T Nation

The Attorney General Under Fire

Poor guy, he appears to be dealing with the stress by hitting the buffet table, extra hard.

So lets see, what’s new… Newt Gingrich called for him to resign. That’s gotta hurt.

Here’s a funny article from the news. It says that Gonzales’ story is so convoluted that even he can’t keep it straight anymore. See, that’s the thing about telling the truth… you never have to struggle to remember what you already said before, if you’re consistently telling the truth. The truth is easy to remember, if you always stick with it. But now even Gonzales’ handlers are fed up with his inability to choose an explanation, and stick with it.

And in the meantime, Gonzales has given up on actually doing his job, while he works on his presentation skills, for his Senate testimony on April 17th. I don’t see how not having an active Attorney General can be good.

At a recent “prep” for a prospective Sunday talk-show interview, Gonzales’s performance was so poor that top aides scrapped any live appearances.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17995971/site/newsweek/

Yet another example of Bush cronyism, blowing up in their faces…

Agreed… How can a “respected” official say, in variations, “I don’t recall”, or, “Idon’t remember”, 76 times!!! And people, and the weazel, support him! What do the American people think is acceptable behavior from an official? Impeach, arrest, and get back to peace.

Wasn’t there already a thread on Gonzales?

Oh, and speaking of that thread, we are all waiting on your explanation as to which of Congress “co-equal powers” are being infringed upon by Bush’s executive prerogative.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Wasn’t there already a thread on Gonzales?[/quote]

Actually, this thread predates the one started by Headhunter by 10 days.

Anyway, how normal is it for the head of the US Dept of Justice to have to do so much lying, evading and forgetting?

Whatever happened to the truth, the whole truth and nothing by the truth?

[quote]pookie wrote:

Anyway, how normal is it for the head of the US Dept of Justice to have to do so much lying, evading and forgetting?

Whatever happened to the truth, the whole truth and nothing by the truth?
[/quote]

I have no allegiance or love for Gonzales. I think he has been equal parts wimp and twerp, and he is an embarrassment to the position. I wish he wasn’t in the position, but there is no way he will step down and reward the Democrats for their actions.

Congress has no power to butt into the executive prerogative of hiring and firing attorneys. As usual, the Democrats operate by a Constitution that none of the rest of us are privy to.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
pookie wrote:

Anyway, how normal is it for the head of the US Dept of Justice to have to do so much lying, evading and forgetting?

Whatever happened to the truth, the whole truth and nothing by the truth?

I have no allegiance or love for Gonzales. I think he has been equal parts wimp and twerp, and he is an embarrassment to the position. I wish he wasn’t in the position, but there is no way he will step down and reward the Democrats for their actions.

Congress has no power to butt into the executive prerogative of hiring and firing attorneys. As usual, the Democrats operate by a Constitution that none of the rest of us are privy to.[/quote]

You aren’t privy to U.S. Constitution? I think you could google it. Congressional oversight is widely accepted as implied in the constitution, and errr… has been upheld by the uhh supreme court… uhh for the love of god how do you not know this already?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I have no allegiance or love for Gonzales. I think he has been equal parts wimp and twerp, and he is an embarrassment to the position. I wish he wasn’t in the position, but there is no way he will step down and reward the Democrats for their actions.[/quote]

Fuck the Democrats. If he had any character, he’d do it out of shame and respect for the office and the American people.

We tolerate way too much crap from our public servants.

Everything always boils down to partisan politicking… Politics have always been a dirty business, but is it just me, or are we reaching ever new lows? Or is it just the pain of my last shreds of naivete being torn away?

[quote]100meters wrote:

You aren’t privy to U.S. Constitution? I think you could google it. Congressional oversight is widely accepted as implied in the constitution[/quote]

Nonsense - you are just winging it at this point.

Doe Congress have “implied” oversight of the President’s veto power too?

Great - show the where the Supreme Court has upheld it and we can discuss.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Fuck the Democrats. If he had any character, he’d do it out of shame and respect for the office and the American people.

We tolerate way too much crap from our public servants.[/quote]

I agree, but both parties are scared stiff to push it beyond ordinary grandstanding politics to score some points.

Democrats don’t want the next Bill Clinton to have Republicans meddling in areas of executive privilege - and they know it.

Republicans (some) don’t want Gonzales to step down because it sets a bad precedent for the future - i.e., political bullying can possibly get changes in the executive branch, which Congress has no business doing.

But I agree - we are reaching new lows. Everything is partisan posturing and vendetta politics. Democrat or Republican, I’d probably vote for anyone willing to bring back some institutional integrity to the government.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
Poor guy, he appears to be dealing with the stress by hitting the buffet table, extra hard.

…[/quote]

He is bulking.

[quote]micromuscle wrote:
Agreed… How can a “respected” official say, in variations, “I don’t recall”, or, “Idon’t remember”, 76 times!!! And people, and the weazel, support him! What do the American people think is acceptable behavior from an official? Impeach, arrest, and get back to peace.[/quote]

76 times, huh?

I think that puts him in third place, right behind Oliver North and Ronald Reagan.

Nope, scratch that. Gonzales is in fifth place.

Ollie and Ronnie were edged out by John Poindexter, who uttered the phrase (or variation thereof) 184 times in five days of testimony, and Ed Meese, who said it 340 times in only two days during the Iran-Contra hearings.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He is bulking.[/quote]

No way.

In his pathetic show last week, the guy exhibited serious testoserone deficiency; attribute of the fat slob not the meat-driven bulker.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Nope, scratch that. Gonzales is in fifth place.

Ollie and Ronnie were edged out by John Poindexter, who uttered the phrase (or variation thereof) 184 times in five days of testimony, and Ed Meese, who said it 340 times in only two days during the Iran-Contra hearings.

[/quote]

If anything, he is estrogen loading… The Iran-Contra saved Daddy Bush’s ass, so that now we are dealing with sonny boy’s buddys. Oh well, another year and 7 months. Hope we all survive!