrant.org.au/php/archive_details_list.php?article_id=581 )–to which I was directed by British Blogger Melanie Phillips, showing how sensitive liberal policing prepared the ground for these riots over a long period. And, finally, the internet also allows us to check one conventional media outlet against another. This can be very revealing–revealing among other things that conservative papers often reproduce the conventional liberal wisdom of the local media community. Here, for instance, is the London Daily Telegraph’s op-ed by its Sydney correspondent, Nick Squires ( http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/12/15/do1502.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/12/15/ixopinion.html ). It is a readable and competent piece of journalism. But check its ideological drift against a similar analysis in the Australian by the Aussie historian (and occasional NR contributor) Keith Windschuttle ( http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17580509%255E7583,00.html ). Thus subjects the insta-liberal interpretations of the riots to searching and well-informed criticism. As they used to say: you be the judge.

[quote]d.mac wrote:
I never said that white Australians fear other races, [/quote]

[quote]d.mac wrote:
I think Australians just like to fear other races[/QUOTE]

HAHA dude you are funny.

Nice response jacross.

I too find you funny.

I have to back up the real Aussies here, lacross and Bundy among other. Somebody finally decided to do something about the problem… this should’ve happend a long time ago. It’s the same story all over the world.

[quote]quietpro wrote:
I have to back up the real Aussies here, lacross and Bundy among other. Somebody finally decided to do something about the problem… this should’ve happend a long time ago. It’s the same story all over the world. [/quote]

So you are saying I’m not a real aussie? Fucking lucky you get to hide behind an internet screen with comments like that. What a hero.